Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,918   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

Postcard Exchange Round 25 comments and feedback

Hi all,

Again, as in previous rounds, let us move from the sign-up thread to this thread to collect comments, feedback, being-late-announcements and my-cards-are-in-the-mail-messages.

I am looking forward to this new round and I hope that everybody will have fun.

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, as in previous rounds, here is the list of participants (for easy reference):

andrew.vartabedian (MAX)
    anikin (25)
    Azzy (15)
    Black Dog (MAX)
    bluejeh (MAX)
    bluejeh2 (40)
    ccross (MAX)
    ChristopherCoy (25)
    crispinuk (25)
    delphine (MAX)
    Derek Lofgreen (MAX)
    drpsilver (MAX)
    George Nova Scotia (MAX)
    gordrob (30)
    guitstik (MAX)
    hoffy (25)
    jackie_like_the_chan (25)
    Jon King (MAX)
    KanFotog (25)
    Kc2edh (MAX)
    kraker (25)
    labcoat (20)
    Laurent (30)
    markbarendt (40)
    markrewald (MAX)
    MattKing (28)
    megzdad81 (25)
    Mike Wilde (30)
    mooseontheloose (40)
    Nige (25)
    Oxleyroad (30)
    ozphoto (25)
    paul_c5x4 (15)
    piu58 (20)
    Ricus.stormfire (20)
    Rob Skeoch (MAX)
    rst (40)
    Steelbar (30)
    Terry Christian (20)
    tj01 (MAX)
    Trond (MAX)
    winger (25)

Along with a link to the Postcard Exchange FAQ: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/...hange-faq.html

Now to get to work on my labels, because my prints are done

Have fun everyone!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My work on the labelling was a bit fun and rather nostalgic.

After hearing all the past grief Lillian (Sly) had with labels I thought better of trying to configure the computer to print them.

My handwriting/printing has never been too legible, so I thought typing might be the best way to not vex letter sorters and letter carriers the world over.

So I did them using a typewriter. I have not used a typewriter in 25 or so years. But I have one at my disposal again.

That was because about two weeks ago, as a part of an auction lot that I bid on and consequently won (mostly for the nice paper cutter that was in it), I ended up with a late model compact electric typewriter. Brother AX-24. Actually it is a bit of a word processor. It is interesting to see what was done to try to stave off the advance of the computer word processors in the late 80's. Of course the user manual to access the fancy features was easily dug up from a quick search of the Web.

Well, you have all seen my typing skills here, so you know I did not think it prudent to fire it up in earnest until I replenished its empty correction tape spool. It turns out, a bit to my surprise, that the parts are easily souced as stock items at my local Office Depot, and not a bad price either.

So this past Saturday morning my two kids hovered around as I fished out some label stock I have had hanging about, and proceeded to type out the addresses. It turns out they had never seen a 'real- as they said it' typewriter in action.

All up I did them in about 20 minutes, which it turns out is a bit faster than me handwriting then, and much neater, when I am the one doing the writing.

After I was done with the machine my kids typed on it sporadically over the balance of the weekend. Then, irony of ironies, last night the oldest one wanted me to hook 'my' scanner up to 'his' computer. He wanted to scan his typewritten text, and then proceed oo post it as an image on his Facebook page. I put him off, but I think the request will be made again.

For Ed and Judith Higham (bluejeh and bluejeh2) I fished up one of my spare round 24 creations in lieu of the r25 images and sent it on to Ed, so as to let them get a bit more diversity in the images.

This morning I gave Delphine a Z over a Y with a Sharpie marker on her label, and then dropped them all in the post box to be picked up with this evenings collections.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for the correction.

You did better than I on the label front. I always lost my zen trying to print the labels today. The typewriter is probably the way to go!

D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know label woes have been discused ad nauseum here before.

A fresh thought.

Avery makes a label that is all 'one piece', 8.5x11" for N American distribution. I presume there is a metric sized variant. By all one piece I mean that there is no separate divisions between the sticky backed paper on the page.

I have thought ' Why not format the addresses in your word processor so they look good on the page, and then print (or photocopy) onto this label material'.

Then cut it into strips to suit the text you have printed onto it, peel off the backing release sheet, and paste the now sticky exposed 'label' onto the envelope or postcard they were meant for.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Extra cards and heads up re: Sean

Previous exchange participants will recall that a number of people like to send extra cards to a few people - namely Sean, the owner here, Simon at Ilford and the head of film products at Kodak. As I understand it, all such postcards are very appreciated.

At the present time, Sean is in the midst of a move, so I have emailed him to ask if he has an address we can use.

Here are the other addresses:

Sean Ross
    **in between houses, will post a new address soon** - SEE BELOW

Simon Galley
    HARMAN Technology Ltd
    Town Lane
    Mobberley, Knutsford
    Cheshire, WA16 7JL
    United Kingdom

Brad Kruchten
    President Film Products Group
    Eastman Kodak Company
    343 State Street
    Rochester, New York 14650
    USA

I bet Mr. Krutchen could really use cheering up!

EDIT: I've just heard from Sean, who indicates that he hopes to have his new address and be ready to receive mail in about a week. He asks that we wait until he advises before any cards are sent.
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-06-2012 at 10:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Matt could I ask you to update this thread with Sean's address if he does not. Saves the rest of us looking for it separately an possibly missing it.
    Last edited by Oxleyroad; 02-07-2012 at 05:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I know label woes have been discused ad nauseum here before.

A fresh thought.

Avery makes a label that is all 'one piece', 8.5x11" for N American distribution. I presume there is a metric sized variant. By all one piece I mean that there is no separate divisions between the sticky backed paper on the page.

I have thought ' Why not format the addresses in your word processor so they look good on the page, and then print (or photocopy) onto this label material'.

Then cut it into strips to suit the text you have printed onto it, peel off the backing release sheet, and paste the now sticky exposed 'label' onto the envelope or postcard they were meant for.
    This is how I print out my labels - I got tired of everything never lining up! But I have had wonderful success with Avery's 6x4" page of labels that work an absolute treat. They're a great size to write up a description (my cards have used these for the past couple of rounds) and the address too.

Can't remember the product number, but they advertise them as being used for both handwritten and printed labels - in hanging, plastic packaging rather than the usual A4 size. Think each sheet has 6 labels from memory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My postcards are in the mail. This is probably the earliest I've ever done my cards. Yay!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My cards are in the mail too. Enjoy it!
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin