Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,221   Online: 794

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Postcard Exchange #28 Comments and Feedback

Darwin,

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, please take care of your mom first! Comments and postcards can definitely wait! Family always comes first!

I hope she feels better soon, and I'll say a quick prayer for your mom and family!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darwin, hope your mum is doing better and better every day.
    Family and loved ones are *the* most important thing - everything else is secondary.

Look forward to you reporting she is home and feeling much better, very soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know I'm still in this thing. I've been swamped with work and life (such as it is) these past weeks, and when I get into the darkroom I am struggling to come up with a print that I feel I can send out. I think I am close and I promise I will be mailing out my cards as soon as I can.

Regards,
    Anthony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yesterday I received a very fine Card from Christopher Coy. He took the Image in the Café du monde in New Orleans. Thank you very much!
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also received a cards from:

Christopher Coy, "Beignettes for Breakfast" - great framing and focus, would love some myself!
    Delphine, "Rainy Day" - excellent and abstract, could be interpreted in many ways
    Kraker, "Bustling or empty - 10 - Dungelmann" - a lovely pinhole image that has a timeless feel to it
    JimO, "Sunshine Skyway" - great detail in the clouds, unfortunately it's discolouring a bit
    Oxleyroad, "Termite Mounds" - a nice view of some interesting formations
    Megzdad81, "Streamside Detail 4" - wonderful texture in the rocks and nice deep blacks

Thanks everyone for the great images!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    Received 'Rainy Day' from Delphine, very clever, I really like it, thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two more cards:
    Rainy day form Delphin. Steh transformation from normal postcard paper into a stand up card is great. How did you produce the fold?
    Termite mounds from Oxleyroad. Fery fine sujet, I love the baryta paper and the large format. My wife enjoyed this card too.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a stack of cards on my desk that keeps nagging me to comment on them. And rightfully so.

Let's go through the stack, starting with Mike Wilde's threesome. Craftsmanship as always, the things you manage to do with old paper, it never ceases to amaze me. Take the Korean War Veteran's Memorial, for example. Lots of shadow details in the trees, full tonal range; very well executed. Avra's eyes and face also keep attracting my attention. As does anikin's not-so-everyday shot of a utility pole in the middle of the road. Funny thing, that. The paper also has a nice feel and look to it, what paper is it? Jim17x's couple of ducks I also like very much. Spent my childhood living at the waterfront, so this picture surely evokes memories. The ducks, the low hanging leaves, the ripples in the water bringing out the sun's reflection, lovely. Which can also be said of mooseontheloose's "What remains". Lovely. Dreamy. Eerie. I hope you never run out of HIE stock, you keep amazing me with beautiful photos. drpsilver (hang in there, Darwin, hope it all works out OK for your mother, your father and you) sends a photo of a cairn in Italy, lovely detail, it's almost as if I can touch those rocks. rince's fleeting moment, the photo and the story come together to form a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. One detail though, from a keen observer: it looks like a mirror image, from the text on the lock. Works for me, but I'm just wondering if it was meant that way. ozphoto, Drew, a very nice portrait, a bit mangled by the postal system somewhere en-route, but that's all in the game of the exchange. I must admit there's a bit of a dichotomy here, the headgear that obviously goes with the uniform versus the mention of the shaved head. Well, some mystery should remain, I suppose. ChristopherCoy's card arrived today, made me hungry. That looks like a nice breakfast, I'm sure that would set me up to go go go for a few hours. Nice framing, just the part of the face, I like it.

That's 8 out of 20 received, not taking into consideration any cards that I may have temporarily misplaced . Thanks so far, looking out for more exciting cards!

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    There's a stack of cards on my desk that keeps nagging me to comment on them. And rightfully so.

rince's fleeting moment, the photo and the story come together to form a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. One detail though, from a keen observer: it looks like a mirror image, from the text on the lock. Works for me, but I'm just wondering if it was meant that way.
    Great catch I just liked the composition better this way around and I hoped it would not be to obstrusive. In the end this is how I saw the image in the first place when looking on my groundglass
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bunch more times not long since the last round of comments from me, so people must be getting going....

Christopher Coy- Café Du Monde- A nice hand crafted looking envelope and card contained a nice, if unconventionally framed, image. The motif of the fleur-du-lis ties in well with the New Orleans reference. The photo is of someone about to tuck into a breakfast or snack. The out of focus area in the background works well to highlight the crisp foreground elements. The inclusion of part of a person’s face establishes the activity. There is a good spread of tones from a suitably washed out upper corner leading down to the diagonally opposite detail-less shadow of the patron’s jacket. A niggling detail is the bright edge of light under the table. I think the image might have been a bit tighter if that part of the frame was cropped out. I found it tended to pull focus.

Delphine - Rainy Day. An abstracted flow of tones across what I interpret may be an iced over pane of a window. The area behind the diffusing surface shows us a pattern of somewhat random linear elements. These are all too many words to describe a photo that works well for me. Then there is ant neat idea to score the card and provide a note on the back to fold along the score to make the image into a free standing card. Well done.

George Nova Scotia - Shadows on Snow. A great eye for shadow patterns in everyday items has resulted in this delightful capture. A not too overcast and not too clear of a day gave the perfect time to interpret what I see as the base of a playground climber, casting shadows onto a trackless coating of snow. The kind of image only those who are up early or who are out to walk the dog see in my parts before little feet make their mark. Nice.

Jim O – Tampa Bay Sunshine Skyway sans sun. This is a scene worth recording; there are not a lot of these days from my time spent in this area. My parents had a mobile home just north of the Tropicana factory in a town called Palmetto. I like the minimalist placing of the horizon low, to give emphasis to the cloud formations. And nice detail in the clouds with contrast control – none are burned out, and the image tone overall is just right.

Kraker – Bustling or empty- A very nice view of a village square or high street devoid of people – oh, wait, it is a pinhole. Quite nice and sharp; the hole size must be optimized for the focal length you are attempting to emulate. Mine come out a bit muddier. Nice paper – shame it is gone to the past. I quite liked Brovira. Mailing in the envelope did the uncurling trick for my print- it has stayed flat since I took it out.

Ozphoto – Drew the Police Officer- Quite a nice portrait. If you pulled this off with studio lights you have done a great job emulating some light from the shop window kind of look.
    If really shot with light from the shop window, you have handled the lighting very well, or were quite lucky. Sometimes my best shots come down to plain old luck.

Keep the greta images coming, people. It is always nicer to find postcards instead of bills and bank statements in my mail box after work.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin