Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,965   Online: 890

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    There is a good spread of tones from a suitably washed out upper corner leading down to the diagonally opposite detail-less shadow of the patron’s jacket. A niggling detail is the bright edge of light under the table. I think the image might have been a bit tighter if that part of the frame was cropped out. I found it tended to pull focus.

Mike,

You have NO IDEA how happy the comment about the tones makes me. I worked VERY VERY hard on this one, using single grade filters and exposure time, and even dodging/burning to make this set. After the comments about tones in the last exchange, I wanted to improve that part of my skills so I've been trying everything extensively to get better at it.

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rince View Post
    Great catch I just liked the composition better this way around and I hoped it would not be to obstrusive. In the end this is how I saw the image in the first place when looking on my groundglass
    I thought that would be the reason, for me the composition seems better this way around as well.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm
    Received a couple of cards this week.

Christopher Coy , "Beignettes for Breakfast" - very interesting perspective.

George Nova Scotia,"Shadows on snow" - super lines , shapes and contrast. My type of shot.

Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I received two more cards today--
    Christopher Coy -- 'Beignets for Breakfast' -- I think the shot is well executed, the cup and powdered sugar on the beignets are just the right tones, and the hovering mouth in the upper right is classic positioning for the shot. The only thing missing is the smell of Luzianne coffee, although I don't think that's what they serve there in Cafe du Monde. I spent many a Sunday morning there ...
    Fozzle -- I had a little robot toy that looked like that when I was a wee bit. What we couldn't figure out was if it was a multiple exposure, taken through a display case window or just a window, or if was still beaming over!! The ambiguous shapes throughout make you think you know what you are looking at, but then you say 'no, that's not it ...'

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by megzdad81 View Post
    Fozzle -- I had a little robot toy that looked like that when I was a wee bit. What we couldn't figure out was if it was a multiple exposure, taken through a display case window or just a window, or if was still beaming over!! The ambiguous shapes throughout make you think you know what you are looking at, but then you say 'no, that's not it ...'
    I'm so glad that this shot came across that way, it's a window shot of an antique store crammed with fascinating little objects. I was trying to convey some kind of mystical element and wasn't quite sure that I'd managed it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got 3 in this week.

Christopher Coy. I was wondering what those were... Looked delicious
    -
    Delphine. Never thought about taking a shot like rainy day... Nice
    -
    George Nova. Sweet Picnic Time? Wish we could have gotten snow this year.
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I received two more postcards yesterday!!

Delphine -- Rainy Day -- very nice. I really like abstract subjects, but I am terrible at seeing them myself. It reminds me of some abstracts by Henry Holmes Smith.

George Nova Scotia -- I suppose this is just a day in the park for you. If I could find snow like that, I'd probably hate the cold (or it'd have hundreds of footprints!), and I'm not sure how well my lenses function in real cold. Mostly, it almost never snows here next to the Smokies, and when it does--I can't get away from work! Thanks for the peaceful image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found in my letterbox Shadows on snow by George Richards. A very fine shot. I love the many shades of white (snow).
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Songkran is over and my mailbox was bursting at the seams after a week away for the Thai New Year holiday.

The most important items of mail, were of course the APUG postcards!

Christopher Coy, "Beignettes for Breakfast" - made me hungry (and envious) all the same time. Great framing, that draws your eyes to the goodies that await!
    Delphine,
    "Rainy Day" - a great shot that captures a rainy day quite perfectly. The abstract view really makes this shot work.
    Oxleyroad,
    "Termite Mounds" - whilst a little mangled in the post, but the termite housing estate, did survive the 3 days of monsoonal rain from earlier this week. Great subject matter - glad they're in the national park, and not close by!!

Only 12 outstanding - look forward to more mail in the postbox soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    As does anikin's not-so-everyday shot of a utility pole in the middle of the road. Funny thing, that. The paper also has a nice feel and look to it, what paper is it?
    I'm sorry, but I gonna have to say that I don't know. I was using up my remaining stacks of 8x10 paper, so my postcards are likely to be either Ilford MG IV, Arista EDU Ultra and/or some other Arista paper.

About my postcard. Now that nearly everyone has received it, I can explain what's going on. Yes, this is a real shot on a real road. As a matter of fact, google's satellite has taken it's picture at about the same time as I did, and you can still find it on google maps by entering coordinates 45.317056,-122.782073.

Boeckman road is my favorite lunch-time biking route from work to Parrett mountain and back. The city of Wilsonville has built this road fairly recently over some wetlands. Well, low an behold, the wetlands did not like the road, and the road started to sink. Last summer, Wilsonville started to rebuild the road. I don't know the details, but I suspect they are going to move it a few feet over and do a better support so it does not sink quite as fast.

That day I was riding my favorite route to the Parrett mountain, but I saw the road being closed. I did not see anyone on the road and it looked fine, so I rode through. When I saw the light post, I just had to take the picture

Mike Wilde gets the prize for the best guess!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin