Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,048   Online: 1045

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfiltz View Post
    I didn't have postcards, so I did mine on 5x7's... Smallest paper I had.

Hope that was ok.
    It is fine for us, but you may be disappointed when you realize that the larger size means you cannot use the very reasonable postage amount that the USPS charges for 4 x 6 cards.

When I don't have 4 x 6 paper, I cut 8 x 10 into 3 cards and a bit. If I had 5 x 7 paper, I would just trim it to size.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I received two more great cards, fleeting moment form rince, and Cairn, Macugnaga, Italy from Darwin. Thank you very much!
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm
    Just checking in. My cards went out today. I've received three cards so far:

anikin: I love non sequitur photos like this. Scarier knowing it's real though; I just smile and shake my head each time I look at the photo.

drpsilver: Nicely composed and framed. Great tonality, and I especially liked the depth-of-field treatment in this image.

mooseontheloose: I had the family in the car when I pulled this out of the mailbox, and everyone stopped talking when they saw your card! It's quite striking. I'm in the process of learning more about infrared, and this is a great motivator.

That's all for now. Looking forward to the rest.

-Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've recieved 3 cards, and keep forgetting to post about them. Will do when I get home today. I'm a little late getting into the darkroom to print. I have the negative chosen, and did an 8X10 with it last month. I hopefully plan on getting up to the darkroom tonight if my infant isn't sick again. Worst case, I'll be printing over the weekend and sending out early next week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfiltz View Post
    I didn't have postcards, so I did mine on 5x7's... Smallest paper I had.

Hope that was ok.
    Postal systems vary across the world as to the largest sized document that can go for basic letter rate. USPS has a postcard rate , for to 4x6 I think.

My country has no postcard rate, and for a USA letter it is something like $1.05 now, and beyond USA, 1.85.

If you wonder why you always get a collection of 2-3 prints from me, it is because I want to get my money's worth out of these expensive stamp rates
    For me that is any letter sized document to 30g.

Paper size isa personal thing. A paper cutter in the darkroom really opens up possibilites.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No worries Mike. I just packaged them up, and dropped them off at the post office.
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pile of arrived was building beyond the 'I should comment on them soon' level for me

I presume all from R28, botanywhere, here are my comments:

Anikin – honest officer-- A neat and quirky picture; a utility pole in the middle of the road. Nice tones and framing of the elements within the image. Not as uncommon as you may think in my line of work. We design all sorts of road improvements, and getting the utilities to relocate in a timely manner is akin to trying to pull human teeth with a pair of needle nosed pliers – painful, slow and has lots of cursing and screaming involved. This pole move may have been delayed waiting to get an easement beyond the road right of way to place a guy anchor so the pole line can follow the now curving road. Often road guys don’t think of other property requirements when thy design curves like this. Still there is no apparent cable tv or telephone line tenants on this pole. Moving a line with multiple tenants, now that is a real pain!

Black Dog – Zoomed distorted landscape view- I quite like it. The sort of image I have seen in photo books for a long time, but never actually got around to trying to make for myself. You have pulled this technique off quite well.

DRPSilver- Cairn- Very nice micro-tonality in the grey foreground mid tones. The tack sharp foreground playing against a sympathetically shaped out of focus background.

Jim17x – A couple ducks- A delightful low key image, that has your eye dancing around in the frame to take in all of the information.. Dark foreground anchors the lower left well, and grows to lighter though the willows to the upper right of the frame. Everything is as good as it could be, unless you were able to ask the ducks to make a nice triangular formation leading to the light….

Mooseontheloose- Stranglehold – A novel sight, well captured and presented from the eternal IR junkie herself. I love the ethereal quality IR gives to foliage, and you have made it work here very well. A proud square print image to top it all off.

Piu58 – Old Inn in Dobilz- Neat to see some things are the same the world over, while others are more novel to certain locales. I would never see the (to me characteristic) Bavarian roof lines in anything built around me here. The street furniture – the under maintained bench, and graffiti tagged traffic controller or power or telephone pedestal, well that is more typical to just about everywhere.
    The fact that the inn grounds and old roof are so going to seed, but the antennas speak to what people value today harken me back to dream of what a more engaging pre tv age the world must have been.

Trond – On the Beach – I am glad you tilted it, because I am really not sure what I might have tried to place this image as being. It is a compelling abstraction, with the blowing scarf of perhaps a part of a person in the foreground, and the microtonal rock sitting free of the sand, with the striated sand from wave action at the upper end of the frame. Of course this is one of those images that works almost as well regardless of how you orientate it, and that to me is the mark of a good abstraction.

Warejn – View from a Cave, perhaps. Whatever it is, the image works. The strong maximum black dominating so much of the frame , with the lighter tones of the rocks, or perhaps weathered tree trunk diagonally incurring into it, injecting light to the image. A bold print. One that I certainly would not often try to pull off. I am glad you did this example so well.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A nice group of cards waiting for me, for Round 28:

Jim17x : "A Couple of Ducks" - a nice peaceful scene with some great catchlights on the water;
    Drpsilver : "Cairn, Macugnaga, Italy" - love the tones and grittiness of the subject;
    anikin : "Honest Officer" - great shot! Who would have thought. . . . . totally reminds me of a new house that was built recently with the pole right in the middle of their driveway.
    mooseontheloose : "Stranglehold" - Infrared how I miss thee!! A great subject to capture on this film. Think I have some myself - now I need to give it a go.
    mikewilde : Cards 1 & 2 bring back memories of my first visit to the US. I also shot quite a lot of images at the Korean War Memorial and the night time version you have produced does it even more justice. The Capitol building also looks quite majestic as an evening image too. The colour image of the actress in a 1920s style dress, has certainly captured her sense of fun.

Have a photo shoot over the weekend, so my cards will be in the post early/mid next week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've gotten a load of cards that are stacked on my kitchen table. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at any yet, nor have I had the opportunity to print mine. I have scheduled time at the end of next week for printing and mailing. Sorry for the delay!

I've been terribly preoccupied with other things lately, so much so that I have gotten at least 4 weeks behind on my 52 Roll project as well!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    5/27

Warejn – UTAH. This card has had everyone looking at it with great interest. A canyon, a tree, whatever. It has to be looked at time and time again.
    Mooseontheloose – Wat Remains. Rachelle 'Wat' a dreamy image you've created.
    Jim17x – A couple of Ducks. This card has a calming effect on everyone who look it.
    anikin Honest Officer... Why do these things happen. A similar thing happened at University here in Oz but it was in a new building. All the whiteboards were very carefully cut to allow the A/C thermostats to stick through the middle of them.
    Piu58Old Inn in Döbite. I like this image and your embosed name.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin