Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,358   Online: 836

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    Looking forward to Round 30!

I'll be in it as soon as I see the sign up

It will be up soon One more chore to finish first!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ROUND 30 sign on thread is up, link below in my sig.

I must say that I'm very sorry my cards haven't made it out to the world yet. They will be going very soon. It's been rather warm and humid this summer and with no air conditioning and the darkroom in a second floor spare room it's been tough. I just don't get along with the heat & humidity.

I've received many cards and hope to acknowledge them soon. One I'll mention now, kraker's card arrived in the last mail. Lovely card actually the first cyantype I've seen in person. Just one question, why does it have a stamp on the back saying it was "MISSENT TO MPC JAKARTA" ? That seems a little out of the way to get from the Netherlands to Canada.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George, that seems a little out of the way indeed. Haven't got a clue what happened there. Could have gotten stuck on another of my postcards, but then again, Jakarta was not on my list of destinations for any card this round, so that possible explanation doesn't hold up. Let's just say that it is all part of the fun of this exchange. I'm glad it reached you in the end.

Now it's time to sign up for round 30.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    in the comments I read somewhere about a blog somehow connected to the Collodion process? I'm not sure if I got that right, BUT:

dear ndrs, if there is a blog in any way about, concerning or whatever to collodion pictures: could you give me a link/access?
    please?
    thank you ever so much
    pilami

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Mine got printed yesterday. Now they wait under a heavy book until I get the time to write them. Should be sometime this week.

Since I am late again this round I should sit out round 30 - that should be enough self-punishment.

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    OK, first I will make my excuses for not commenting before now—spinal fusion on 6/6 at neck level that has provided really good medicine, and limited all activity with a hard brace to keep the head in place relative to driving, typing, developing, and picture-taking. The right (dominant) hand still doesn’t function correctly. The postcards received were a regular bright spot in 2.5 months of shut-in and recuperation. (Note to self: never re-organize negatives while under the influence of really good medicine …)
    1. Uwe —winter scene with snow bank, you later said was on 70-year-old paper—amazing!! The image still holds detail in the snow where there was just a slight tone difference. I have a 99% full 250 sheet box of 12-year- old Kodak Polymax II RC that comes out completely black no matter the exposure. South Carolina is unkind to photo paper.
    2. Steve Frizza—Mr. Jiggs—thank you for the picture of my son with his first camera … Honestly, we loved it here, but were confused as to where it came from, or if you actually shot the picture since you mention Tri-X—seeing as how the postcard came from Australia, and Wikipedia says Mr. Jiggs died 10 years before the first Polaroid Land Camera. Just asking …
    3. Bruce McCaughey—“The Boat Building Shed”—wonderful tonality and crispness in the detail.
    4. Ed Bray—“GWR Pannier Tank 6430”—wonderful that the engine and coach have been preserved. It looks like there is exhaust coming from the stack—is this regularly operating engine? Thank you for the backstory to the image subject . Is it the full frame for the 5x7 negative?
    5. Matt King—“Pump House Graffiti”—very interesting approach with the toning. The graffiti artist looks to have been somewhat influenced by Picasso. Nice catch of the ‘street’ art—sometimes we go right by the obvious because it doesn’t fit our mental picture of what will be a good subject.
    6. Trond—“Shore”—as I’ve said before, I’m a sucker for tone. An image with good tonal range is like a great song or bottle of wine, and “Shore” is just really pleasing to my eye. I also like the visual play of what look like two specific harmonic sets/tracks of wave that lead from the bottom to the marsh outlet. Maybe no one sees it but me (I have a cataract, and really good medicine), but I enjoy the visual play. Thank you for a memorable image.
    7. Ivan S.—“Weathered Pillars”—I really like the subject, and the foreground appears to me to be snow. I would like it better if the snow was lighter/brighter to contrast against the pilings. I guess I would like more contrast, but maybe you had a low contrast subject even with the snow.
    8. Peter S. – “Backlot” – this image reminds me of innumerable self portraits of the same style my favorite worst was a detailed self-portrait of my reflection in a window I was shooting through. So is that you or a truly unknown?
    9. Anikin – “Airport Security – I didn’t know what to think, figuring it was 3 Amigos in costume. Then I got out my magnifying glass and read “Inchon” on the sign above. I will not be going to Korea … Nice “street capture”.
    10. Rachelle – “The Beach” waterfall – very nice. Light and airy with the mist, yet the image looks 3-dimensional. There is a little S-shape in the lower left that hints at another little fall …
    11. Kraker – “Hillside” – CYANOTYPE!! Marvelous! I would have liked it more without the little copse of trees on the left, but what a first attempt! Thank you.
    12. Hayley – “Dog” – great first print. It caused me to go back and look at my first three rolls. The first two were chemical disasters, but the third, I’m thinking ‘not bad for first attempt’ (I was about 21, so looong ago.). You had a bright background to throw the meter off, but kept great detail in the dog’s face, even in shadow. Not easy.
    I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. ("Oohlala, by the Small Faces").

I plan to make up for it by the time I''m 84 ...

Bob Slaughter (megzdad81)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ouch, Bob - hope you're feeling better soon!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megzdad81 View Post
    2. Steve Frizza—Mr. Jiggs—thank you for the picture of my son with his first camera … Honestly, we loved it here, but were confused as to where it came from, or if you actually shot the picture since you mention Tri-X—seeing as how the postcard came from Australia, and Wikipedia says Mr. Jiggs died 10 years before the first Polaroid Land Camera. Just asking …

There have been multiple Mr Jiggs in America this is the Mr Jiggs of tv show and party hire fame in the 1970's. The image is from an American archive I have been printing. I really liked the shot so shared it all with you. Here is a super 8 link to Mr Jiggs at a party http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNinJuKDl2M

glad you liked it.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Further card comments from the ones that have been piling up in my 'mail to be processed' pile.

Box Brownie
    - Merry Go Round. Poingnant capture of a simpler time of our past amusements. Nice and sharp, good dof, and local contrast. The framing at the top of the image being partially cut off it a tad distracting.

DRP Sliver - Reflection. The delightful distortions of the glass like fore shore thry the reeds is almost like a fine art pencll sketch. Very well executed.

NDRS
    Top Hat - A nice RA-4 print that uses the yellowed highlights of this out dated paper to advantage, pairing well with with the strong greeen grass that predominates the scene. The skillful placement of the top hat in the frame makes it anything but banal, and the story of the hat makes the image stronger.

labcoat
    - Baltimore Fountain. A delightful street scene of a hot days case of urban frivolity indulged while cooling off. The lady holding up her dress as she wades captures the feeling best for me.

Oxley Road - Steam. A great capture of a scene of industrial elements of the past. I too get out every few years to see a big steam engine on its annual historic run, down at the Hamilton water works.

OzPhoto- Stonehenge - Wow. What a great panoramic RA-4 print - really makes you feel you are in a special place. No sign of the hand of modern man anywhere in the image other than the shorn grass. Fantastic clouds, and the bird perched on one of the edges of one stone makes it all that beter.

My card printing effort for R29 is stalled at the moment. The envelopes are all addresses, and the stamps bought, but no printing so far.

I have taken the past few months (when my time has not otheriwse been spoken for by others) up entirely with building shed in my back yard. We have a single car garage that my wife parks her car in regualrly. It is otherwise stuffed with garden implements, snow shovel and sleds, christmas and halloween decorations, home maintenance building supplies and tools, etc, as well as camping supplies and a canoe all tucked into the rafters and in shelves beside and in front of where the car parks.

I have grown tired of being the contortionist to get stuff at ground level out whlie the car is in there, and am loath to move the car out, then in again for easy access to things like rakes and hoes.

So now I am almost finished a 100 square foot with 8' ceiling shed. It has fully insulated walls, floor and ceiling and is now weather tight. I am presently digging power supply and communcation conduits the 80' to reach to the house, with an eye to making a bit of a studio of it to get out of the house to contemplate, and also to set the stage towards deploying a hot tub spa next to it in a few years. The ground is very dry presently, so the digging is comaratively easy, though in truth digging consolidated clay is not easy digging. About 40' left to ga, and I seem to get about 8' per night while taking care to not sever all tree roots I come across for a large tree that shades the house.

I will get the due round 29 cards out, but as you see 'life' is in the way at the moment. I have done all rounds from 14-28 well. I am not signing on to round 30 unless all is in order before the sign on cut off date.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by megzdad81 View Post
    4. Ed Bray—“GWR Pannier Tank 6430”—wonderful that the engine and coach have been preserved. It looks like there is exhaust coming from the stack—is this regularly operating engine? Thank you for the backstory to the image subject . Is it the full frame for the 5x7 negative?
    The engine runs daily from April through to October, and at most weekends between November and March.

Almost the full frame I had to crop a little off the bottom to fit the postcard format so it is a reduction rather than an enlargement, I had to use a 240mm lens on the enlarger to go so small.

I have had some other cards delivered, but been a bit busy with other things so will catch up in a few days or so.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin