Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,672   Online: 1193

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Apparently you can buy postcard backing paper that you stick on the back of the 4x6 print. This gives you the same backing as on Ilford postcard paper and is probably easier to write on. It can of course be added to any paper of your choosing. It adds stiffness to it so is probably the equivalent in stiffness and weight to Ilford postcard which is Portfolio paper.

I don't know about prices in the U.S. but in the U.K. I can say that nowadays Ilford Postcard paper is a total rip-off( is this a U.S. term? If not I mean by "rip-off" an extortionate price) in terms of price.

About $70 per 100 sheet box. All Ilford paper has risen a lot in price in recent years but in about 2005-7 this paper was being sold at about $24 per 100 sheet box.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Apparently you can buy postcard backing paper that you stick on the back of the 4x6 print. This gives you the same backing as on Ilford postcard paper and is probably easier to write on. It can of course be added to any paper of your choosing. It adds stiffness to it so is probably the equivalent in stiffness and weight to Ilford postcard which is Portfolio paper.

pentaxuser
    Link?

This would be a perfect solution, Pentax! I am thinking of using Slavich Unibrom 160 but it tends to curl so much, flattening would be a problem. A stiffer backing would solve that and I don't want to have to get out the glue stick.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    It's up to you. Ilford's postcard paper is the most common choice. I made cyanos once, on Stonehenge. It was alot of work, but was appreciated. FB papers show up, sometimes 30 year out-of-date ones. If they are double weight, they stand up to the mail just fine. Single wt might get creased. Some folks put their postcards in envelopes. Photomat colour prints, with a stick-on label have made their appearance too. If the post office will accept it, so will APUG.

In Canada it costs the same for a letter as a postcard, and that is going up by 1/3rd this spring - which is going to price me out, I think.

I don't think the rates go up until the end of March - maybe one more round?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check with your national postal service. In Canada I can print as large as 9.2 x 4.7 inches for a postcard that can be mailed to the US or internationally with a normal letter stamp. I can actually print even larger for cards that are only being mailed domestically.

For my last exchange I printed two cards on one 8x10 sheet of Ilford Art 300 which I selenium toned. Each 5x8 print was slightly trimmed to meet the standard. I used inkjet printer labels on the back of most of them although some of them I just wrote on and put in the mail. That's probably what I would do again in the future (no labels).

I am going to do a cyanotype for the upcoming round. My local art supply store had some pads of 4x6 blank postcards on watercolor paper, made by Fabriano.

I got a huge variety of cards in return. People have all kinds of ways of doing it and they all seem to make it through the mail quite nicely. It's a fantastic opportunity to see a lot of different printing styles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A tip - the adhesive labels that will run through a computer printer will, when applied to the back of a print, add both strength and durability, while offering readability for both the postal service and the recipient.

I just finished a 500 sheet box of Kodak Polycontrast III postcard RC paper that Dennis (dances with clouds here on APUG) gave me.

So for the next round, I'll be cutting 8x10 sheets of Ilford MGIV RC glossy paper into three 4x6 sheets.

In Canada, we don't get a postage break on postcards, but we can send a much larger card at the letter rate (domestic 63 cents now but going up to 85 cents at the end of March, when stamps are bought in packs).

In the US, however, there is a really cheap domestic (32 cents) rate for 4x6 cards, and the $1.10 rate for international 4x6 cards is much cheaper than Canada Post's rate. As I can just about see the US from my kitchen window (there are a few trees in the way) and as I'm about 15-25 minutes drive away from a small border crossing, I print my cards to the 4x6 US standard and use the US postal service for US and international cards.

I will be interested to see what the costs for sending mail to the US and internationally will change to after March. I would suggest though that if the costs concern you (as they do me) then you can always limit the number of cards you sign up for. I find 24 to be a good number for me.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For US domestic mail postcards must be at least 3.5" x 5" and not bigger than 4.25" x 6". So the 3.5" x 5.5" postcard paper is good to use.

http://postcalc.usps.com/PopUps/FCMPostcard.htm
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go to a print shop and job out 1000 copies to the proprietor so he can continue paying his mortgage and insurance and taxes. That way you can have the matter professionally done, and you can throw the other 999 in the trash. Lick your stamp and stick it on the remaining copy and you're done. All this computer home-made junk just makes computer slaves out of you, and junk-mail for your recipient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Go to a print shop and job out 1000 copies to the proprietor so he can continue paying his mortgage and insurance and taxes. That way you can have the matter professionally done, and you can throw the other 999 in the trash. Lick your stamp and stick it on the remaining copy and you're done. All this computer home-made junk just makes computer slaves out of you, and junk-mail for your recipient.
    You realize Tom that each postcard is (in most cases) an individually printed darkroom print?

The postcard exchange is an APUG exchange, intended to allow us to share our photography with other APUG members. My 24 cards will each be exposed individually in my enlarger, developed in (mostly Kodak) chemistry, washed, toned, dried, labeled and mailed by myself.

Most others do something similar.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You realize Tom that each postcard is (in most cases) an individually printed darkroom print?

The postcard exchange is an APUG exchange, intended to allow us to share our photography with other APUG members. My 24 cards will each be exposed individually in my enlarger, developed in (mostly Kodak) chemistry, washed, toned, dried, labeled and mailed by myself.

Most others do something similar.
    Can't blame a guy for defending his livelihood, even if it is making wagon wheels and buggy whips now, can you?

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=VaryaV;1591270]Link?

This would be a perfect solution, Pentax!

Unfortunately I haven't got a link for you which is a pity for me as well. I don't intend to be part of the exchange but at the price of postcard paper I would want to try using ordinary 4x6 paper whenever I want to send any postcard prints out to friends etc.

Try a search here on APUG. It has certainly been mentioned in threads/posts. I have a feeling that Dave Miller's posts( he used to post here) contain a reference to the pre-printed backing paper. However Dave is U.K. based so it may be that his source is/was also in the U.K. although I have to say that most innovative analogue stuff these days seems to be U.S. based rather than U.K. However companies in the U.K. are best at being "innovative" in one respect, namely with hiking prices.

It is of course possible to buy plain A4 sheets with sticky backs and use a computer printer to print the postcard back. You then simply cut the sheet to size with a print trimmer and stick it on.

Anyone else who has been a round for maybe 4-5 years recall the source of this backing paper?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin