Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,717   Online: 746

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    Just got my copy of rince's, too. Really love the toning. Which Tetenal toner is it, if you don't mind me asking?
    It is called Tetenal Sepia Toner. It is an indirect toner (bleach+redevelop) the package is for 2.5l of mixed solution.
    I am pretty amazed, I toned two fibre prints and they came out amazing. It might not be the cheapest toner, but for a rookie like me it worked perfectly.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rince View Post
    It is called Tetenal Sepia Toner. It is an indirect toner (bleach+redevelop) the package is for 2.5l of mixed solution.
    I am pretty amazed, I toned two fibre prints and they came out amazing. It might not be the cheapest toner, but for a rookie like me it worked perfectly.

I would call it far from a rookie print! The Dmax you pulled out of RC is what I've been striving for. Unfortunately, all but one of my prints in this exchange was done on ancient, likely partly heat-fogged MGIV paper that needed to be used up (edge fogging, so they worked as postcards).

I have started working with glossy for the deeper blacks, but the warmth and depth you got in that print is fantastic, and something I've been striving for.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine went in the post today. First time for me and can't remember a time when I printed 10 on the trot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

One other question on toning (if you don't mind)

Can't seem to find the info on the Tetenal toners, is the one you used a traditional Sepia toner (sodium sulphide)?

I've been thinking about picking up one of the Legacy Pro Kodak style toner kits, as they're incredibly cheap and simple in comparison to the variable sulfide/polysulfide sepia toners... I've seen results all over the place for the Kodak ones (everything from yucky to subtle and beautiful). I'm assuming since the shadows still have awesome depth you only partially bleached it out, instead of fully?

The look you got with it is much better than anything I've been able to come up with on Kentmere with Selenium.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    One other question on toning (if you don't mind)

Can't seem to find the info on the Tetenal toners, is the one you used a traditional Sepia toner (sodium sulphide)?

I've been thinking about picking up one of the Legacy Pro Kodak style toner kits, as they're incredibly cheap and simple in comparison to the variable sulfide/polysulfide sepia toners... I've seen results all over the place for the Kodak ones (everything from yucky to subtle and beautiful). I'm assuming since the shadows still have awesome depth you only partially bleached it out, instead of fully?

The look you got with it is much better than anything I've been able to come up with on Kentmere with Selenium.
    t is a little hidden on the Tetenal homepage, but if you open this PDF http://www.tetenal.com/opener1.htm?f...s/00000734.pdf it will be under toners and is called sulfite toner. It is for sure not one of the new odorless toners ....
    Actually all cards were bleached completely (were in the bleach for about 3 minutes until I could see no more reduction in tone for 1 minute). All cards were printed with higher contrast than I would usually do, to makeup for a loss of contrast. Other than that, I just followed the instructions of the toning kit. I feel that the paper is really having a large impact on how the toned prints turned out.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    t is a little hidden on the Tetenal homepage, but if you open this PDF http://www.tetenal.com/opener1.htm?f...s/00000734.pdf it will be under toners and is called sulfite toner. It is for sure not one of the new odorless toners ....
    Actually all cards were bleached completely (were in the bleach for about 3 minutes until I could see no more reduction in tone for 1 minute). All cards were printed with higher contrast than I would usually do, to makeup for a loss of contrast. Other than that, I just followed the instructions of the toning kit. I feel that the paper is really having a large impact on how the toned prints turned out.
    Thanks for the info. Definitely going to try it out. the PCX seems like a good way to experiment with that, too-- working with 4x6's instead of 8x10's.

Thanks for the link on the Tetenal-- It's prohibitively expensive over here ($47 for the 500ml kit, plus shipping). It looks similar to the formulation of most of the 'classic' sepias, though... I don't use much MGIV or Ilford in general these days for paper, but from what I can tell Sepia on a neutral to cooler toned paper should give the look I was trying to get out of the Seagull Warmtone. Most Sepia prints I've seen over here look way overdone, and as more of an effect than an enhancement. Good to know it's not just the Polysulfide/Thioreau type baths that'll give the more subtle pleasing result.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've received a few cards so far, all really really nice!

Still haven't decided what I want to use for my card yet, have a couple rolls of film from Christmas vacation that I still need to develop. It's looking like I don't have to get up early tomorrow, first time in almost a month. I must be getting older, because the first thing that comes to mind isn't "Time to go into town and hang out at the bar", it's "Finally I can spend a long night back in the darkroom!"

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the spirit....maybe you could do a bit of homebrewing while waiting for your prints to wash?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Despite having printed them BEFORE the start of the exchange I only just got mine into the mail today.

I have received two so far up here in the Great White North. Will post some comments once I get a bigger pile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    24 Feb 2014

Two items: (1) my postcards will be delivered to the Post Office tomorrow, (2) following are comments for cards I have received to-date.

I agree with previous comments on the card from rince. Good composition, wonderfully sharp, and tone. I like that the sepia toning is more brown than red. Very nicely done.
    The card from jimbop is also very nice. It is wonderfully sharp with good composition. I like how the lions are looking is different directions. Makes me wonder what they are thinking.
    The card from astroclimb is very interesting. I have read about Santurie de Chimayo, and it is always referred to as a "sacred site". Thanks for a very interesting image.
    There was an entire generation that thought a trailer in the dessert was "California Dreamin'". Thanks to Peter Schrager I get to experience that feeling again.
    I like the perspective of the photo from fretlessdavis. Looking at things in new and different ways is always good.

Look forward to more cards in the mailbox.

Regards,
    Darwin

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin