Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,565   Online: 934

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    14 April 2104

Lot of good cards have landed in my mailbox. Thanks to all for sharing you work with me.

Here are some comments on the cards I have received in no particular order.
    The card from Mark_S is a somewhat familiar place, and a great place to photograph. You definitely captured the spirit of the Mission.
    The card from VaryaV caught me by surprise. How could this be a photo of a person working? I quickly realized that this is a good photo of a miniature. Reminds me of an episode of Outer Limits (with Rod Sterling). Well done. I like the matt finish; it works well with this image.
    Thank you to mjs for documenting some of the Native American culture.
    The card from megzdad81 also caught me "off guard". This image works well in several orientations, but finally "clicked" when I viewed it in the orientation in which it was photographed. I have found Point Lobos is a hard place to photograph. I find it hard to isolate the main subject you are photographing effectively. Mono Lake is a really cool place to photograph with lots of different subject to choose from. Did you visit Bodie when you were visiting the Eastern Sierra?
    Nice close-up of an enormous screw from MattKing. I like how you captured the finish on each of the blades. Well done.
    Cool scan of a tintype from Pilami. Seeing this give me a much better appreciation for fas modern dry emulsions. Good luck with your efforts.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, Darwin--I was ill-prepared for the trip and found Bodie in one of those "I wonder what's over that hill?" moments. I went out with specifics in mind--Point Lobos, Yosemite, ...Death Valley. I think it was a two week trip.

My poor performance with both 35mm and 4x5 on that trip are the reason for my signature quote. Where the heck was APUG when I needed them back in '95?
    I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. ("Oohlala, by the Small Faces").

I plan to make up for it by the time I''m 84 ...

Bob Slaughter (megzdad81)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finally got my prints done. My first darkroom session this year. Sometimes work just takes over and there doesn't seem time for much else. Hopefully back on track. Sorry for the delay folks. Postcards on the way!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The flow of postcards has ground to a stop so it seems like a good time to recap what I've received:

(In no particular order)

Katrin: 'Pachliopta'. Gorgeous! I'll bet the original tintype is something to see! We've been seeing a lot of wet plate work here in the Midwest USA over the past few years and the biggest downside I can see is that none of the photographers want to give them up! Thanks for sharing!

Matt King: 'Turn of the Screw' I would never have guessed the object without reading your explanation. Such lovely tones! I can almost feel the steel.

bmccarthy007: Concrete Building Plant. Abandoned factories are bleak enough without the snow: those white drifts almost make one give up hope! Looks almost post-apocalyptic.

Bob Slaughter: 'Who Cleaned the Beach for Ansel?' I have it on good authority that St. Ansel had no need of beach cleaners -- when he showed up the beach cleaned itself! The waves may not have cooperated but the light sure did! You got a lovely shot despite your disappointment.

Peter Schrager: California Dreaming. Those old travel trailers had a lot of character, didn't they? After one of our winters here in Indiana, I think that we all dream of packing up and driving until we find palm trees and sand to wiggle our toes in.

Anthony Miller: Cawthorn. I love photographs containing mirror images and this one's asymmetry is more interesting and attractive than most. I love the tones, too!

drpsilver: 'Teasel'. Plants are always interesting: their variety seems to be almost infinite. The dark unfocused background really makes the details pop out!

Ataim: Rocky Mountain National Park. Kind of makes one want to build a snug little cabin just off to the left, doesn't it? Tremendous detail in your picture keeps drawing the eye deeper and deeper!

Adelorenzo: SS Klondike. Lovely cyanotype of the old steamer. I really like how the paddle wheel at the stern dominates the picture and its complexity dramatically offsets the smooth, clean lines of the hull.

Mark Sauerwald: Mission San Juan Bautisita. Crisp tones accent and accentuate the clean lines of the arch and the repeating patterns of the columns and floor tiles receding into the distance draw my eye from the bell to the figure at the far end. Satisfying on a number of levels!

VaryaV: "Bulding an interocitor". "This Island Earth" is one of my favorite movies and your clever still life brings it to life brilliantly! Well-seen and executed!

Vyshemirsky: A pensive looking lass on an atmospheric street. Did you use flash to light her? The out of focus colors on the right are an interesting and effective complement to her white coat and red scarf.

jimo: Peace Fountain. A very dramatic angel from a day when details mattered! The complexity of the angel statue, of th e trees between the statue and the cathedral and then of the cathedral itself are very complementary. I have to say, though, that the salmon color doesn't seem to add anything to the picture.

KC2EDH: 'Cascade, 4098'. The Rolleiflex is so small and lightweight that I imagine it to be a good camera for climbing. At least, I hope so! The shapes, textures and tones of this monumental pile show clearly and I'm glad that you took a camera with you!

Adam Roe: SEZ Sports Complex. A good subject for the resolution, tonality and detail which can be provided by a 4x5 negative. Quite an impressive tour of structure and extreme design. My imagination has kicked it's tendency to invent stories into high gear with this one!

rince: Old Shack in Mecklenburg. This rustic building has a lot of charm, I'll say that for it! From its interesting method of construction to the surroundings, there's so much to see here. Lovely tones and color!

piu58: Leipzig Trade Fair. I like the architecture too, Uwe: I think there's more here than a personal connection. The lines are so clean - "clinical" is I think the appropriate word. The beer bottle and bicycle are details which help to make this more than architecture.

anikin: 'The Greatest Happiness'. If this is Everglades photography, I'm staying in Indiana! He doesn't look very hungry, though!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just when I thought I'd received them all a beauty of a print turned up this morning.
    'A Peaceful Place' from Bruce McCaughey (steelbar) - one of my favourites, it really 'sings'.
    Thanks Bruce.
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Links in my sig below.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Postcard #31 - tardy

Hey folks, we're very slow this round - but we intend to get our postcards sent asap and then sign-in for the next round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello all,

I received some cards a few weeks ago, not sure if I commented on them or not. The latest was from BoxBrownie and shows some pelicans at Port Macquarie. Thanks, this is a very nice print (the "laughing" pelican on the right is wonderful !)

my cards were finally dropped in the mail last Friday, hope they reach you soon.

I hand wrote them so I did not include technical details, here they are:
    • Shot with my EOS-3 and EF 85/1.8 (boy do I love this lens !!!)
    • On HP5 @ 400, souped in XTol 1+1
    • Printed on VERY expired Ilfomar paper

Hope you enjoy them!

P.S. no animal was harmed for the making of this postcard
    Last edited by Laurent; 05-21-2014 at 02:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Laurent! Thanks yes I did-lovely atmosphere.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got your postcard yesterday, Laurent. Thank you! a very nice photograph.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin