Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,126   Online: 851

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the UK postcards are officially between 90mm x 140mm and 120mm x 235mm. However... as they long ago abolished the special postal rate for postcards and they now go at the same price as normal letters, I assume we can send them up to letter size which is 900mm maximum length+width+depth. So theoretically, could send a 16"x19" postcard...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    I So theoretically, could send a 16"x19" postcard...
    ...which my mail carrier will smoosh into my 4x6" mailbox.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    would dry mounting the print to oaktag, (or something of similar weight that is acid-free) work for post card creation?
    How many cards do you have to send?
    When is the next round?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    would dry mounting the print to oaktag, (or something of similar weight that is acid-free) work for post card creation?
    How many cards do you have to send?
    When is the next round?
    I have received quite a few postcards that have been mounted on one substance or another. I'm sure this is acceptable. Just check www.usps.gov to see if there are other requirements (like the line down the back between the address area & the note area).

I'm sure that Nigel will respond about the quantity... I've found it's generally between 18 and 25 postcards.

Right now is the next round! Check the very top of this post to see Nigel's schedule. You are just in time to get in on this round!
    I, for one, hope you do!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In retrospect, I think you guys are right on about the postage. The size requirement for postcards is most likely just for the lower postal rate. I seem to remember sending a panoramic postcard about 10 years ago that required the standard stamp rate, which was much less then than it is now...

Also, thanks for the tip about RC holding up better. It is much more rigid and seems like it would last well. I have a small part of a 25 pack of Ilford Satin finish that I may try to use to avoid the more obvious handling damage that glossy finish apparently suffers.

Does anyone mount flush to the edges on cardstock and stamp the backs of their cards? I was considering mounting the prints to archival cardstock to stiffen them up a bit and to allow me to make a postcard-type design for the back.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are some like that. To make it look like a postcard, you don't need much more than a ruled line between the text and the address area.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was thinking more along the lines of postcards from the past. I have this past thing that keeps intruding on all my ideas. Part of my psychosis according to my wife....

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy,

I'm glad you are participating in the postcard exchange. I saw your images in your personal gallery and you have some great photos. Please, please, pick either the lighthouse stairway or the parrot feather #2 image for the exchange. [ Just in case you can't decide which image to pick.] I'm sure whatever you pick will be equally fine. I really love spiral designs in photos.

BWKate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    one of the great and underutilized tools for the postcards are the rare 5x7 easels that I have picked up on ebay. The kind with the small adjustable arms. I have in the past 3 years won 4 of those things. I plan on using them for christmas presents to my photog friends, along with one of my precious boxes of postcard stock. What drives me crazy was not having one accessible when I was moving. So those who have gotten my last two cards know how ascew my printing was.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds like a lot of fun, must be exciting to receive all those postcards. While I'm not in this round, I do have a question. Does each one send out 20 or whatever prints of the same photo, or are they different pictures?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin