Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,708   Online: 931

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    My approach is that the whole idea is to exchange postcards with everyone else. I do not see anything under 50 as being difficult to manage; at least, not for people using RC silver paper - anyone using fibre or Alt Proc would obviously spend a much longer time in the darkroom.

Cost to me is about 3 hours in the darkroom (I don't see that as an negative BTW!) and about 30 quid once every 3 months on paper, chemicals and postage. I consider both to be time and money well spent.

Some 46 people were happy to proceed on that basis in the last round. See what happens in the next round - I suspect we will get a similar number as some drop out and others drop in.

Cheers, Bob.
    Though Round 7 will be my first time participating, I agree with Bob's assessment. I have no problem with up to 50 participants a round. Even if it took two or three printing sessions, the time and expense seem a very small price to pay for having 50 original works of art show up at my doorstep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'm with Bob, too, that it should just be the "Postcard Exchange" and not do the group thing. It's like Nicole & pandino said... it's worth the effort!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was in round 6... making the prints was fine. I would keep it open right now. It's still a manageable number. If it gets too large then I would just take the first 40 people to sign up. Then cut it off.

Rob Skeoch
    BigCameraWorkshops.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just come to this after taking more of an active interest in APUG recently. I might like to participate in the next post card exchange, is there a thread or post that I should read to learn more about how it works?

I guess your using the ILFORD post card paper. Hopefully I can get hold of some from Silverprint with my next order.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After just joining APUG this year I have watched the postcard extange and would love to be a part of the next one. I think that it is one of the special things that makes APUG what it is. I think the more the better but I understand that it takes a lot of work. I hope the however the decision is made that noone is left out. -Thanks-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    I've just come to this after taking more of an active interest in APUG recently. I might like to participate in the next post card exchange, is there a thread or post that I should read to learn more about how it works?

I guess your using the ILFORD post card paper. Hopefully I can get hold of some from Silverprint with my next order.
    Many of us (perhaps most) use the Ilford paper, but there are those who use 5X7, color paper, or even alt processes for their postcards. The Ilford paper does seem to be the simplest for a lot of us (myself included).

The way it has worked in the past is that everyone gets a list of everyone in the exchange and sends out postcards to everyone! It is great to get tons of wonderful images in your mailbox and the cost and time are relatively minor in exchange for what you get.

In response to the original post, I would prefer to send to the whole group at this time. If it gets truly huge (75 or more) I might no longer feel that way, but 50 is quite managable for me. I did some thinking on the math and it seems that either you should go with one group again or split the groups with no one allowed to be in both. If you have folks in both groups then the groups will quickly get too big and the point of splitting them will be lost. Again, my vote is for one big exchange as we have done in the past.
    Last edited by Paul Sorensen; 04-16-2006 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35 cards wasn't a problem, in fact it gave me much needed practice with my printing. As Bob says it's one night or so in the darkroom so I vote for one group for now. I'm definitely in for the next round.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Couple things now that I have read all this again.

1. We still are in the midst of the current exchange and about 2/3 of the folks have sent there postcards. So we're still awaiting some more. So, this means that as the numbers grow, the waiting grows too as particpants finish their card making and posting.

2. I'm not sure I like the idea of 'cutting off' the sign up to a limited number of people. I'd rather have two or three groups than limit the number of people.

So all that being said, maybe this question is premature. Let's wait until this round is 'substantially complete' - that is when say 90% of the particpants have sent their postcards.

Then, let's sign up people and see how many we. Seems like if we have 50 sign ups, people are willing to send postcards to everyone. If we get more, then let's ask this question amongst the particpants to see if we need to split into two groups.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have I got it right? For example, I would produce 50 prints of the same photograph and send each one out to the 50 people on the list, and then I would receive a print from each of the other 49 people on the list?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    Have I got it right? For example, I would produce 50 prints of the same photograph and send each one out to the 50 people on the list, and then I would receive a print from each of the other 49 people on the list?

Tom.
    YES

Before the next round would start, there is a month when those wishing to join in the next round are asked to either join, or reconfirm being on the list. It is a blast. I absolutely love this exchange.

My next one I'm planning on color. I know I have to have a lab print them for me since I haven't figure out my jobo yet.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin