Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,380   Online: 1009

View Poll Results: Which option do you prefer?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • End the Postcard Exchange

2 3.57%
  • Continue as is

21 37.50%
  • Smaller discrete Groups

6 10.71%
  • Nige's fangdangled matching theory

27 48.21%
Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Postcard Exchange : Round 8 Sign Up

The schedule was

Round 8
    August : Sign on
    September : Print and Post
    October : R&R

But... we had many cards un-delivered (still got a few to creep in) and I decided to leave it another month before starting Rnd 8. That month and a bit more has passed with a few enquiries about Rnd 8 coming in, so it's time to do something!

In a previous discussion, we contemplated limiting the number of cards that needed to be sent in some way. A common response was 'I'd like to be in all groups' which won't actually work with the number of participants we have as I think a good proportion will want to do that. I figure we can go 4 ways...

1. Stop the Postcard Exchange
    2. Stick with "In for one, in for All" (Current)
    3. Break into 'managable' sized groups (no jumping in multiple groups... too hard to manage)
    4. Trial my Postcard Matching program I wrote.

The 'Postcard Matching' program will allow people to nominate how many cards they'd like to send, and it creates matches up to those maximums. People who opt in for the maximum get allocated as many times as possible, but most likely won't be the maximum. It works like this...

a) When you sign up you nominate how many cards you wish to send. A special category of 'The Max' is for those who don't really want/have a limit.

b) I run my wizz-bang program and I email you the list of people you are matched with. Those people will have you in their list, so you are doing are 'exchange', not just sending them one.

c) you send each person on your list a card.

An example will probably explain it better...

Participants List
    Name (Maximum Cards where M means 'The Max')
    Agnes (2)
    Art (M)
    Dave (4)
    David (M)
    Gary (M)
    Nigel (3)
    Peter (M)

Matches
    Participant Buddy
    Agnes Gary
    Agnes Peter
    Art David
    Art Gary
    Art Nigel
    Art Peter
    Dave David
    Dave Peter
    David Art
    David Dave
    David Gary
    David Nigel
    David Peter
    Gary Agnes
    Gary Art
    Gary David
    Gary Peter
    Nigel Art
    Nigel David
    Nigel Peter
    Peter Agnes
    Peter Art
    Peter Dave
    Peter David
    Peter Gary
    Peter Nigel

So, in this scenario, those that nominated a maximum number get that, and the others get a variable amount of matches to fill out all the posibilities... eg. Art gets 4 matches out of a possible 6, David (5/7) and Peter (6/7)

So, since we're a week behind our month behind schedule, I'm going to ask for your opinions for a week... then the method choosen will be declared and you'll get the chance to 'sign up' over the remaining two weeks of this month.

Let the discussions begin!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might want to start a poll to make counting easier (ask Marco if you don't know how ! )...

I have a preference for (2) = current method, but would not be too distraught if (4) won the vote.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    poll added...

please only vote if your already a participant or are extremely likely to join in...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've already printed 50 postcards in anticipation of the next round. These were done a month ago, I've already got a neg ready for the next round past that.

The way we are going we'll be able to get the Christmas cheap rate, from Australia Post.

I'm with Bob, I prefer the current situation, but would live with your number four scenario.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy game theory algorithims batman! I'll go with 2, but I think 4 is sexier!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    I definitely opt for Niges little programme. This will allow for more people to participate into the postcard exchange, even if they are not able to spend the money to send e.g. 100 postcards.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm willing to try Nige's new fangled program so that means I'm for number 4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keeping it the way it is works with me. Makes it easier for Nige.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

#4 is the most flexible

I am not signed up for the exchange but would gladly participate if I could choose how many cards I want to send/receive. The reason I did not sign up earlier was that 50 cards represents a significant investment of not only time but also money. So I voted for the fourth option.

-A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would really love to join the postcard exchange, but as I've not done this before I'm not sure how many postcards I'll be able to produce. With this in mind option 4 looks good to me. Would you be to change your number in the next round. That is reduce the number of postcards if it was too much or up the number if everything went well?

Brian

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin