Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,024   Online: 814

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I feel that Bob is correct here, and that perhaps I should clarify my views a bit, if I can. I think that it is important to remember that there is a certain commitment when you join an exchange to complete your part of the bargain, and sometimes people will get upset if you don't. My default position is to give people a break, but since people do contact me about people who did not send cards, I have to attempt to find a middle ground. My main goal here is to try to make sure that everyone feels welcome to participate in the Postcard Exchange, doesn't feel heavily pressured if they are running behind. I would ask two things: one, that if you are going to be late that you please let us know so that everyone understands the situation - most people are quite understanding as long as they are not left in the dark - and two, that you sign up for an amount that you think you can do without undue stress, so that you can enjoy the exchange and still be able to send your cards so that others may enjoy the exchange too.

I know I've missed the deadline a few times <cough> for other exchanges, both on and off APUG, at one time or another, so I understand what it's like to be in that spot. That's why I put in the initial post about not being able to participate again until you have mailed your cards. If you can get caught up, please do, but I will not pester you via email or PM about it - I will simply not include you in the next round until you get caught up.

I hope that by both allowing people to print fewer cards and limiting the exchange to people that have completed the previous round that we will get to a point where only the cards on 'postal vacations' will be unseen. Lastly, I would also encourage anyone who does not get a card from someone in particular to contact them about it, as cards *do* get lost in the mail from time to time - they can get torn or jammed in machinery and, while the postal services of the world try to do a good job, they do have the occasional problem with small, thin pieces of mail like a postcard.

Thanks for all who have joined, and to those who have sent cards in the past. And, please, feel free to contact me to voice your opinion, good or bad on anything I've posted here (especialy the bad, because there is often a lot to be learned from criticism...)

- Randy
    Last edited by reellis67; 12-06-2006 at 01:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I'm in for the Minimum amount. I can bang off a dozen or so of the same image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am often a day or three late myself on these sort of things, so I know how things can slip by one. None the less, that is an excuse that only works for a limited time and it is clearly not acceptable for people to let it drag on indefinitely.

I think the idea of not allowing anyone to participate until they have caught up is an entirely sound one and should reduce the problem of non-delivery in short order (Famous Last Words, Vol. 6)...

Cheers, Bob.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me in for 30-the darkroom will be finished soon........famouser last words LMSO
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me in for 30. Round 8 was my first & I really enjoyed it. At last count, I think I had rec'd 22 or 23 vs. the 30 I sent out. I hope to post mine to the gallery soon (just need to borrow a little scanner time at work!).

It's a little disappointing to not get a full reply set, but stuff happens & I understand how the day job & everything else life throws at us gets in the way. While it's said the road to hell is paved with good intentions (& I've laid my share of asphalt down!) I'm not ready to condemn anyone for not meeting their obligation. As others have said, I think it's fair to ask folks to catch up before committing to do it again. One of the benefits of the matching method Nige introduced in the last round is that people can commit to a small number of cards and not put off printing & sending them out because it seems too daunting of a task to do 30 or more.

It's been a wonderful experience for me & my family to see the beautiful & interesting cards come in from all over the world. Thanks again to Nige and to Randy for organizing.

Brian

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    And anyway the 22 out of 30 were worth the 30 I sent.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I joined in Round #5. Received all for that Round except 2. (The total for that Round was I think in the twenties)
    Round #6- Received all except 1! Total number was something like 37 , we sent an extra one to Simon from Ilford if we wanted to.
    Round #7- Sent out 45 and received 35. That was perhaps my most disappointing round. Still fun though but the cost was starting to get a bit high.
    Sat out Round #8 because I was moving.
    Back again for Round #9!
    Here's hoping everyone who signs up sends their cards! I owe some prints to a couple people that I intend to honour so I better get right on it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would like to sign up for this round. This is my first exchange and I'm only going to print about 15 cards, I want to see how it goes before I make a commitment to more cards. I'm on a very tight budget and only want to pay for postage to US folks only. Hope that is ok with everybody.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually the rounds include people from all over the world.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1
    ... and only want to pay for postage to US folks only. Hope that is ok with everybody.
    Chuck,

if you are on a tight budget, why don't you assign for say 10 cards around the world, instead of sending 15 cards to the US only.

If we all start with "but I want to send cards only to people in Europe" or only in the US or only in the US but not in ... say ... Florida etc. - who is going to organize the next round since we will drive Randy mad in deciding on the groups for this round

Hey, looking at the stamps I must say, it is cheap to send a card from the US to Germany compared to the price you have to pay the other way round. But that probably does not help you.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin