Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,132   Online: 875

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    ... Anyway, I will post my 10 cards after work. So, Birger, Henning, Brian, Mark, Greg, James, another Mark, Mick, Randall and Bastiaan can expect a postcard from me soon (or depending on the distance and the postal services: not so soon).
    Hey, you are on my list, why am I not on your list?

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Randy,

Those of us that are making 30 postcards, am I to assume that we will not get 30 postcards in return? For instance Kraker is on my list, but I am not on his. Reudiger appears to be in the same situation.

If this is the case, next time, I think the expectations would have to be clearly spelled out. As this is certainly not what I signed up for. I expect to get as many postcards as I send out.

Any idea that I (and others) can know how many postcards to expect? It would appear that folks who opted for a smaller number to send out, will hit the bonanza, as they will get more cards than they send out.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-09-2007 at 07:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Because not everyone printed the full number of cards, I had to pick people to recieve cards from the people that printed less than the full amount. I made up a list and tried to make sure that if you were on the list of one of the people that printed, say 10 cards, you weren't on the list of the other person that printed 10. The people that chose to print a card for everyone were the people that got the most cards in return. If you chose to print fewer than the full number, you will get cards primarily from those that chose to print for everyone, but not many, if any at all, from those that chose to print less. I did this so that the people who printed for everyone got as many cards in return as possible, and those that chose to print fewer cards got at least as many as they sent out.

I didn't get anything from Nige on how he originaly setup the option to print less that the full number of cards so I had to try to cobble something together based on the last exchange that he ran. I printed the full amount on that exchange but only got cards from some people I tried to work with the list of people that I sent cards to and that I got cards from to work out this system. Based on the list I was given, and the number of cards I got, it appeared to me that Nige was doing something like what I did this time - either that or there were a good number of people that didn't send cards in that round.

I'm not sure how I feel about the way this round was set up since those that send cards to all will get a few less that what they sent, while those that sent fewer will generaly get a few more cards than they sent. The other option, which I will likely make a poll for the next round, is to work out something like this. Each participant would be grouped with as many people as they could be so that they print and recieve the same number of cards that they asked for, and the people that said they would print as many as were needed would get as many as I can match up based on everyone's maximum number of cards. This would make a system where everyone has the potential to get exactly as many as they sent, but not everyone that chose to print the maximum would print the same number of cards because of the variety of maximums that people submit.

I think that this should be a decision of the people who will be putting their time (and money!) into the exchange, meaning the participants, rather than me though, so as I stated above, I will likely make a poll for the next round to see what those who want to participate think. On one hand I think that getting a few more cards than you send can be an incentive to print a few more, and on the other hand I know that time and money are a factor and that getting more than you recieve may either make people feel like they were put in a position that they didn't choose to be in, or to feel pressured to do something that they are not comfortable with. Either way, I don't want anyone to feel that way. For this round I did what I could on short notice, but for the next round I would like to be more organized and use the experience I gained this round to make the exchange better for everyone.

As always, everyones thoughts on any aspect of the exchange are VERY welcome. Feel free to email, PM, or post here anything that you think and I will take every comment to heart. I appologize in advance for those that feel that this round was not fair to those that printed the full amount. For everyone that chose to print less, their list is comprised only of those that chose to print the full amount so that there should not be too many fewer cards for most of us than we sent out. I am far less concerned with the time it takes to organize this than I am with the feelings of the participants, so please be frank with your opinions.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, and again, I appologize for anyone who feels that the organization of this round was less than it could have been. You have my promise that things will become better organized in the future.

- Randy
    Last edited by reellis67; 01-09-2007 at 08:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Randy,

would you have asked. I have a little program which does the distribution into groups so that anyone gets as many cards as one sends out. I will polish this program a bit and give it to you for the next round. Alternatively we can work together to organize the next round, e.g. I do the grouping, you send around . Would this be an option?

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy,

I had assumed that each person would get as many cards as they sent. Ruediger's program seems like a good plan for the next round.

Thanks for doing all the work!
    Regards

Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy,

First I have to clarify my original post. (I shouldn't write these posts between meetings and calls! LOL) Anyway, I am OK with this round, and to be honest I would be OK sending more cards than I would recieve, as long as my expectations were set at the beginning next time.

No worries, you're doing an awesome job and believe me, I know what a pain it can be organizing these things sometimes. In the end, it's all worth it. Thanks for clarifying and organizing.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My cards (31) sent out this afternoon. From my POV it seems reasonable to expect 31 cards in return, otherwise others are benefiting (i.e. receiving cards) when they haven't put the effort into sending the full set.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    My cards are now labeled addressed and written and will go to the mail tomorrow. This is the second time I participate into the postcard exchange and so it is the first time I experience the following, when I put the address on a card from s.o. who sent a card in the last round, I start bringing together names and images and then I check if it is the right card I remembered and so I go through the stack of last rounds cards again, and think about how will the next card of this person look like - that's nice. I think this round will be even more exciting.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've received my first card today. Thanks Ingo! I like the contrasting textures of the pillar and the stone steps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow - my cards hit the recipients very fast. Nevertheless, I am still waiting for my first card I will get from the others. Although "rst" got a card yesterday, I didn't get any till now. (Maybe he got one from the only-10-printers.)
    -ibo

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin