Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,440   Online: 920

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    ... That idea came up a few rounds back and the result was the ability for everyone to set a limit on how many cards they wanted to print.
    Yes, the system we are following right now is much more flexible than two separate groups. And if there are people who want to do the full set, two distinct groups would be not the right solution for them. In round 10 we will split the people in as many groups as we need to make everyone satisfied. Well the people applying for many cards or the maximum number may end up in groups a bit smaller than the maximum because there may be no exact fit for everyone. But the algorithm makes sure that everyone will get as many cards as he/she sends out (not taking into account that there might be participants who do not send cards or that cards get lost )

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    35mm

subject matter?

I have not participated before, is there any particular subject matter that is off limits or preferred? Or is it wide open? I am not sure if anything goes on a postcard.
    Thanks, Lynda

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lynda, the subject matter is whatever you wish. If you are happy for the postal systems of the world to view your image, then use it.

I look forward to seeing your card.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have just printed my first test postcard. One snag - the ink from my fountain pen doesn't adhere to the RC paper surface very well. It's possible to smudge the ink with a dry finger an hour after writing :-(

Hardly ever use a fountain pen nowadays but thought it would be more in keeping with the postcard exchange than using a biro. Please can anyone recommend a brand of ink that will remain legible on RC paper but won't irretrievably gum up my pen if such a thing is possible!

Thank you,
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in for 25.

Anupam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    recommend a brand of ink that will remain legible on RC paper but won't irretrievably gum up my pen if such a thing is possible!

Thank you,
    Ian
    Do they sell "Sharpie" brand pens in the UK? I also use Koh-i-noor and koh-i-noor inks to write on the front of postcards.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Stan,

I use a fountain pen for most of my writing, and I've found that Parker ink does well with RC paper if you let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. As far as I know, it will not easily smudge after that time in handling. I'll see if I can find some of my bookmarks for ink sellers - do you have one that you can fill yourself, or is it a cartridge model?

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    Stan,

I use a fountain pen for most of my writing, and I've found that Parker ink does well with RC paper if you let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. As far as I know, it will not easily smudge after that time in handling. I'll see if I can find some of my bookmarks for ink sellers - do you have one that you can fill yourself, or is it a cartridge model?

- Randy
    Thanks Randy, I have both a cartridge and a refillable pen. Sadly neither have seen much use since I started working in IT and sitting in front of a computer all day! I used to use Parker ink when I was at school, will buy myself a bottle tomorrow and relive my teenage years!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Please can anyone recommend a brand of ink that will remain legible on RC paper
    Warning - this reply may be seen by some as straying off topic....

Firstly Ian, Sharpie markers work well on the backs of the Ilford Postcard Paper. Another thing that I find works well is a 4B pencil.

Secondly - a rant (I hope Simon Galley is listening). A few years back, (before Harman) I had a friend who asked me to take some boudoir photos of her, and make them into a calender that she would give to her husband as a gift. My original thought was to print on RC because of how nicely it stays flat when unmounted, and to run the prints through a computer printer to print the calender grids on the backs of the prints, then spiral bind the calender. I soon discovered that there is no computer print technolgy capable of printing on the back of an RC print - even more frustrating, it was impossible to get through to someone who even understood the problem. My initial printer of choice was my Epson 1280 inkjet - it prints on transparancy material - ought to be no problem printing on the back of an RC print, nope. I called Epson, they pointed out that they made 'photo paper' which could be printed on both sides and that ought to work fine. They had no concept of what silver gelatin was. I called Ilford thinking that since they made both RC paper and inkjet paper that they would at least understand the problem, but even before they split into two companies, they might as well have been because there did not seem to be anybody there who was bilingual (A/D).

A really neat product would be an RC paper, with a non-plasticized back so that it could be written on. It would be the ideal material to make postcards and calenders out of.

Rant ends....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, having an uncoated back of the postcard, or any RC paper, defeats the purpose of RC paper completely.

One of the real accomplishments of RC paper, is it's processing speed, literally about 4 minutes dry to dry!

The second accomplishment of RC paper, is it's impact on the environment, RC paper requires so little water to wash. The processing of a single sheet of uncoated paper, will use bucket loads of water.

About 15 years ago, I tried with limited success, to run some small RC paper through my Hewlett Packard IIIP LASER Printer. I set the printer to print on card stock, which means it runs straight through to the rear of the printer, instead of going through a tight circle. I then tried some normal RC paper, it worked, but curled in fairly severe boomerang shape. I then tried some heavier stock, it may have been portfolio, cannot remember, but it was quite heavy, this worked with moderate success.

The moderate success was the time taken as one could only let one sheet go through at a time, wait about a minute for the machine to quieten down just before it went into sleep mode, then run another sheet through.

The exit rollers on a LASER printer have quite a bit of heat to dry the toner, when a LASER printer runs non-stop, these rollers get really hot and start to melt the plastic coating.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin