Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,762   Posts: 1,484,022   Online: 1261

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That postal ink all over the postcards...

If you mean the flouro orange/pink stuff theat Canada Post uses for its automated sorting / routing information..

This may gross you out, but I lick it off, and then lick my tongue on a kleenex to capture most of the ink that has been removed.

The tongue has the right roughness, and is just the right amount of wetness, that I have not been able to relplcate with a conventional moist sponge or rag.

The marks come right off, and the emulsion barely swells at all. Usually there is no sign of that routing mark was ever there within 30 seconds of this unconventional cleaning treatment..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the uh interesting cleaning tip Mike!

Now I can clean all my postcards from the postcard exchange that I receive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    If you mean the flouro orange/pink stuff theat Canada Post uses for its automated sorting / routing information..

This may gross you out, but I lick it off, and then lick my tongue on a kleenex to capture most of the ink that has been removed.

The tongue has the right roughness, and is just the right amount of wetness, that I have not been able to relplcate with a conventional moist sponge or rag.

The marks come right off, and the emulsion barely swells at all. Usually there is no sign of that routing mark was ever there within 30 seconds of this unconventional cleaning treatment..
    You need a cat! Great "rough tongues" although they're difficult to train and impossible to herd!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i am not i n canada, and i am sorry for the hefty price for mail, but
    any country that allows someone to cash a postal money order
    for the full amount without a fee attached at a us post office is okay by me!

my heart almost stopped once when i got a canadian post money order
    and the local and international banks wanted to charge me something like 35USD
    to cash a postal money order for 30 USD. (yes, i would have OWED money)
    lucky for me i called the toll free number on the back and the FRIENDLY person
    said " go to any us post office you will get full amount and cash "

from what i understand, canadian post will do the same thing for a us postal money order ...
    as long as it is an international MO and loony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cash my money orders at the bank. I deposit them like cheques. My Canadian bank will accept international US money orders just fine. My Canadian US dollar account will let me deposit the domestic US money orders too.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post

FWIW the postal delivery guys here in Van and earlier in Richmond were very personable folks.
    my emphasis

Anywhere in Canada I've gone, that description would cover most of the folk I've met. Only exception was one customs guy on the bridge from Detroit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    my emphasis

Anywhere in Canada I've gone, that description would cover most of the folk I've met. Only exception was one customs guy on the bridge from Detroit.
    Same here about Canadians. Our mail people have bee particulary good, especially when we moved and the first month or so we would get one big box after another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    I... were very personable folks.
    Isn't that the Canadian way?

I remember that on 9-11 when the airplanes were diverted to Canada, no one got on the radio or tv and said anything, the Canadians, each on their own, took blankets and pillows to the airports so that the stranded traveller would be comfortable. Some of the Canadians, even took in some to the flyers to their homes so that they could shower and get a good nights sleep. None of them ever asked for thanks or sought to be recognized.

That is the Canadan way.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I made my postcards yesterday and am heading to the local postal outlet here where my parents live. It's a very small outlet that's been in this 'hamlet' within Toronto. The lady who (now - since her husband died) owns the pharmacy where the outlet's been located since I was a kid is still working there. She must be 100, I swear. Do you guys remember the Carol Burnett show where Tim Conway plays the old man that shuffles at a tremendous pace only to move a few inches? Well, that's her. The movement part, that is. Sweet lady.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin