Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,487   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

Should we try to have a theme in the postcard exchange

Hi,

in the results thread of round 13 we started thinking about having a general theme for each round. Even if I started this by proposing a self-portrait round, I am still not sure what I should think about it. I do not want to drive anyone away from the exchange, so the theme (if there will be one) should be optional. I am also not sure about how we should decide about a theme and do not want to make this overly complicated. So in the end we might go as we did the rounds before.

Let us collect our thoughts in this thread.

As a reminder, the next rounds signup will start May 1st.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Oh, and I forgot, if we will go with the theme, my proposal for the first try would be "Creative or non-creative self-portrait". I hope this is flexible and open enough.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No 100% binding theme. I dont like that too much. But a proposal is o.k.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I rather like the idea; if we had it though, I see no reason why it couldn't be entirely optional. Just a suggestion, which people can feel absolutely free to disregard, would be rather nice I think.

As for how we pick it... Hmm; not sure. If it starts to get too democratic involving nominations and votes and wotnot, it could start to get unwieldy...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    ... The idea of being told what to photograph is reasonable, however if all of the cards coming in were of the same subject, it could start to look like a competition of who has the best version.

I see an incredible array of pictures coming in from around the world with each exchange. The way we all have different things we wish to photograph giving us a variable viewpoint of the world, is one of the strengths of the postcard exchange.
    These are two very good points which let me think that having themes would be a bad idea at all. I do not want competition and the variety of subjects is really a strength. Thanks for helping me getting a clear view. I should have thought about it before proposing a self-portrait round.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

Crossposted from the results thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never taken part in the postcard exchange but I am thinking about signing up for the next round. This is after Steve at the Lighthouse showed me the wonderful cards that he has been receiving. The thing I liked most about them was the diversity, both of materials used & subject matter. It seemed that people just felt free to express themselves however they pleased. I really don't like the idea of a theme as it will probably suit some more than others. E.g. if the theme is self portrait, or even portrait then I think a lot of people who mostly do landscape or still life or whatever would perhaps feel a bit sidelined. Certainly for myself I'd like to think that if I'm taking part that I can choose whatever image I most want to send without any thematic restrictions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can appreciate the desire to be creative with a suggestion of themes. However I agree with Mick about the general diversity and freedom we usually get in our exchanges and that being a strength. I want to stick to the open themes because that's what makes the rounds so interesting. If someone wanted to do their own theme then go for it like when rst and Ingo did that really cool dual image postcard a couple rounds back. When groups get into themes sometimes it feels like people don't want to think about what to photograph and this makes it easy in not choosing. This statement is in no way intending to offend by the way. Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No. Even though I might do a self portrait for the next round. But I LOVE getting all kinds of cards.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Variety is still possible even with a theme. One possiblity is images only from your town. Another is photography from summer vacation. I like the idea of a self portrait (which I've never done), but there are other less constricting ways to share a little about us with each other. Personally, I'd like to do an image from with in the town limits......although I won't be able to continue my county fair series (:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about having a crack at the next round, but don't like the idea of having themed rounds. I think leaving the subject open ensures the biggest participation and it is the variety of images I might recieve that attracted me to the exchange.
    Cheers,
    Crispin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin