Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,402   Online: 728

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Black dogs

Black Dog - This one is full of mystery. What's the story here...what's the guy with the hat thinking? Afraid of dogs? Love it.

Thanks again, another great round.

-Kathy[/QUOTE]

Hi Kathy-glad you liked it.It's from a visit to Barfleur in Normandy with my parents and Floss [black and white Border Collie].I noticed the two dogs facing off and just had the time to grab this picture [luckily I had a 28mm lens on my LX and had set it to f16]....a rare foray into street photography for me!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to all on my list. Has been another hectic month shooting overseas.
    Finally printed them up over the weekend, and they are just flattening out.
    Should have them in the post by Monday for all of you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    13 Nov 2008

To All:

It has been a very busy two weeks with work and relatives visiting from the UK. Now it is time to catch-up and comment on the cards I have received (in no particular order).

I like KWhitmore's card of laundry drying because it has so many stories to tell.
    Black Dog has very effectively captured an essence of this memorial. I really like the soft focus shadows in the background.
    Jon King's Egyptian Bull must have been a real surprise. I wonder what the builders of the bull were thinking. What a find indeed!
    MattKing's driftwood has good tonal range and lots of detail. I like how you kept the entire piece in focus. Good work!
    Tim Gray's photo really captures the sense of something being disturbed. I can imagine the pigeons being scattered by the bicycle. This photo also has lots of possible stories to tell.
    Anke Drewitz's card is one of my favorites for this round. The warm tone emulsion and base of this, unknown to me, paper makes the image glow. Great card!
    Buster6x6's portrait of Buster gives a real sense of how much of a companion he is.
    Finally for now, jst's card of the flume in the White Mountains. Nice work. Ruediger, you have taught you daughter well.

Thanks to all for your cards, and for your kind words regarding the card I sent. It is exciting to see what the mail brings to me each day.

Regards,
    Darwin
    Last edited by drpsilver; 11-14-2008 at 02:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added further comments

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete H View Post

I've received lots of great cards; in no particular order:

Pines in Fog from drpsilver - I like to shoot in fog too, but how do you keep the water out of the bellows?
    14 Nov 2008

Pete:

When photographing in the fog, or light rain, I will use my dark cloth to cover the camera as much as possible until its time to trip the shutter. I am not overly concerned with keeping the bellows absolutely dry. To date I have not had any issues with moisture inside the camera.

Then at the end of the day I will set-up the camera with the bellows almost fully extended and let them dry overnight. This assumes that you have a dry place to set-up. Of course if it starts to really rain I will throw the dark cloth over the camera and begin to pack-up as quickly as possible.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

finally, time snatched to comment on the cards in to date

Jake Williams – Plum pudding – I like the effective use of the shallow depth of field. The dim light, to capture the flame, allows you to cast the tea cup out of focus – but we still know what the cup is, and it sets the context for the balance of the image. Oh, and the memories of Grandma putting her home made steamed plum pudding on the table, or some years a carrot and raisin pudding instead. Then Grandpa would sally forth with the brandy, liberally douse the warm pudding on the plate, and then he would use the paper pull bit left over from the Christmas crackers, and transfer the flame from one of the candles that were always burning in a table centre piece of some sort to the pudding. Your image really takes me back.

Mark Fisher – County fair – Great abstraction I like the great contrast range, and sparse use of greys. My wife commented – ‘like a Warhol a bit isn’t it’

Warren Hinder – Eucalypts canopy on the waters edge – I love the deep brooding feeling the dark tone lower undergrowth give to the frame. Hats off to you for finding the still water to frame the reflection so well also.

Hal9000 – Leaves photogram. – A great range of tones; I usually just get whites and blacks with my photogram efforts. I not sure if you made this arrangement fixed by ironing the leaves to wax paper first or not. If not, then there would be a unique arrangement for each print, and I love that idea as well. The sugar maple leaf I easily identify with; I have been raking the things up and bagging them on almost every dry day I could find for the last 3 weeks.

John King – wow- what a subject – I love it.

Lillian Sly – Heads gardener- a very nice scan and inkjet print. I like how the saturation of colours captured by the original slide still echo well in this derived print.

Darwin – foggy trees – a very nice low key image. Great that you can pull such an image out of an overcast day; I wish I could – usually I see a day like this and think – good thing this is a work day, and not the weekend.

Buster – the true pal- He looks to be stirring from a nap taken on the back step, and has the same look that my kids give me when I am about to make an exposure – as if to say – oh dad, not another picture. Nice use of sharpness and a range of tones.

Tim Grey – Pigeon puddle – There must be too much latent CSI in my brain, because, like others, I saw this first as a pool of blood, with spatters. – the title set me straight.
    Last edited by Mike Wilde; 11-14-2008 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    received some more cards:

Jon King's Egyptian Bull - a quiet impressive thing to shoot
    Tim Gray's crime story - nice kiff-off to create some storys around
    drpsilver's nice dreamy fogged pines
    Buster6x6's Buster - Is he the buddy for your camera equipment?
    Nyx's abstract and toned details - love this tone

Thank's to all and even to the kind responses to my cards,
    Anke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday I received a card from nyx It is a wonderful image ,tone is outstanding. Marek you did not give me anything how the image was created. Maybe I would like to try something like that in the future. Tell me what camera and film did you use? Also paper and developer?. Very creative.

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

nyx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster6X6 View Post
    Yesterday I received a card from nyx It is a wonderful image ,tone is outstanding. Marek you did not give me anything how the image was created. Maybe I would like to try something like that in the future. Tell me what camera and film did you use? Also paper and developer?. Very creative.

Greg
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it

I'm sorry, I had enough trouble with printing the address sheets already, so I didn't include technical details. Maybe I'll master it for the next round.

It was shot with M6 + ZM 35/2 at some middle aperture on Trix souped at Xtol stock. But the important part is of course Foma 131 paper in Maco Superlith developer.

And believe me, I'm glad you can't compare the postcards with each other...lith printing 50 cards and trying to keep them all as close as possible...not fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Marek I believe you, print is outstanding though.

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received nyx's beautiful print today. Awesome print job. I think this is only the second lith print I've held in my hands. I just checked Marek's address, and it looks like the country is missing on my label. I haven't had it returned, so maybe I found it and fixed it before I mailed it - but maybe not. Anyway Marek, you should have mine by now - if you don't let me know and I'll send another.
    Also received Kathy's print of the bicyclist on the stairs. Nice capture! Did you just stand there waiting knowing somebody would do that eventually?
    I also received Buster6x6's picture of Buster, his namesake. Great dog photo. I can see him saying, "ok, but only one picture and be quick about it".
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin