Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,094   Online: 1054

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

7 postcards so far

Hi all,

received 7 postcards last weeks:
    Tim Gray's "Angry at salad"
    drpsilver's "Out of Business"
    johnnywalker's portrait of Dakota
    sly's "Clevedon Seafront"
    Shannon Friday's Milford Sound
    Mark Fisher's store window
    wazza's "Leura Overpass in Mist"
    All of them are interesting point of views, but no one is like the other, that makes these exchanges so interesting to me.

Thanks to all for this nice start fo this round,
    Anke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lillian, your card is great. I took one look and thought "English seaside town", although I don't know Clevedon. The composition works well with the dark IR sky.

Thanks!
    Pete H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit that I'm a bit slow this round. Cards have been stacking up, time to give some feedback before the stack gets too high... Cards received so far:

drpsilver: "Out of business", exactly as you describe it... Built with passion, full of ideas, and then, it just didn't work out. A shot with a story, even if only imagination. Great toning too!
    Mark Fisher:Lovely, light, funny print of the monkeys in the storewindow.
    Black Dog: bunker, nice one (but if you hadn't mentioned a bunker, I would have overlooked it). Nice shallow DOF.
    Tim Gray: Angry at salad/at me, really works well as a double feature. Tells a story. Well done!
    Mike Wilde: Quite a surprise to find an RA4 print, nice "on-topic" shot.
    Trotkiller: Great surfaces, lights, shadows, an interesting photo.
    sly:Very nice print; I'm a sucker for infrared shots, and this is no exception. Adds something spooky to the scene. Great shot.
    Shannon Friday: Milford Sound; very nice, very subtle background.
    Jon King: Although this is not a favourite subject, it is very well executed and I'm looking forward to more of the litter series.
    wazza: Leura overpass. Absolutely lovely structures, shapes, forms. Lovely. Thanks for your kind words.

And that's it so far. Ten received already! And I haven't even selected a print to send myself. Spent some time on two negs yesterday, but... no, they're both not what I expected. My time the coming week is rather limited, but I hope I can find something good soon after that.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thomsonrc's cab in Edinburgh - a great mix of textures in the image, and
    Shannon/Allen's boat - A nice, moody image, showed up over the last few days.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seven more fantastic cards to add to the bunch..

Thomsonrc I love the how the background seems to create so many patterns in this card.. and then how the black cab stands out in all it's shining glory in the midst of it all.. Great shot!
    Trotkiller Beautiful wooden shutter, very simple but with such great textures.. very nicely done.
    Shannon Friday Lovely shot.. very mysterious and almost pirate like, I love where the boat is in the photo too.
    Sly Clevedon Seafront.. looks very much like my own home town and gives me ideas for some shots of my own! Gorgeous print..
    Jon King A most unusual subject matter.. I didn't know the work of Irving Penn before this, but intend to take a look now.. The detail and clarity in this shot are just amazing and the tones are something I can only aspire to! Really great shot.. look forward to the rest of the series.
    Allen FridayI'm fascinated by the building in your shot.. it's huge and there is so much going on and yet it also manages to keep it's simplicity.. Great print really well done.
    Wazza This photo wouldn't be out of place in a Sci Fi movie.. I just love how this shot is composed.. Very well captured and really well printed.. Nice one!

Looking forward to the next batch!
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Arrived home to find a large batch of postcards waiting to be enjoyed. Great stuff. Here's a summary so far:

Mark Fisher the monkeys are so well framed that it's very easy to 'read' the image.
    Dawin Lovely tonality and toning. I love the way the bench in front of the shack is even more decrepit than the shack itself!
    Black Dog So sharp it feels risky to touch the postcard.
    Shannon Friday really conveys the mood in Milford Sound that day.
    Lilian Sly the IR works so well with this image. The buildings glow and stand out from the dark sky and garden hedges.
    Wazza The light mist in the tunnel gives a wonderful sense of depth that would otherwise be missing and adds an organic note to a strong architectural image.
    Allen Friday Wonderful tonality and sharpness. Interesting how the buildings look like a Norwegian stave church. Could this be something to do with the Scandinavian heritage of some mid-Americans?
    Pete H Great simplicity and printing with cooltone developer was inspired.
    Jon King Superb composition of 'litter' and the tonality works to enhance the image.

All in all, my first postcard exchange has been a real pleasure so far. Looking forward to the next eleven postcards!

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nuckabean,kraker,bwakel and Sile, thank you for your comments.

Nuckabean, it was the first time I tried FP4+ and Pyrocat. Before I've used FP4 in D76, and plenty of Tri-x 120 in Pyrocat. I think I do less burning on Pyrocat negatives, everything else being equal, and I do have a preference for liquid chemicals, so I used what I had for the cigarette pics. At 8x10, the images don't show any grain, which I was a bit worried about, so at postcard size, they look even better.

Kraker, cigarettes aren't a nice subject for me either. I lost a very close friend to them while he was still very young. For me, the difficulty was to try to make make compelling images out of what is for me an essentially repugnant subject. It adds a challenge beyond the normal photographic ones.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    03 Mar 2009

The past week brought 5 more cards to my mail box.

Thomsonrc's photo of a taxi in Edinburgh reminds me of the time I spent there last year. All good memories.
    The phots from Jon King is not of a favorite subject of mine either, but is is well executed. I like how you separated the tones of white background and white paper. This photo is a good example of what I call "negative environmental" photography. Good luck on your project on litter. I commend you on challenging yourself.
    The photo that Sly sent gives me a sense of peacefulness. I like how you used IR film to make the houses glow. Well done. I am glad that you like "Out of Business".
    Allen Friday's print is well executed with lots of mid-tones, but all separated to highlight textures. The grain elevators remind me of many summers spent in Wichita, Kansas with family.
    The print from wazza reminds me of the entrance to the "Time Tunnel" (TV serial circa 1966). Really well done. I like the composition, it draws the viewer into the print.

Thanks to all for such a great round so far.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Medium Format

three more cards to report on

Three more cards surprised me:

Allen Friday's Grain Elevator, indeed there is a similarity to the Norwegian churches
    Jon King's litter project, like Darwin says, not my favorite subject, but I would like to see more of this series; thanks for your kind words
    Pete H's Louvre in blue and sepia, really love this kind of tones in your split toning, I think this corresponds very well with the strength of the image

Jon King and Pete H, I too like the stamps on your cards

My cards should be printed by the weekend,
    Anke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Four more cards this week

Wazza's misty overpass. Good geometric patterns.
    Shannon Friday's Milford Sound. I want to go there!
    Allen Friday's Grain elevator. Interesting juxtaposition of the curved grain silos with the angular buildings.
    Jon King's very ashy cigarette butts. The shot really evokes the smell of stale cigarettes.

Thank you all!
    Pete

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin