Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,148   Online: 819

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, everyone.

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for including me in the postcard exchange. I'm living a long way from my family and most of my friends right now, and getting snail mail (as my generation tend to call it) is one of the real joys of my life right now. So thank you very much for thinking of me.

And for anyone who wants to come visit, I would highly reccommend it. This country is a photographer's dream. The lack of air pollution gives the light a particularly dreamy feeling that I've not seen anywhere else.

But mostly, thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're most welcome, and thank you for the lovely picture of the boat in Milford Sound.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Hi,

I have not commented on the many beautiful postcards I received so far. So here it is in no specific order:

Pete H. sent I nice image from rainy Oslo which exactly matches my contrast liking. Then Trotkiller sent a very nice detail which I also like very much. Shannon Friday sent a nice capture of a ship in Milford Sound. Thanks Allen thomsonrcs black taxi is great. Tim Grays Angry at salad/Angry at me reminds me at the postcards I once did together with Ingo. I like these ideas. Thanks to wazza who sent Leura Overpass in Mist, this is a very nice capture with lots of detail in a kind of minimalisic composition. Then sly snet Clevedon Seafront. Wow, this is a very nice image, what a glow in the front fasades of the houses. Hey, then I got one of the rare color postcards of these rounds. It is from Mike Wilde and it is from a time when Kodak still flew high And I got The Shadow Glass from Black Dog who seems to be specializing in square postcards. I like this image, it is very atmospheric. drpsilver sent Out of Business which I like very much. Thanks for sharing. JohnnyWalker sent a portrait of Dakota. It is a beautiful image and it is the favourite of my kids. How can it not be. bwakel sent a very atmospheric image from a morning in mist. Then Allen Friday sent the Grain Elevator - very nice and perfectly printed. All I know from Iowa is what I read in the books of John Irving. JonKing sent one of his cigarette photos. One may not smoke and one may not like cigarettes, but one has to respect what I great photograph Jon made out of those cigarettes. And last but not least Mark Fisher took a break from the county fair series and gives us a look into his new series - store windows. I am looking forward to the next rounds.

So, I know that I am still in-time, but I am later than I planned to be. Today the 500 pack of Ilford postcard paper arrived and I will hopefully find the time to print my postcards this week.

All of you who already sent a card to my daughter Judith - many thanks from her. She will also print her postcards this week.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cards received to date: great as always it’s wonderful to see what’s going on in other darkrooms across the globe.

1. BlackDog’s Seashell Love the drama and the abstract nature of this.
    2. Jon King’s Cigarette stub Looking forward to seeing the series, FP4+ in pyrocat – interesting tones and sharpness..
    3. Allen Friday’s Grain Elevator Amazingzly exposed everwhere has detail –
    4. Sly: Clevedon Seafront The IR film sure helped accentuate the foreboding of the oncoming storm: superb
    5. Shannon Friday (Allen) #2 This one I prefer, delightful misty seascape
    6. Drpsilver: “Out of Business” Love the tone, never heard of thiourea toning , stored for future experimentation
    7. M Wilde: Colour Balloons! The picture great, the explanation even better and the tones due to it. A real throwback to 70’s lab processing I remember as a kid…
    8. Tim Gray: Angry at Salad Just love this composition and capture and great idea with 6x9 neg holder. Going to steal this idea too—borrow sounds better.
    9. Mark Fisher: Store window country fair Super shot wonderful capture, leaves viewer guessing
    10. PeteH: Oslo street & candle Wow, such tones and textures. I love everything about this print.
    11. Wazza: Leura Overpass in Mist Superb lines and detail , really sucks you in to the middle of the print.

11/30 : yippee loads more to go!!
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All,

Cards sent today.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    10 March 2009

To All:

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that you like the image I selected for this round.

I will echo Shannon Friday's comment about New Zealand. I have visited the country two times, and each time I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay. It is truly a photographer's dream because the country has so much to offer. You can photograph glaciers, fields, forests, thermal activity, fjords, pancake rocks,... The list is almost endless.

Simplicius, thiourea is the common name for thiocarbamide. The color created by this toner can be adjusted by changing the ratio of thiourea and sodium hydroxide when mixing the toner before use.

Regards,
    Darwin
    Last edited by drpsilver; 03-11-2009 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Correct typos & added information

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drpsilver View Post
    10 March 2009

Simplicius, thiourea is the common name for thiocarbamide. The color created by this toner can be adjusted by changing the ratio of thiourea and sodium hydroxide when mixing the toner before use.

Regards,
    Darwin
    Darwin, thanks indeed for that information, It could not have come at a better time, as the toning on your postcard is exactly what I was looking for with a series I am planning ......
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi all
    As you know, this is my first Postcard Exchange, and the way that I am feeling at the moment it won't be my last! I know I was warned, but I didn't realise that the whole experience would be quite so enjoyable (especially for someone who doesn't normally show prints).
    I have received 12 prints thus far and each is wonderful in its own way. I shall not provide individual critique because you have all said the things that I have felt when the little gifts have arrived in the mail.
    My cards (25) were posted today. I deliberated for quite some time about what to send and waited to receive a few before I felt confident enough to batch mine up and send them off. In the end I couldn't decide what really was good enough, so I did two different prints with 13 receiving one and 12 the other.
    Apparently there is a gallery that I can post scans of both cards to, but I am not a subscriber yet so I will wait until I am in the next week or two. I shall post both so you can see what you "missed out" on ...
    Thanks again for including me in this fabulous activity ... surely the best example of how the web can be used that I have come across for some time ...
    Have a good one. boyd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicius View Post
    Darwin, thanks indeed for that information, It could not have come at a better time, as the toning on your postcard is exactly what I was looking for with a series I am planning ......
    11 Mar 2009

Simplicius:

You are very welcome. I wish you the best in your new series of photographs.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    4 more great cards in the post so far this week..

Pete H Really lovely dark tones on your card and I love how the candle (?) light flares in the centre.
    Nate The trees in your print are just gorgeous, such a beautiful view to have outside your home. Unfortunately yours was the only card I've received that was damaged in transit, but it doesn't take away from a lovely print.
    Wayne Your print of Portland Breakwater light is beautifully printed with dark tones in front and the mistier light tones in the background.. really beautiful amenity to have close by.
    Simplicius this is another fantastic print from you of Dublin.. The focus on the central character is gorgeous and Che's face almost jumps out from the front of the card.. Hope you're warming up your camera's for the St. Patrick's day festival next week!
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin