Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,015   Online: 942

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have any experience with mailing 8.9x14cm (3 1/2 x 5 1/2") postcards? I've sent them within Australia, but I'm not sure if they'd work going abroad. They're a bit below your standard 10x15/4x6" size...
    I've got 100 sheets of it sitting here, but if not I'll go and try to track down a box of Ilford postcard paper.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    Oh Matt, now the surprise is ruined.

Roger
    Roger (and Christopher):

You do realise that the attachment to my post is not the postcard image itself, but rather all 24 cards waiting to be dispatched?

Besides, the attachment's angle of view was chosen carefully - enough to tease, but not enough to reveal all

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with mailing 8.9x14cm (3 1/2 x 5 1/2") postcards? I've sent them within Australia, but I'm not sure if they'd work going abroad. They're a bit below your standard 10x15/4x6" size...
    I've got 100 sheets of it sitting here, but if not I'll go and try to track down a box of Ilford postcard paper.
    Alex:

I have sent out 5x7s and 4x5s from Canada in the postcard exchange. They comply with Canadian postal requirements, but I understand that at least the 5x7 size would be in breach of the rules for cards originating in the USA. Despite that, I never had any problems with the ones that were sent to USA destinations (or any other destinations either).

Your Australian post office people may be able to answer the question for sure.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Checked with Australia Post, the minimum size for a postcard to be considered a postcard is 88x138mm, so my 89x140mm juuuust scrapes by.

I've mailed a couple 5x7s to the US as well and they apparently arrived, so as long as it complies in the country of origin it seems to be OK. I've sent a lot of nonsense through the mail myself, but I'm a little paranoid this will be the one time I make a silly mistake and 50-odd postcards get lost in the ether.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post

I don't know your current location, but where can you get the Ilford Postcard paper in Aust (or more specifically, Adelaide). My usual haunts (Totals, P/wholesalers, Photoco) don't have it in stock and I couldn't see it in the Vanbar listings either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vanbar have one of the worst online shops in the hemisphere, in my humble opinion. But! they do have it listed, under an entirely dumb name, "Ilford MGRCP 10.0x15.0 100sh portfolio", Ref No: i252-100 - no mention of it's postcard nature at all, but that's the one, $40.08.
    If you email them (orders@vanbar.com.au) they should be able to tell you if they have it in stock. They also let you pay via direct deposit, which was always handy for me when I was starting out - but keep in mind their postage expense is almost always $20, no matter how small an object you're buying.
    I did purchase a box from them about 2 years ago, but when I tried to order some stuff from them back in January, it took them a month to call me back, so I'm a bit iffy about them now. I was gonna go to Total Photographics and try to beg them to order some in for me...
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    $20?!???! for postage?

I probably could get it cheaper from freestyle or even B&H!!

Thanks for that. I was going to either cut some bigger sheets up or use the smaller gear, but I like the idea of the convenience of having the paper as is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here I am stuck up in northern B.C., far from my darkroom, fretting about blackflies, mosquitoes, grizzly bears and getting stuck in the mud and you guys are sending out postcards already! I haven't even chosen a negative yet. Oh well, maybe I'll get the definitive picture of a blackfly while I'm here.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    04 June 2009

WOW, this round is starting fast! Unfortunately most of June is going to be very full with activities and commitments. My hope is that I will have cards in the mail by month-end.

Thanks to all who have already posted cards. I look forward to seeing your work.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    $20?!???! for postage?

I probably could get it cheaper from freestyle or even B&H!!

Thanks for that. I was going to either cut some bigger sheets up or use the smaller gear, but I like the idea of the convenience of having the paper as is.
    I take that back.

$60 for postage from Freestyles for a pack of paper...yikes

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin