Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,442   Online: 947

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot...I haven't even picked out a negative yet, so some of you are well ahead of me!

I thought I was going to print one of my shots of the ruins of Tiger Stadium, but I wasn't sure it would mean much to the international participants, so I started thinking better of it.

Also, in the last postcard exchange in which I participated, the pic I printed was a bit baseball themed as well, so......
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been away for work for a bit, so a wonderful haul in my postbox this morning:

Rachelle's wonderful derelict house, Old Burr Homestead, on HIE, made on a paper I've never seen before, cool!
    Gurkenprinz's Happy Nuns which brings back some happy paper memories of learning to print on Brovira.
    Jostie's card of part of Winnie the Pooh's world, handsomely printed on 13x18cm stock.
    Darwin's fun visual,"Old Woman Road, Napa"
    Lori's car window detail-much appreciated as I often find myself drawn to the same type of subject matter.
    Last but not least Mick's strongly composed "Wheat Silos", which arrived in absolutely pristine condition despite having come the farthest.

About half of my cards have been sent. I've mixed it up this round and sent a few different subjects and different tonings including Selenium and Iodine. I'll post them to the gallery a few weeks after they've all been mailed.

Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just got those amazing silos from Mick. They are incredible, so nice that in fact it makes me shy to send mines...
    Great job Mick !!!
    - Note to self: Next time processing a film, take notice of the shape of the beer bottle and the shape of the fixer bottle, and note the differences. -

Shooter
    35mm
    I also got my first ever postcard exchange print. beautiful print from Mick, really liked it. the postal office promptly stamped it, on the image!!!! ( i think i'm going postal....)
    now i feel just like Patrick does. hope mine measures up to the quality here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david James lee View Post
    i feel just like Patrick does. hope mine measures up to the quality here.
    I know that mine will not measures up, but I think that as long as I do my best at all stages of the process (shooting, developing, printing), I think they can have the same value, for me at least... But geez, I would like to print like they do
    - Note to self: Next time processing a film, take notice of the shape of the beer bottle and the shape of the fixer bottle, and note the differences. -

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Got these in the last week:

Gurkenprinz - happy nuns! They look... happy. haha. Fun photo.
    Lori - great texture on the car door.
    Jostie - Love the feeling I get from the photo of the trees.
    Darwin - haha. great eye. I would have missed the road sign or the walker.
    Mick - wow sharp. I'm always blown away by large format prints since I rarely see them. Lovely composition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iíve vowed to respond more promptly to the cards Iíve received for this exchange. So far Iíve received the following six:

donminbox - a colourful commercially printed card. I understand that a replacement will soon be provided, but I thank Don for sending this one anyways
    gurkenprinz - Two Happy Nuns-great smiles
    drpsilver - Old Woman Road, Napa-nice print, and a subject that brings rise to a smile
    lorirfrommontana - Grain Elevator with Flag-I like the flag!
    Mick Fagan - Donald (Victoria) wheat silos-a striking and dramatic print
    mooseontheloose - Old Burr Homestead-an eerie and striking image, Rachelle-you really have a knack with HIE

Six cards received so far, and 24 yet to come.

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, Patrick,
    Do not under any circumstances think any postcard print you send, is better or worse than what anyone else sends.

Content is king, quality is secondary!

That said, if one is able to achieve good content, is lucky enough to nail exposure, has a good go at getting film developing correct, then one is more than likely able to get a reasonably good print that one can be proud of.

When I was seriously teaching myself the craft part of photography I was often amazed at the quality of work produced, day in day out, by commercial photographers. Seeing what they produced and under the conditions they produced their work, I decided to up my own personal ante continuously, until I hopefully achieved a level I could be satisfied with.

These days I am more or less happy with the technical level of work that I output, the artistic part though, is another matter.

I have been in the postcard exchange for a fair few exchanges, in that time I have seen some very interesting prints, occasionally the technical aspect is dominant, sometimes the content is dominant, sometimes the technical and content features of the print are equal and of a standard that you find your eyes are riveted to the print for some time, this is terrific and makes me wish to do something equally as well or better.

Other times I have seen prints that are sort of a bit low technically, sometimes they are a bit low from a content point of view, sometimes a print comes through that is technically and content low. These kinds of prints are often from people who are near the start of the learning curve, or maybe they are using extremely limited equipment, whatever.

I have consistently noticed that if these people stay in the exchange for at least three consecutive rounds, their prints do seem to somehow get elevated in aspects of content and technical quality. This is a most gratifying thing to see, and I believe one of the best aspects of the postcard exchange!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Do not under any circumstances think any postcard print you send, is better or worse than what anyone else sends.
    I couldn't agree more ! I was a bit intimidated when entering round 18, but if it was only for the practice it gave me (editing, printing consistently...), it pays back very quickly !

Today, I received Darwin's Old Woman road. Wow ! I love the mood, I love the tones... great shot (and keeps me wondering what this device (I don't know the english name) near the post is doing there...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    ...I received Darwin's Old Woman road. Wow ! ... (and keeps me wondering what this device (I don't know the english name) near the post is doing there...

I too really like the image. It is, I believe a faux road name sign. In the US the 'AARP' is the American Association of Retired Persons, a lobby group.

The english word for the walking assistance device sitting around the post is just a 'walker'.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin