Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,555   Posts: 1,599,247   Online: 1312

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1418192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kathy, I'll be on the lookout for your card. Sounds like the Canadian Postal Service leaves a bit to be desired.

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    One of the ladies working the P.O. counter brought out a device for measuring letters and whatnot...long story short...my cards were smaller than the measuring thingy's opening.
    Sounds like an April 1st joke of poor taste. I thought there was an internationally agreed min/max size for postcards so that this kind of thing did not happen.

Maybe time to contact head office and get a definitive answer in writing.

edit - canadapost.ca says: Length: 140-235 mm
    Width: 90-120 mm
    Thickness: at least 0.18 mm
    Weight: Up to 50 g

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello to all;
    My cards were posted to day. Apologise for being late.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The US postal service accepts 3.5" wide postcards (e.g. 3.5" x 5"). Canada Post insists on a minimum width that is at least a couple of millimetres wider.

I had a box of 3.5" x 5" Ilford paper that came for free with my enlarger.

Confession time - in this round, my cards to the USA were 3.5" x 5" (and mailed from Washington State for $0.28 each!)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So...I've just measured one of my extras and it's 3 3/4" x 4 7/8". Is it really just 3mm that this person was threatening me about? I can't imagine...I think they've lost their postie minds! ;-) Still, my apologies in advance in case there's trouble over this.

@Matt- 28 cents? hmmmm... (Marge groan)

Kathy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    So...I've just measured one of my extras and it's 3 3/4" x 4 7/8". Is it really just 3mm that this person was threatening me about? I can't imagine...I think they've lost their postie minds! ;-) Still, my apologies in advance in case there's trouble over this.

@Matt- 28 cents? hmmmm... (Marge groan)

Kathy
    Kathy:

It looks like your problem is with the length of the card - the minimum length is 5 1/2".

The USPS rate for international (not Canada) postage for postcards is $0.98 USD vs. $1.70 in Canada.

I was really tempted to send my international cards from the USA as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Today I received a nice wintry shot from Tim Gray. Really like the mood of this shot. Nearly makes me want to go give the young guy an umbrella.

Cheers
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I got a beautiful card from Tim Gray this morning. The light is incredible. Thanks.
    - Note to self: Next time processing a film, take notice of the shape of the beer bottle and the shape of the fixer bottle, and note the differences. -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I received Patrick Latour's "Jour de Pluie" yesterday. Lovely close-up of drops on a leaf, I like the low-key and the selective focus a lot. Thank you, Patrick !
    Laurent "Je suis Charlie"

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Thoe who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.

My APUG Blog

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    If I haven't accidentally left some cards between stacks of mail, then this is what I have received to date.
    I knew I shouldn't have said that. I found two more between a stack of recent mail, sorry about that:

Black Dog, Deal #2, nice high-key beach shot. Four heads above the water, they make for a great composition. And... no WW II bunkers this time, what happened?
    polyglot, Cambodia. Also a great shot and a great print, the light shining through the trees, the kid by the waterside, the reflections in the water; nice.

And one "fresh" card as well (didn't get temporarily lost between a stack of mail):

Allen Friday, Carousel and Tower. Typical Iowa image? Could have been Paris for all I know! Lovely evening/night shot, beautiful print.

My cards are printed (I'm glad I chose to do 25 this round and not more; I had exactly 27 sheets of Postcard paper left once I had done the test strips... Talk about a close call). Still need to address them, though. I plan to have them all on their way within a week from now.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin