Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,067   Online: 908

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the appreciative comments...the paper for the Luss Hills images is Galerie and I'll be using it a lot more in future. The informal moments are all from a portfolio of my family and hopefully I can get some in Ag, lenswork etc some time.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My post cards went intot he mail yesterday. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have enoyed the ones I have received.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Comments Finally!

10 Aug 2010

This is the first time I have been able to visit APUG, for more than a few minutes, in several months.

First, thank you to all for your kind comments. I am glad that you like the image. I, as several of you mentioned, like photographs that make you think about what they are, or have a hidden form in them. I find these kinds of photos very interesting.

The comments below are in order of the pile of cards that are next to the keyboard. Here we go!

Gurkinprinz: I like how the light shaft guides the viewer into an area of rich detail.
    Hwv: Interesting perspective of ??? This print works on several orientations.
    Sage: What stories can this house tell? I like how you maintained detail in the porch ceiling.
    Laurent: I really like all the angles that lead the viewer to the flowing water.
    JohnnyWalker: Nice portrait of this banjo player. Good job differentiating the black tones. It is not easy to photograph black on black.
    Kevin Kehler: So muck detail! Good use of a limited range of the film. Nicely done.
    Pete H: I like how the people add interest to the photo. Took me a while to figure out the rock formations.
    Labcoat: We have take off!
    Oxleyroad: You can almost feel his excitement.
    Likemarlonbrando: You successfully captured this driver's desire to get a fare.
    Rob Skeoch: I cannot imagine how difficult it is for the Haitian people. Very nice portrait.
    Kraker: I really like the ethereal nature of this print. Your choice of paper adds to the print. To bad it is no longer available.
    Slumry: I assume that these were not self-extracted. Either way these suggest a painful journey.
    Hoffy: This reminds me of several local creeks. I really like to light accent on the rocks. It gives the image depth.
    PhotoJim: Nice image. I like how the clouds model the tree. Wonderful detail throughout. I also am attracted to derelict buildings.
    David James Lee: Nice composition that effectively merges lines and curves. Rain in Paris - who would have thought.
    MattKing: Nice use of depth of focus. You effectively isolated the float/bumper from the rest of the image. Well done.
    Allen Friday: I like how th light and dark cliffs are balanced top to bottom. The bushes in the foreground keep the viewer's eyes in the photo. Well done. Must have been a fun trip.
    Anikin: It is refreshing to see a color postcard. I like how you have maintained the depth of focus. Almost feels like you could walk among these figures.
    Sly: Beautifully toned. Thanks for renewing my interest in cyanotype.
    Aluk: Interesting perspective on a big palace. What paper did you use to print this card? I really like the feel, texture, and tones.
    Fleath: Thanks for the "limited edition postcard"! The symmetry of this image is very interesting. It gives the viewer something to think about.
    Dave Martiny: Nice portrait, and commentary on the economy. I also like the repeating parallel lines in both directions. They give the image "structure".
    Mooseontheloose: This sculpture garden must have been fun to see. Zen and photography - interesting mix of contemplation and work. Hope all is well with you in Japan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6 new cards while I've been away.

Wisdom teeth from Slumry: nice idea, and a bit unsettling. I like it!
    MattKing's Fender, or possibly Drop Earring. It's a good abstraction of detail - boats always have lots of potential but can be very cluttered. This one works well.
    ignatius5: quite graphic and i like the subtle motion blur.
    CrispinUK: My first Minox shot too. Looks like a good fun event. I've just been at a Viking festival, but there were some rather anachronistic glasses around. Can't see that in your shot.
    Allen Friday: How did you keep the camera dry? Or didn't you do the bouncy bits? The tones are really rich and the depth of the shot is very satisfying.
    Andrew Carson: Great expression. I hope he made his first catch!
    Black Dog: It looks very damp to me. Atmospheric in a very literal sense.

Thank you everybody!

Pete H.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pete did I send you the one of the misty hillside with the wall? Or the sculpture?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Pete did I send you the one of the misty hillside with the wall? Or the sculpture?
    It was Luss Hills #2. It's always looked like that when I've been there too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finally finished writing the comments. Here they are:

Fleath: I like the small subtle details like the sandal. That Canon LTM lens gives a very nice look. I also like the feel of a fiber based postcard.
    Mick Fagan: It's a very interesting angle. I quite like the lighting on her neck. I find the model's expression very nice and it matches the image.
    Sly: I don't think I've seen a real Cyanotype before. The print looks beautiful. There's something special about a print that's completely handmade. I have been contemplating experimenting with alternative processes for a while, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Your postcard is so inspiring; it should motivate me to finally get started.
    BoxBrownie: I like the part of the satellite dish in the top of the picture. It's little details like this that tell when the photo was taken.
    drpsilver: I really like the texture of the photo. It's funny how it looks like it's grainy at first, but then you realize that it's the rocks. The out of focus area in the top left corner shows how smooth the grain of the film actually is.
    Laurent: The composition is really nice. I like how the hard diagonals contrast the fuzzy, curvy grass.
    PhotoJim: There's an impressive amount of detail in this photo. The tones just look perfect. I also like the clouds at the top of the frame. Somehow it looks like everything is pointing towards the building.
    Pete H Oslo Opera House: It looks like it's a pretty cold day. It's funny that most of the people are wearing dark clothes. There's so much going on. I like how that one man near the top left corner is looking over his shoulder for his kid who is a bit behind.
    Rob Skeoch: I like the worker's expression. It's a very nice portrait.
    Slumry: That looks painful.
    Allen Friday: That place looks beautiful. It must have been awesome raft trip.
    crispinuk Time Machine: This is so cool. I have never seen a real photo from a Minox. There's something unreal about the picture. I can't really say what it is, but it looks different from what I expect a photo to look like. It's not just the grain.
    markrewald: The eyes look amazing. They're staring right at you.

From now on I'll try to comment on the remaining cards as they come in.

Thank you all again for sending these wonderful postcards. I'm always excited when I get the mail hoping that there's a new card.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay! I finally have my postcards all ready to go. I'll try and get them to the post office tomorrow!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Alex, Darwin and Pete for the kind words. I like the image you linked to Alex, although the boat therein is just a little bit bigger than the one in my own!.

I’ve previously commented on 14 cards received from other APUGers. Since then, cards from 3 more APUGers have come in:

markrewald - “Pioneer Monument and Fountain” - an excellent print, and a nice "portrait" - like the eyes!
    Allen Friday - “Grand Canyon” - really nice depiction of soft light in a harsh environment
    KWhitmore - "Outdoor Sculpture, Lachine Quebec" - a nice juxtaposition between the graceful trees and the angular sculpture

17 down, 11 to go!

Thanks to everyone for participating.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I received yesterday :

LikeMarlonBrando's "You wanna ride ?". This is the card that made it to Australia via "Piggy back" and then was sent to me by Mick Fagan !!! Thanks to both of you.

Mark Rewald's Pioneer monument close-up. I like the symetry of the view, and the rendition of the stone.

Thanks !
    Laurent
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin