Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,435   Online: 796

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Rob. I'm looking at a 5x7 camera on that auction site, so it might be 5x7 for me after all. I may do a search here for that particular brand to see if it fits my needs. MAybe i'll have a good New Year's present
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I just mailed my postcards out. I took 11x14 paper and cut it into 5.5 x 7 pieces and made my prints. The post office didn't mention if they were too large or not. They cost me the regular letter amount of $1.00 to the USA and $1.70 International. Canada hasn't had a cheaper Post Card rate for decades.

-Rob
    Rob - I received your card yesterday so must be within regulations. Very nice paper btw and a great image for the paper.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I just mailed my postcards out. I took 11x14 paper and cut it into 5.5 x 7 pieces and made my prints. The post office didn't mention if they were too large or not. They cost me the regular letter amount of $1.00 to the USA and $1.70 International. Canada hasn't had a cheaper Post Card rate for decades.

-Rob
    Rob:

You were lucky. The Canada Post specifications for postcards indicate a maximum size of 9.2 x 4.7 inches, so the 5.5 inch dimension ought to have resulted in a rejection.

I've used 5x7 paper in the past and just trimmed slightly.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have seen postcards on fibre paper, but they are a bit less durable.
    Dear MattKing,

Why do you say that FB are a bit less durable ?

Was thinking to participate at the round 24 but i have only FB on stock for the next months.

Thanks for your explanation as i am a newbie in a postcard exchange.

All the best

Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually like getting FB through the mail. Not sure if I'd use the words "less durable", but most of mine have come through relatively well. Postcards will have dings and dents - all part of the process I guess and part of the quirks associated with the PE. Sure a FB might have the corners a little more dog eared sometimes, but I've received regular postcards in worse shape than some of the FB prints I've received.

Guess it all comes down to the carrier you use, the time of the year, who delivers it and whether there are 31 days in the month it arrives (or maybe that you post it?)

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Getting postcards that look a bit worn out is part of the deal in the postcard exchange. After all, it is postcards. I can only speak about my experience, but I do not see that FB postcards arrive more worn out as postcards printed on RC paper. I myself switched to FB paper because I think writing on them is nicer.

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Dear MattKing,

Why do you say that FB are a bit less durable ?

Was thinking to participate at the round 24 but i have only FB on stock for the next months.

Thanks for your explanation as i am a newbie in a postcard exchange.

All the best

Rom
    I probably should have said something like "less rugged" .

RC is less likely to arrive torn, but I'll agree that I've certainly received a fair number of FB cards in great shape. I would think though that the old style single weight papers should be avoided.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin