Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,535   Online: 1029

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yesterday I received Darwins Moonlight bolinas lagoon. I am fascinated by this shot!
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got the Moonlight Bolinas Lagoon shot too, thanks! Love the contrast though the post office was not kind to it :-(
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    Things are speeding up. One card yesterday, four today (one of which is from round 21).

Moopheus, Canal St., a very interesting shot. At first it was hard to grasp the scale, but looking more closely shows the true size of the lettering and the partial sign. Well spotted, I wonder if I would have seen the potential had I walked past it.
    Kevin Kehler, Frozen flowers. I had read some comments about it, which had made me curious. And... I'm not disappointed. Quite the contrary, I think it's a very nice shot.
    Black Dog, gathered from coincidence. Just the right sharpness where needed, and the blur of movement where... well, also where needed. Sorry if you have answered this before, but what camera was used? I see some darkening towards the corners, which is great for this shot.
    George Nova Scotia, Cobequid Bay. Great detail, lovely contrast. Nice serene scenery.

And with this comment posted, I will return to my writing desk and address my (soon to be yours) postcards for this round.
    Thanks for the appreciation...I used my trusty Mamiya 330, probably with a 180 mm lens. The light was starting to fade a bit as it was late afternoon in february....looks great printed on 16x12 Fortezo [my last box], tho Galerie is nice!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too received Darwin's moonlight & fog image - lovely scene that i don't get to see very often here in BKK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Three more to tick off:

Kevin Kehler Frozen Leaves - If it wasn't for the description, I would have thought it was flowers. Very nice.
    drpsilver Moonlight, Bolinas Lagoon - Stricking play of light on the water. Would love to see a large print from this neg as there is something in the far distance that caught my eye.
    George Nova Scotia Cobequid Bay - The second seascape (was there a theme to this round ?). Another one of those prints that gets looked at in detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Round 22 well underway.
    Mike Wilde was the first off the mark with his trio of great images. I think the abandoned wall is my favorite of the group. Always nice to see the different papers an I for one support the bonus envelope!
    Vlad' "opium" made it way across the pond and seems untouched by Customs department.
    Uwe's "Elephant House" arrived. The post office had fun with this, black felt markers back and front, a couple chips out of the image but still great shot.
    Paul_c5x4's Jaguar. I think he's hungry, I like the sparkle in his eye.
    gerkenprinz's "Second Life" I think the shovel is a bit sad looking, left along in an old factory. great framing without the foreground it would just be another sad shovel.
    Moopheus's scary dolls, sorry just scary.
    JohnnyWalker's BC fishing. I tried fishing once, never quit got the hang of it, just a pleasant day in the country for me.
    Meltronic's pasture. Love the deckle edge. I think the deer was posing just for you.
    sepiareverb's mystery image, an upsided ramp?
    Dave Martiny's plant, yes front yards are great places to find images.
    Oxleyroad's extra wide card. A simple image made great with the wide framing and toning. I really need to get some toner.
    rst's "Into the Light" I'm not quit ready to head into the light but I'm glad to see the are handrails.
    Craig Cross's "Away for the Winter" Hopefully they'll be returning soon. I love snow scenes.
    HPulley's "night Clings" A calm river draws you in. Love the grain.
    Sly's "Snowing Again" Just a little snow to dress up the winter trees.
    5stringdeath's "Summer" I guess I'll have to go out and get some "spring" shots.
    Black Dog's " Moment Observed. Yes speak softly and carry a big stick.
    ignatiu5's "Spires" The moon is a great detail that wants a place to rest.
    Keven Kehler's frozen leaves. Great tones, light and shade.
    anikin's "Tinker Bell" The blue toning really adds to the image. Chilly
    BoxBrownie's Southwick Hill. I wonder what archeologists will make of this in a few hundread years?

That's all so far looking forward to the next mail.
    George

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a stack of postcards on my desk at home as it has been really busy at work for a couple of weeks which is why I haven't commented on received cards yet but I plan to soon. I thank everyone for your comments, it is always nice to have feedback (which makes me feel bad for not leaving comments yet). I thought I would make two quick responses prior to that.

I called these things leaves and most responses say they are flowers; officially they are from a vine which produces inedible berries so I think they can be called fruit but I have no idea what they actually are. This picture is almost 200% actual size of the leaves/flowers/fruit, done through a combination of close focusing and enlarging. Frozen flowers sounds funny to my ears but probably more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Kevin Kehler's frozen leaves -lovely composition - they look very much like flowers, and I'm curious as to how you got the background so black.
    The pure black comes from a velvet cloth, stretched taunt to prevent light differences/shadows from forming; I then spot-metered the cloth and added 4 stops to get exposure - Zone I placement allowing the leaves/flowers/fruit to fall on whatever zone they may. I then had to compensate for the filter/bellows extension and reciprocity failure.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After reading about cards I'm NOT getting I will definitely be in for the max next round...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    During this week, I received :

Kraker's Sycamore gap. Lovely landscape (I love this very wide angle view !) with great composition, details and tones. Well done !

DrpSilver's Moonlight, Bolinas Lago. Again a great landscape, very "impressionist", which works very well.

Thanks !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Kraker's Sycamore gap. Lovely landscape (I love this very wide angle view !) with great composition, details and tones. Well done !
    Thanks, Laurent. Obviously, I knew I received my own card already (although I hadn't commented on it yet ), but this is the first confirmation that at least one other card made it to its destination. Glad you like it.

To all recipients: I'd like to apologise beforehand for not getting the borders straight on each and every copy. Usually, I print a wider border. Lesson learned: the smaller the border, the more noticeable the deviation.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin