Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,505   Online: 903

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm using 8.5x11 labels and using the copy/paste function to "import" the addresses from the PM into a Word doc. I then use the column function to create 3 columns and the play around with the font size and spacing between the label to fit then nicely onto the pages. Then slice them up on the Rotatrim and I'm ready to go. I have found that the Avery shipping label are easier to peel the backing off. I bought Staple's brand and they were a nightmare.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use WordPerfect and the mail merge function.

I import the semi-colon delimited address data into WordPerfect and then use search and replace to replace the semi-colons and line breaks with the appropriate merge codes. I then add a salutation field. This gives me a data file.

Next, I prepare a template formatted for the labels that includes merge codes for the salutation, my descriptive information and the merge codes for the names and addresses. The first time I did this, it required a lot of tweaking to get the labels and printer to work well together. Since then I just re-use previous templates by updating the description - works like a charm!

Finally, I merge the template with the data file, tweak it to deal with spacing issues that arise because of those amazingly long addresses from places like the UK, and then print away.

The first time I did this it took a lot of time and fiddling. Now it goes really quickly.

Here from postcard exchange 20 are some pdf representations of the files - a label template and a portion of the data template (showing addresses that are already "public").

I put these on to Avery 5160 laser labels.
    Attached Files
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use latex and the labels package. But I'm a weirdo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I use LaTeX and the labels package. But I'm a weirdo.
    Hey, I use LaTeX too, but that doesn't make me a weirdo. apt-got gLabels and discovered how easy it was to churn out bits of sticky paper - If only the printing on the other side was as easy

Having the address data (almost) ready to import as a csv file is a big help (thanks rst, much appreciated).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm outputting the addresses with an analog device.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use latex and the labels package. But I'm a weirdo.
    Well, I use a perl script that generates postscript. What am I then?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haha. We don't have names for people like you.

I'd love to see that script.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, you can see it at http://www.anikin.com/documents/print_apug_postcard. It's from the last exchange...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very cool. I've never generated postscript directly.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Very cool. I've never generated postscript directly.
    Well interesting what you guys do with the address data. The last time I produced postscript was for my thesis where I wrote a program to draw algebraic curves. Whatever this is, one option was to generate a postscript file to output the drawing of the curve on a postscript printer. Another option was to generate metafont output so that I could easily place the curve drawings in my thesis which I wrote in LaTeX.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin