Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,465   Online: 924

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personal apology to Fred, Monty, Anke and John. I swear I will send these prints out. They are done, I just haven't packaged them for the mail. I am very sorry for being so late.

Now, you guys are adding to my guilt, since the prints I have received from everyone are so beautiful. Where do I start?

John sent an 8x10 salt print of an empty building interior. Not only have I never seen one, he also sent a fantastic write up AND also sent the formula. Talk about rubbing salt in my guilty wounds! John, thank you so much for this beautiful print and detailed write up.

Fred also sent an 8x10, but this is a palladium-platinum print of a stream on very cold winter day in Calgary. I can't get large areas of white as white as you have in this image Fred. I like the detail showing through too.

Anke sent a 4x5 cyanotype of the interior of a local church. The image, with the border patterns, really conveys an image of depth. I guess one day, when I'm old and on my deathbed, I think this would be the path I'd like to take to the light. Assuming I'm heading upwards instead of downwards, that is. Oh who am I kidding?

Finally, I am saving the best for last. I just cannot describe how completely overwhelmed I am with the print I got from Monty. All I can say is I absolutely love this image. Seriously, if I miss the post office again this weekend, it will be because I will be having this print custom matted, mounted and framed. To me, it's just a spectacular print.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Art,

Thanks for the positive feed back and I'm pleased you enjoyed the print.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Monty,

Like Art I'm well impressed with your print (as is my partner - she just loves it), loads of detail and I love images that always reveal something new everytime I go back and have and have a look. But what I like most is the size of the negative, wow thats just such a great size. Am I right in assuming that is the neg and not an interneg?

As I said to FredW I'm going to have to have a crack at Platinum/Palladium prints, I've already had a look at B&S starter kits!

Thanks for sharing such a great image.

Cheers

John

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks

Thanks to FredW, UKJohn and Art for their nice words, I'm pleased to hear you like my print.

UKJohn,
    thanks for this interesting print, I never got this tonality and colour with my first steps in salted paper printing, so I have a new target to reach

Monty,
    I'm overwhelmed by your print, the size, accuracy and everything..., but if you want to share I would like to know something about your process, some technical details please.

Fred,
    thank you again for your print, it was not bended, only the borders were affected and I'm sure this will flatten down, if not I will follow your suggestions.

And thanks to all, as the prints show to me a very different point of view than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by FredW View Post
    Interesting, just looked up the Argyrotype process, and may have found out that clearing my VDB's in chlorinated tap water may be causing the colour which I do not like.
    Sometimes a hot Iron can change the colour of a VDB to a more neutral brown like the one one gets with Argyrotype.

Quote Originally Posted by FredW View Post
    I am also interested in your technique for generating the enlarged negative, I had used in the past, but a two step process, a intermediate film positive, then onto the final negative. Thank you.
    Fred: are there any more things you want to know about the process than I mentioned in the enclosed letter?

Regards,
    Anke

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
    Hi Henning

Yes I have your print - and I apologise for the delay in acknowledging you! Henning has created a wonderful image from a pinhole camera and use the gum over process to ceate an inspirational image. Many thanks indeed!

All the very best, Carl
    Yes-and many thanks!2nd all of the above
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    UKJohn, Anke, Art, and Fred,

Thanks for all the beautiful prints and the kind words to the print I sent out. Art I would be honored to be on your wall!! I am pleased that everyone so far has enjoyed it. Fred I remain amused that something can get to Germany and England before Calgary but such is the world it seems some time. i hope you won't have to wait too much longer to receive it.

All of the prints are beautiful. These print exchanges serve in so many ways. First they let you know you are not on an island pursuing these different process's and that so much excellent work is getting done all over the world. I like that kindred spirit that is exchanged along with the prints. Secondly seeing the great prints help refine your own vision by seeing the world up close through the eyes of another and how they did it up against how you might of under similar circumstances. That exchange is worth the whole process--the print seems like a prize at the end! Thanks to all.

Okay a bit now about the process i used. Sorry I was having some printer issues and got lazy on handwriting info out. So here it is.

This print came from a trip taken earlier in the summer when I moseyed on through Mingo Junction, Ohio. This is the town where they shot the movie Deer Hunter. Its a steel town and this structure was part of a massive steel factory. Shot mid day under intense sunlight. f64 @ 1/60th of second. The 7 x 17 negative is indeed shot in camera and is TMAX 400 film which I bought through the TMAX order that John at JandC ran 2 years ago (now if I could just get the 2300 dollars worth of 20 x 24 film I ordered from him or a refund life would be peachy, okay okay no bitter rant here I promise). If you will notice the print is just under 7 x 17 though as the intense sunlight worked its way in the side for a small amount of light leak (Even my good ones usually have some "MONTY" in them somewhere, which in this case meant that I forgot to leave my darkcloth on when I pulled the darkslide out). I trimmed it off and printed just shy of the original 7 x 17 inch negative. The print is a Palladium print with one drop of Na2 which adds a bit of Pt to the print and gives it just a pinch of contrast that I felt the print needed. The paper is 16 x 20 Cot 320 from Bostick and Sullivan that is cut in two for two prints per sheet. I developed in Potassium Oxalate and cleared with the Sodium Sulfite/EDTA mixture in Arentz's book. Thats about it. I am hopeful to see if I can do a gum over/Pd print soon of the negative to compare it but I too love it the way it is!

Thanks again and I hope it works out that we would be in groups in the future. If anyone has any further questions please don't hesitate to ask here or via a pm.

Best,

Monty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Monty, just received your beautiful print today, I love the tonal range, and the almost etched look of the print. Its the first time for a 7x17 print, and find I really like the panoramic format. I give it a closer look in sunlight tomorrow, as when the postman dropped it at the door, I was already dark out. Thanks a lot, its great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Folks,

OK, I managed to make it to the post office today and my prints are on their way. Sorry for being so late.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yay! I received Diane's print this morning! I was so worried it had gotten lost in the post. It's lovely. Thank you so much

(I do feel guilty I now own two pt/pd prints and they cost way more than cyanotypes do.)
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday, I too received my print from Diane. And absolutely stunningly printed it is too. Thanks so much.

Geoff

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin