Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,155   Online: 810

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Received a wonderful print from Carl this weekend. Fantastic write-up as well. Many thanks. It was also really good to receive a print that required a little thought on my part.

Thanks again.

Geoff/Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're welcome Geoff - now put my mind at rest

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Carl

Put your mind at rest, eh? Well, I'll start, but there is so much to say about this.

Firstly, the print quality is excellent and I'll say no more about it (than perhaps you squeezing your lens to its max :-))

Photographs fall into many categories: some are just 'pretty', some tell a story, some are both, and occasionally, some just imply a story. For me, your's falls into the latter category. Mine generally are just 'pretty'; the viewer will walk past, say "Hmm, that's pretty" and move on to the next. I looked at your's and wondered. And that is why it is great. Simply because it made me wonder. When mine falls though your door, I challenge you not to think 'camera club'. It ticks all the right aesthetic boxes, but you will, metaphorically at least, think "hmm, nice" and move to the next.

I'm not knocking pretty, or anything else, but when someone comes to my house, I want them to wonder why the hell I've a print of a tree and three plastic chairs on my wall, and I know they will mentally keep going back to that image. That's why your print will be the first thing that anyone sees when they walk through my door.

Cheers

Geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Many thanks indeed Geoff - I still need to work on this and being out with Tim Soar was really interesting and challenging too! At the end of the day I know I have made an image that is not pretty, maybe better suited to a series of images that would expand on the story but one that I thought about, found and you're right there were no tripod holes there. Maybe because people thought better of using a sheet of 10x8 film!

Now about putting my mind at rest was about the name at the top of the the enclosed letter

Quote Originally Posted by gwatson View Post
    Hi Carl

Put your mind at rest, eh? Well, I'll start, but there is so much to say about this.

Firstly, the print quality is excellent and I'll say no more about it (than perhaps you squeezing your lens to its max :-))

Photographs fall into many categories: some are just 'pretty', some tell a story, some are both, and occasionally, some just imply a story. For me, your's falls into the latter category. Mine generally are just 'pretty'; the viewer will walk past, say "Hmm, that's pretty" and move on to the next. I looked at your's and wondered. And that is why it is great. Simply because it made me wonder. When mine falls though your door, I challenge you not to think 'camera club'. It ticks all the right aesthetic boxes, but you will, metaphorically at least, think "hmm, nice" and move to the next.

I'm not knocking pretty, or anything else, but when someone comes to my house, I want them to wonder why the hell I've a print of a tree and three plastic chairs on my wall, and I know they will mentally keep going back to that image. That's why your print will be the first thing that anyone sees when they walk through my door.

Cheers

Geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was I thinking you wanted a critique!

Yes, you called me Gary. But, like I said, whatever you're most comfortable with.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Group 3

Hi Carl, John, and Rory

Just to let you know your prints were mailed today. (I had 7 prints to mail globally - won't be welcome at the post office for a while!

Happy Xmas all (like that's possible, eh!!).

Cheers

Geoff

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hello all,

My prints will go out the middle of January. Sorry to be late but that's when I get some time off for the first time in ages. Happy Holidays to everyone,

Monty

Shooter
    Medium Format

Group 1

Hi Monty, Todd, Phill & Erin,

my prints are on the fly, hope you like them.

Anke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't do until mid/late-January too(I thought that was when people would send out prints anyway?). Been busy. I am working on the piece, though, and am getting closer to a result.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diane, Lillian, and Heather.

I sent your prints today, hopefully you will have them in the New Year. Enjoy.

Interesting tidbit, it cost me more to mail the same package within Canada, than it cost me to mail it to the UK and US.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin