Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,325   Online: 980

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just received Eugene's lovely cyanotype. Thank you very much, its been another successful exchange.

Eugene, when going from an negative - positive - negative, process, one should target the development of the film positive to be slightly flat, with good detail in the shadows, and highlights. By this I mean, if it makes a good slide, you are over developing. You achieve the final contrast in making the enlarged negative. That being said, I have not used x-ray film, so i do not know how good it is at recording the tonal range available.

You mention two coatings, does that mean that you had to re-register the print for the second exposure?

Fred.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Fred, I'm glad you like it. About the negative contrast. X-ray film I used did not produce much of a contrast in my Ansco 130 developer - I think it's inherently low contrast film. The cleared highlights resulted from my multi-layer coating approach. Now, from the letter it sounds like I did it on purpose. That could not be any further from the truth. This is my first set of cyanotypes, so the multi-coating was an honest mistake, I like the results, and maybe next time I'll do it on purpose .
    The deal is, my 9 year old daughter did a first set of cyanotypes for her school project. I did not touch them, only supervised. She used Sullivan's formula, except she substituted potassium dichromate for ammonium dichromate. It produced beautiful deep blue prints. However, the coating had a few blue spots in it after drying. My initial theory was that the amount of dichromate was too much, so when I started this project, I reduced it by a third. I tried a first test print and amazingly the print was yellowish-brown like what you see in the highlights. The only issue was that it had rather low d-max. I tried adding couple more coatings from the same mix, which resulted some improvement in contrast, but still not enough. Out of desperation, I mixed the exact Sullivan formula and put another coat on the paper. And this is the result that you see. It is only one exposure, however very long. The yellow coating is slower than blue, so it causes some clipping in the highlights. I agree with you that doing some kind of registration and double exposure first with yellow coating and then with blue should produce much nicer dual-tone image. I'm only afraid it's quite a bit more than my current level of expertise.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Group 1 - Waaaay behind

Well, I've finally finished my prints, and now Canada Post is on strike - but they're moving the action around the country - a couple of cities a day, so I'll get them packaged up.

It's been hard to find spare darkroom time this spring. Usually I'd be feeling pretty guilty about being so late, but I haven't recieved any prints. Others must be having a hard time getting it together as well.

I'm in group 1. Paul has posted, so I know he's working on prints. Haven't heard from the other 2 in our group. Are you still in? Should I send your print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes sly, I'm still in. I've been building a permanent darkroom in my house, and thought it would take a lot less time to finish. That, along with other obligations haven't given me much opportunity to work. My aplologies to the rest of my group, I'll get it together and have the prints finished and in the mail soon.

Adam

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just glad to know you're still working towards it Adam. Hope your new darkroom is lovely, efficient, and roomy. I thought my darkroom was terrific when we built it 6-7 years ago, but that was before I had a 4x5 enlarger, before I owned an 8x10 camera, before I started alt printing. I don't have enough countertop, a big enough sink, and there are waaaay too few cupboards and shelves. 3 times bigger would be good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Here's a pic my wife took a few days ago. I wouldn't say it's roomy, but it is lovely and hopefully effecient. I've got to try it out once, and it's going to be a great space for making prints. The room is about 12.5 x 5ft with a nice 5.5 x 2.5ft sink.

Again, sorry to my group for the delay - I'll be starting on your prints soon.

Adam

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fourteen sheets later, I think there might be three usable prints. Once dry, I hope to get them finished some time during the week.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just received Adam's salt print - Packaging got a little beat up by the postal system, but the print survived with minimal damage. Not seen a salt print before..

Mine should be in the post this week (once I've found a couple of sturdy boxes).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Prints are finally on their way to sly, adamc, and tj01 - Hopefully the Canadian post is getting back to normal so Lillian's box should arrive within two weeks. Last time I checked, Homeland Security (sic) is still delaying mail for "additional security checks". No idea what the service is like to Malaysia, but I suspect it will beat all others in the race

As to the process used, I'll leave it as a surprise for the recipients.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just received tj01's print - Unfortunately, no info attached so I kinda assume it is a gum print of view around Bukit Tabur near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - I've tried my hand at gum printing once (must try again soon), and didn't achieve the tonal range this print exhibits. One to frame and hang on the wall for a while methinks. Thanks tj01.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin