Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Alt process print exchange?

Just wondering if there would be any interest in a print exchange centered on alternative processes. For those of us in the learning stages, nothing could be better than to see how the prints of others look. With technical info included it would be even more so helpful. Since most people figure things out on smaller negatives we could keep the cost of shipping down and maybe go with small groups as done in the regular print exchange.

Also, by alt process I guess I'm refering to contact printing process. Not to be exclusionary toward anyone. But it would probably help keep the comparisons in the apples to apples region.

Any interest?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    the prints i will be sending in the Round 3 print exchange will be 8x10 contact prints either on Kodak AZO or Ilford MG FB WT..

does that count?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mateo's prints are awesome. He is truely gifted.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hey mateo

would an enlarged print made from a hand crafted negative count?
    i don't make negatives large enough to contact print yet ... but down the road maybe i will, just so i can do the exchange

- john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Mateo's prints are awesome. He is truely gifted.
    I agree.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mateo,

I'd love to participate. I'm new to APUG but I'm part of the eBay Contact Printers Guild with Jorge etc. I print in platinum/palladium.

Gerhard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Maybe I should have been more specific in describing what I had in mind. I hate the idea of being exclusionary and would rather not say X is ok but Y isn't. But here is what I was thinking: many of the handcoated processes have allot in common and many people don't have access to shows where they can see first hand what, for example, a well made Van Dyke print could look like. So an exchange and discussion of the prints could probably help some of us out. But this would have to be limited to processes that have enough in common to be of help.

Maybe even having more than one process isn't feasible. Maybe there would be enough people starting out in Pt/Pd to make an exchange of just that process work. Maybe another one of Van Dyke/Kallitype. The idea is not just to be able to collect prints, but also to learn and see.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Images
    Mateo,
    I thinks that this is a great idea! I have been on the cusp of trying Kallitypes toned in Platinum or Palladium. I have done a few VDB from 4x5 in the past. It would be great to have a support group/mentoring exchange. TomTom's working prints, and of course, your variety of wonderful AP prints, shown at the SF Bay gathering, really made me want to try the alternative processes again.

What few alternative process prints that I have seen "live" have been an inspiration. You may count yourself, and your prints, in that group.

During one of Per Volquartz workshops, his co-leader, Harvey gave an absolutely great mini-workshop on PT/PD printing. He took the mystery out of the process. He is an accomplished photographer, and an emerging PT/PD printer. His prints were very appealing.

Sandy King's posts and articles regarding Kallitypes has me leaning in that direction. I have considered the published PT/PD workshops, but time & $$$$$$$$$ dissuade. I just hate to put out funds for materials to waste in solo learning. The PT/PD Kallitypes appear to be a cost effective entry and learning point.

We could do the print exchanges and then, perhaps have scheduled discussions in the chat room. There may be enough APUG'ers in the Bay Area to have some sharing meetings and/or workshops. Another of our SF Bay Wine 'n' Show attendees is just coming back from a PT/PD workshop.

I do not have any alternative process prints to exchange now. But I think your idea would be most beneficial to current and pre-emerging AP printers.

Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Large Format
    I print in platinum/palladium (mostly palladium) and would be interested in circulating a print. This is the only process I use but would like to see what others are doing. A young man looking at my work once asked if I ever tried other alt. processes and I remarked, after doing platinum I had no interest in any other processes. Dick Arentz was standing there and remarked, " he's an elitist platinum snob!" with a chuckle. I hope I'm not, but a platinum/palladium print "really does it for me"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mateo, guess you know I think this would be a great idea. Would you consider 4x5 to small?
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin