Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 969

Shooter
    Multi Format

Introduction to the Blind Print Exchange

Introduction to the Blind Print Exchange (BPX)

PLEASE READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR THE BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE

NEW FOUR MONTH SCHEDULE
    I think the pace needs to be picked back up a bit. So we are going to go back to a four month schedule and get three rounds in per year. Each period's fourth month will double as the signup period for the following round.

For those that don't know what the Blind Exchange is, here's a brief explanation:

People sign up to become "participants" during the signup month via PM to the organizer (me).
    Participants PM me their full name and mailing address.
    Organizer arranges so that every participant sends one or more print(s) to one other participant. Likewise, all participants will receive a print(s) from a different participant than the one to whom they sent.
    It's 'blind' because the participants do not know who will be sending them a print
    When you send/receive, please post immediately on the status thread so that the organizer can more easily keep track of overall progress. Et voila. You're done.

CURRENT ROUND

Round 18: July 2013 (ending 31 July 2013 at 23:59 EDT)
    Print and Send: August, September and October 2013
    Rest and Relaxation: November and December 2013

Round 19
    Signup: December 2013 (ending 31 January 2014 at 23:59 EST)
    Print and Send: January, February and March 2014
    Rest and Relaxation: April 2014

Round 20
    Signup: April 2014 (ending 30 April 2014 at 1700 EST)
    Print and Send: May, June and July 2014
    R&R: August 2014

Round 21
    Signup: August 2014 (ending 31 August at 1700 EST)
    Print and Send: September, October and November 2014
    R&R: December 2014 (Happy Holidays)

COMMUNICATION IS KEY!

Please post immediately in the status thread upon either sending or receiving prints. I really need to know and doing so would be a huge help. If you need to contact me, please feel free to PM me about any old thing your heart desires. Always note the Round to which your correspondence refers.

So, what exactly do I send?

There has been a lot of questions about the 'quality' of prints. So here's some basic ideas.

Make the best print you can. It does not have to be museum quality, but there shouldn't be spilled coffee on it either!
    Mounting/matting your print is optional.
    Say something about your print. I'd encourage everyone to add a note, especially if you are a newbie that is looking for some feedback, with some basic information about the print such as the following . . .
    Camera
    Film
    Exposure settings
    Developer
    Development times
    Other pertinent info
    B&W or Colour? Fiber Based or Resin Coated? 4x6 or 16x20? Your choice.
    Polaroid transfers, Polaroid emulsion transfers, PT/PD prints, Ilfochromes, etc... are all acceptable. Even contact prints made from the hybrid method (film-->PC-->acetate-->paper) is acceptable.
    Lambda or Lightjet prints of reversal film is fine for those who lack the capacity to print Ilfochromes. Please make certain you state these processes if used.
    Generally, a decent 8x10 or larger is the norm. Send whatever you feel like printing to get your vision across. If your neg looks best as a 4x4 inch square print or as a 24x36 inch print, just do it and have fun.

PACKAGING

Here are some known methods that people have been sending their prints:

flat, sandwiched in between two stiff cardboards, in a flat cardboard mailer or a soft bubble wrap mailer <--very good for unmounted prints, OK for mounted prints
    flat, loose with popcorn, bubble wrap, newspaper or other soft material in a cardboard box mailer <--good for mounted prints
    rolled in a cardboard tube <--very not good for mounted prints
    hand delivered <--now that's dedication!

OTHER SIDE NOTES

Please be prepared, if you want to participate, to mail your print internationally since you may get someone overseas.
    Note that for customs purposes, value your print under $10 USD or 10 EUR when sending a print overseas to reduce holdup in customs.
    For those of you in the US that want to send your prints via Priorty Mail, you can get free cardboard boxes from USPS at your post office or online at http://www.usps.gov. If you order them online, you'll need to order 25 mininum of each size and it takes about a week or so have it delivered to your address.
    IMPORTANT. If you cannot honor your commitment and have already received your print, please send the print you received to the person to whom you were supposed to send your print. Please notify the organizer immediately. If you have NOT received your print yet, please contact the organizer ASAP so that a correction can be forwarded, if possible.
    Please do not signup if you still have past Blind Print Exchange commitments you still need to honor. Complete them first then feel free to sign up for subsequent rounds.
    Make certain you have the correct address on your mode of shipping. Triple check it. I would rather be deluged with PMs than need to have someone reprint and pay postage a second time.
    And last but not least. This is a member organized function. There is no one 'legally' responsible for anything, unless Jason Brunner signs up and sends bacon through the post (again?). Might be some health issues there. If a problem arises, please contact me first. We can generally figure these things out and we'll go from there.

Disclaimers. Well, my legal department is non-existant so there aren't any. Just have fun. Please realize that there is a remote possibility that you may not receive a print. Your sender might have to move and will have no darkroom for a year or more. They may, for personal reasons put up their cameras and gear for sale. In the past, members have sent additional prints to those who have not received a print. This will not always be the case. Just so you realize that it a possibility.

Thank you.
    Eugene Anikin
    APUG Blind Print Exchange Organizer

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD TO POST GENERAL QUESTIONS SO THAT OTHERS MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS FAQ.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 12-08-2013 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I am reading this as a single print--correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Correct.

You make one print and send it to the address you received from the organizer. Someone else does the same for you. Since nobody (except the organizer) knows which name was sent to which participant, it's a blind exercise. Both you and your recipient only find out when the package arrives.

If you wish to make and send more than one print, that's OK. But you are obligated for only one.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    PACKAGING

Here are some known methods that people have been sending their prints:

flat, sandwiched in between two stiff cardboards, in a flat cardboard mailer or a soft bubble wrap mailer <--very good for unmounted prints, OK for mounted prints
    flat, loose with popcorn, bubble wrap, newspaper or other soft material in a cardboard box mailer <--good for mounted prints
    rolled in a cardboard tube <--very not good for mounted prints
    hand delivered <--now that's dedication!
    Having had a print totally trashed by postman dunking a package in a bucket of water (or dropping it in a puddle), can I implore participants to put prints inside a plastic bag before posting. For my part, I've taken to using heat sealed freezer grade bags, but this may be considered a bit over the top by some.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

CHANGE IN THE BPX SCHEDULE !!

The schedule has changed because the BPX19 round took longer than anticipated. There was some discussion about moving to a 6 month cycle, but we're sticking to a 4 month period for now. I've taken over the BPX from Christopher, who is offline for now (personal reasons). So if you have a question, please let me know.

The new cycles start @:

BPX Round 20
    Signing up: closed on 20th of May 2014
    Print and Send: June, July, August 2014
    R&R: September 2014

BPX Round 21
    Signup: September 2014 (ending 20th of September)
    Print and Send: October, November, December 2014
    (beware of the holidays!!)
    R&R: January 2015

BPX Round 22
    Signup: January 2015 (ending 20th of January)
    Print and Send: February, March, April 2015
    R&R: May 2015

Thanks,
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin