Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,818   Online: 1081
      
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 83
  1. #31
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,338
    Images
    48
    I mentioned this in the previous round, but it might be worth repeating here as well just to give an idea using some actual numbers.

    My print went from near Seattle, Washington to Oslo, Norway, sent USPS. It was dry mounted on 11x14 board with a custom matte and a backing board. It was boxed at 12" x 16" x 4" and filled with bubble wrap. The total postage cost was USD $22.30. It took eleven days to arrive.

    I would think this cost to be near the high end, unless the destination was further from me than Europe. I do think that, in absolute terms, for sending something of that size one-third of the way around the world in under two weeks, it's not an outrageous cost. Factoring in affordability, however, is another story entirely. YMMV...

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  2. #32
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,464
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I mentioned this in the previous round, but it might be worth repeating here as well just to give an idea using some actual numbers.

    My print went from near Seattle, Washington to Oslo, Norway, sent USPS. It was dry mounted on 11x14 board with a custom matte and a backing board. It was boxed at 12" x 16" x 4" and filled with bubble wrap. The total postage cost was USD $22.30. It took eleven days to arrive.

    I would think this cost to be near the high end, unless the destination was further from me than Europe. I do think that, in absolute terms, for sending something of that size one-third of the way around the world in under two weeks, it's not an outrageous cost. Factoring in affordability, however, is another story entirely.

    Ken
    I wonder how much it would have cost to send it just north, to Canada.

    I ponder this, because sometimes there seems to be no sense to the rates.

    As a case in point, I recently sent a JOBO developing tank and 1000 series reel to an APUG member in the eastern US. He only needed the reel, but it was cheaper to send it in a box big enough for the tank then it was to send it in a box just big enough for the reel.

    And the cost of sending that parcel was over $10.00.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #33
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,363
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    > This one is too expensive for me...so I'm out, sorry guys...

    Dear Stone,

    in postcard exchage you have to send a card to every participant of that round, or you select a slightly smaller amount of cards. So you have to deal with 20-40 cards every round.

    In BPX you have to send only one, but usually larger print.

    Costs are not that expansive, if you avoid sendig a real huge print overseas. A decent print can be sent in a large enveloppe.
    OH!!

    However again I don't wet print

    I think I read I can use "lightjet" printing for chromes since Cibichrome isn't available anymore? What's lightjet? That may be my only option.


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #34
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,338
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder how much it would have cost to send it just north, to Canada.

    I ponder this, because sometimes there seems to be no sense to the rates.

    As a case in point, I recently sent a JOBO developing tank and 1000 series reel to an APUG member in the eastern US. He only needed the reel, but it was cheaper to send it in a box big enough for the tank then it was to send it in a box just big enough for the reel.

    And the cost of sending that parcel was over $10.00.
    So I'm thinking you may have a "lilypad" business opportunity hiding in there somewhere, Matt! What's your address again???

    I will add that the post office lady did have to spend a few minutes looking up the cost from a huge book. She also seemed unsure as to whether she was correct. "Were you prepared for that [amount]?" she asked, as if seeking confirmation from me that she wasn't wrong. With six people waiting in line behind me I wasn't going to argue a few dollars one way or the other, so I replied "Sure."

    After hearing the package contained a photograph and quoting me the cost, she then asked, "Why don't you just email it?" Sigh... Without breaking eye contact I slowly picked up the box and gently shook it. I'm not sure that registed, however.

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  5. #35
    ataim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    51
    Images
    1
    Count me in. PM sent with information.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Capital of Oregon Territory
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    777
    Marco, Mark, Menno, Katie and Paul, Welcome in!

    Katie, I assume your address has not changed?

    I feel this is going to be a great round! Updated list:

    Eugene (anikin)
    Bert (TheToadMen)
    John (JohnRichard)
    Edward (Ed Bray)
    Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
    Uwe (piu58)
    Paul (paul_c5x4)
    Andrej (andreios)
    Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
    Marco (mesantacruz)
    Mark (Mark_S)
    Menno (spijker)
    Katie (Katie)
    Paul (ataim)

  7. #37
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,464
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    So I'm thinking you may have a "lilypad" business opportunity hiding in there somewhere, Matt! What's your address again???

    I will add that the post office lady did have to spend a few minutes looking up the cost from a huge book. She also seemed unsure as to whether she was correct. "Were you prepared for that [amount]?" she asked, as if seeking confirmation from me that she wasn't wrong. With six people waiting in line behind me I wasn't going to argue a few dollars one way or the other, so I replied "Sure."

    After hearing the package contained a photograph and quoting me the cost, she then asked, "Why don't you just email it?" Sigh... Without breaking eye contact I slowly picked up the box and gently shook it. I'm not sure that registed, however.

    Ken
    If you really want to use up a frustrating amount of time, get a scale that will work for postal purposes (I use a digital kitchen scale) and then work your way through the options for parcels on Canada Post's website.

    The good thing is that you can use that site to pay for the shipping and print the prepaid label and customs documentation from your computer, and if you pay for the more expensive options, they will come to you to pick up the parcel. Also, if you receive payment by PayPal for an eBay sale that you issued a PayPal invoice for, you can purchase the shipping through a Portal that originates there, and get access to special, discounted shipping options.

    Now, after that aside, back to the matter at hand.

    I'll join up again for this round.

    I'll send you a PM with my address Eugene, although it is unchanged from the one I use for the Postcard Exchange.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  8. #38
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,464
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    OH!!

    However again I don't wet print

    I think I read I can use "lightjet" printing for chromes since Cibichrome isn't available anymore? What's lightjet? That may be my only option.


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lightjets are one of the options available to labs who want to print digital files on to photographic paper.

    Just check with your lab about the output product. If it is a print on a paper that was light sensitive and required chemical development, it is fine. The most common is either Kodak or Fuji paper suitable for RA4 process (or the equivalent) but there are remnants of other suppliers (Mitsubishi?) and Ilford/Harman make black and white paper designed for lab digital exposures and chemical development.

    In essence, if the prints are not ink on paper, they are okay.

    EDIT: And of course, the original "capture" must be analogue in nature (usually photographic film).
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  9. #39
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,363
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Lightjets are one of the options available to labs who want to print digital files on to photographic paper.

    Just check with your lab about the output product. If it is a print on a paper that was light sensitive and required chemical development, it is fine. The most common is either Kodak or Fuji paper suitable for RA4 process (or the equivalent) but there are remnants of other suppliers (Mitsubishi?) and Ilford/Harman make black and white paper designed for lab digital exposures and chemical development.

    In essence, if the prints are not ink on paper, they are okay.

    EDIT: And of course, the original "capture" must be analogue in nature (usually photographic film).
    Ok I'm in again, PMing the appropriate people.


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Capital of Oregon Territory
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    777
    Welcome back Matt!
    It's good to have you here, Stone!

    Here's updated list, please let me know if I missed someone:

    Eugene (anikin)
    Bert (TheToadMen)
    John (JohnRichard)
    Edward (Ed Bray)
    Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
    Uwe (piu58)
    Paul (paul_c5x4)
    Andrej (andreios)
    Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
    Marco (mesantacruz)
    Mark (Mark_S)
    Menno (spijker)
    Katie (Katie)
    Paul (ataim)
    Stone (StoneNYC)
    Matt (MattKing)



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin