Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,070   Online: 1126

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Haha no, I should be scared, I don't have a darkroom so I know nothing about printing at all, so I HAD to send a chrome since that has the loophole of being able to use a light jet process by a lab that's still a chemical process, but I had no hand in the creation of the print except scanning the chrome into my computer. (And shooting it of course).

So I'm embarrassed that my critique is an uneducated one, I can only comment on what I see, but I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to produce so I would prefer to PM you.

I've been waiting till I can get to a computer to hold the print in my hand and comment, but that won't be till Thursday probably so I'll message you then.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stone:

You don't have to be a printer to be able to comment on the qualities of a print.

Many, many very good photographers have relied on others to do their prints for them, and still have developed an eye for print quality.

They are missing out on a lot of fun, but otherwise they are quite capable of coming to an informed opinion.

Do you ever have someone do a custom print for you? If so, what discussions do you have respecting those?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    My image will be printed and mailed in a week. I'll update after the fact.
    I've selected two images so I let my wife decide which one to send after I have both printed.

Bert
    Good news and bad news.

I went to the local photo store to have my color negative (6x9 cm) printed. I spoke to one of the employees about a week ago and he said they didn't develop film anymore but still could print (chemically on real photopaper) up to 8x12 inch. But when I went today they told me they don't do it anymore. It is too much trouble to calibrate the machine for just one print but the could also make a nice inkjet print in even larger sizes. I thanked them friendly and went home again....

So, back to square one.

The good news: I found a wonderful professional photolab (fotovaklab Color Utrecht, in Utrecht, Holland). They develop all types and sizes of film, print color and B&W and are very friendly. So I drove 80 kilometers to bring my negative. He promished to print tomorrow and mail it right away. I hope to post my image end of the week. Shipping may take up to two weeks or so across the ocean.

BTW: How do others ship? I think I'll stick the print between two wooden sheets or so?
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good news and bad news.

I went to the local photo store to have my color negative (6x9 cm) printed. I spoke to one of the employees about a week ago and he said they didn't develop film anymore but still could print (chemically on real photopaper) up to 8x12 inch. But when I went today they told me they don't do it anymore. It is too much trouble to calibrate the machine for just one print but the could also make a nice inkjet print in even larger sizes. I thanked them friendly and went home again....

So, back to square one.

The good news: I found a wonderful professional photolab (fotovaklab Color Utrecht, in Utrecht, Holland). They develop all types and sizes of film, print color and B&W and are very friendly. So I drove 80 kilometers to bring my negative. He promished to print tomorrow and mail it right away. I hope to post my image end of the week. Shipping may take up to two weeks or so across the ocean.

BTW: How do others ship? I think I'll stick the print between two wooden sheets or so?
    My print came from Dwayne's Photo wrapped in plastic, then the plastic was taped face up, to solid piece is cardboard, then that piece was inserted into a larger box. Keeping it face out will prevent any pressure from the shipping adventure from scratching the face of the print (which makes me realize I should have NOT stuffed the empty space with bubble wrap... DOH!!!).

My print should have arrived by now, I shipped it priority mail.

The scan itself wasn't the best, I hadn't yet calibrated the betterscanning holders and the scan is SLIGHTLY out if focus, but slight and you have to get close to the treeline with your eye to tell. It's just not worth the hour or two time to pull it out and re-scan it and try and match it to the already produced scan, and then have to go through and dust spot it all...

Someday I'll go re-scan a few of the best ones now that I've perfected my scanning.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandwich the print between two pieces of card - An offcut of mount board is ideal - Then heat seal in a plastic bag.

If you don't have a heat sealer, then try to find some large ziplok bags, failing that, freezer bags. Now that winter is nearly upon us, package a print with the expectation that the envelope will get wet somewhere along the way. I may be going over the top with heat sealing, but after receiving a sodden mess last year, I prefer to be cautious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Reed for your update. Here's the latest list:

SENT:
    1 Katie (Katie)
    2 Mark (Mark_S)
    3 Marco (mesantacruz)
    4 Paul (paul_c5x4) Image
    5 Uwe (piu58)
    6 Reed (semi-ambivalent)

RECEIVED:
    1 Birger (BirgerA)
    2 Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
    3 Menno (spijker)

NEITHER SENT NOR RECEIVED:
    1 Prasanna (analoguey)
    2 Andrej (andreios)
    3 Eugene (anikin)
    4 Paul (ataim)
    5 Nicolas (Dali)
    6 Edward (Ed Bray)
    7 John (JohnRichard)
    8 Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
    9 Matt (MattKing)
    10 Bob (megzdad81)
    11 Mike (mjs)
    12 Greg (sage)
    13 Bert (TheToadMen)

SENT AND RECEIVED (DONE!!!!!):
    1 Stone (StoneNYC) Image

This week-end I finally fired up my trusty old Jobo and mixed up some RA-4 chemicals. The color calibration is getting close to what I want, so If I'm lucky, I should whip something up soon. It will be color from me this round.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My print was mailed today. Whee!!!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yay! Thank you Mike! I've added you to the "nice" list:

SENT:
    1 Katie (Katie)
    2 Mark (Mark_S)
    3 Marco (mesantacruz)
    4 Mike (mjs)
    5 Paul (paul_c5x4) Image
    6 Uwe (piu58)
    7 Reed (semi-ambivalent)

RECEIVED:
    1 Birger (BirgerA)
    2 Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
    3 Menno (spijker)

1 Prasanna (analoguey)
    2 Andrej (andreios)
    3 Eugene (anikin)
    4 Paul (ataim)
    5 Nicolas (Dali)
    6 Edward (Ed Bray)
    7 John (JohnRichard)
    8 Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
    9 Matt (MattKing)
    10 Bob (megzdad81)
    11 Greg (sage)
    12 Bert (TheToadMen)

1 Stone (StoneNYC) Image

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I posted the envelope today!! It's on its way from Holland to ........
    I added a letter explaining about the image, the camera, exposure, etc.
    I hope that the recipient likes it. All comments & feedback are welcome.
    Shipping might take one or two weeks, I guess.

Now off to sleeping in my mailbox, waiting for my image from ???????

Bert from Holland

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	envelope-anonimous.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	75671

BTW: I didn't send a Bromoil, Albumen or Salt print as I first intended since these were made with digital negatives. It had to be all analogue (film-develop-print).
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 10-18-2013 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bert for your update!

BTW: I didn't send a Bromoil, Albumen or Salt print as I first intended since these were made with digital negatives. It had to be all analogue (film-develop-print).
    Actually, there is no requirement for all analogue: digital negatives are fine, as long as the original was taken with film. A note from the FAQ:
    "Even contact prints made from the hybrid method (film-->PC-->acetate-->paper) is acceptable."

So, next time feel free to mail the Bromoil or Albumen. Actually, if you are going to an effort of making an alternative print, I would be willing to bend the rules and allow digital capture of the original. We'll just keep it secret amongst us, nobody else has to know. What do the other participants think?

Eugene.

Updated list:
    SENT:
    1 Katie (Katie)
    2 Mark (Mark_S)
    3 Marco (mesantacruz)
    4 Mike (mjs)
    5 Paul (paul_c5x4) Image
    6 Uwe (piu58)
    7 Reed (semi-ambivalent)
    8 Bert (TheToadMen)

RECEIVED:
    1 Birger (BirgerA)
    2 Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
    3 Menno (spijker)

1 Prasanna (analoguey)
    2 Andrej (andreios)
    3 Eugene (anikin)
    4 Paul (ataim)
    5 Nicolas (Dali)
    6 Edward (Ed Bray)
    7 John (JohnRichard)
    8 Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
    9 Matt (MattKing)
    10 Bob (megzdad81)
    11 Greg (sage)

1 Stone (StoneNYC) Image

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My apologies, I have not been too well for some time and I am currently recouperating after surgery and am unable to spend any time in the darkroom at the moment. I am hoping to be able to be fit enough to get in the darkroom in the next week or so and will get my print out then.

I also apologise if I have missed a print sent to me, I had a great wadge of prints from various forums when I got back from hospital and have not felt well enough since to be able to sort them out. Again, I hope to be in a position to do this very soon.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin