Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 729

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I still think that regardless of what else may come about, this exchange will remain open to all and if someone would like to ship only locally then they should say so and that will taken into consideration.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Within the U.S.A. alone we can have some interesting differences - even within the same regions. I've often had to explain these differences to foreign students at my university (and I'm not referring to skin color). Unless we are talking merely architecture and landscape - but even then, we still have some wonderful differences. Then there are the "sub-cultures."
    It's deeper than that sure there's cultural differences in North America it's just the differences are far greater in Europe and then we have the history as well. Canada is interesting because it takes the best of US culture and the best or European culture but they don't try and invent a false history.

More interesting is in general there's a greater political dimension to art photography in Europe.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's deeper than that sure there's cultural differences in North America it's just the differences are far greater in Europe and then we have the history as well. Canada is interesting because it takes the best of US culture and the best or European culture but they don't try and invent a false history.

More interesting is in general there's a greater political dimension to art photography in Europe.

Ian
    I've always envied European history in a way because the U.S. doesn't have much. While most here are of European decent, we don't know what it is like to actually have that history. Even when we can trace our roots, it's not the same as actually living in a country that rich with it.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    They used to send QSL cards, and it was a great system. As far as the US history, seems like we have way plenty of that, in my eyes. In fact, I get annoyed at always seeing it used in a"cultural" tug-of-war all the time.
    Ian, you hit it on the head. The bit about concocting a "false history", that is. Boy, did you nail it.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi everyone,
    I mentioned/suggested an European BPX asn an extra in the BPX-18 thread. Not because I think shipping outside Europe is too expensive myself, but found that others sometimes do. It seems that shipping rate in the US have rissen seriously the last few years. Or they somehow just don't feel comfortable shipping across the ocean (I see that a lot in the FS section also).
    When I first became aware of the many exchanges on these forums, I wanted to participate. But I found that some exchanges (or other events) were limited to Us-members only (CONUS). There is also a regional Australian & New Zealand exchange.
    My question had an other reason than shipping costs only. If the European members of this forum can't or won't join some exchanges (and I don't say this as a complaint, mind you) it might be a good thing to put up an extra regional exchange for people within Europe, since there are quite some good printers among the members in Europe.
    So my question was more about giving others an opportunity as well, but not at the expense of the excising exchanges. Some exchanges on this forum seem to be dead for several years, so I'm doubting if there is enough interest for an other group?
    The BPX itself was and is a worldwide event and I hope it still may be in the future. Besides that, it would be nice to participate in an other exchange, since the BPX is only one print in six months.

So, European members, do we need/want an extra exchange within Europe or are we busy enough in our daily lives that we don't have the time for an extra exchange besides the BPX? Will it raise some extra interest among non-exchanging members in Europe, or would you drop out of the worldwide BPX instead?
    I'm not sure.
    Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    A seperate exchange has been proposed which I do not oppose at all. Regardless, the only participants in THIS exchange are those who sign up for THIS exchange. I certainly see a plus to save on costly shipping to foreign countries added to the expense of printing and mounting, et al. My only con is going to strictly regional exchange is that the cultural part of the exchange may suffer from a more local participation. Talk amongst yourselves.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I still think that regardless of what else may come about, this exchange will remain open to all and if someone would like to ship only locally then they should say so and that will taken into consideration.
    I agree, but not too many people should make that restriction, since it might exclude members from outside the US in the end?
    When you join the BPX you know it's a worldwide event upfront, don't you?
    Bert from Holland

* My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was thinking of making it a 4 month show again with signup for the next in the rest month. I think we are going to do that. As to a European exchange, it would be cool if one were to be begun by someone there who could run it.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was thinking of making it a 4 month show again with signup for the next in the rest month. I think we are going to do that. As to a European exchange, it would be cool if one were to be begun by someone there who could run it.
    A small pole then: who would like to participate in a European BPX, if organized?
    Bert from Holland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be interested in participating an EBPX besides the regular one. (And perhaps if need be even in running it, if there were no senior members willing to do it).

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am interested in an EBPX too. It would be easier to send larger formats.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin