Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,053   Online: 925

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the entire impetus for having separate exchanges rooted in higher shipping costs?
    Not according to post #25, no...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth remembering that there are many regional events and also print exchanges. I've taken part in organised APUG events in the UK, there are similar events in parts of Europe, Australia etc. There's been posts regarding Australian print exchanges.

The point of the original post that Chris made in this thread was about cultural diversity, most of us in Europe wouldn't see that as an issue, and we do tend to ravel inside Europe itself so a purely European Print Exchange would nbe healthy in bringing together a like minded group of photographers with a diverse mix of cultural backgrounds.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's worth remembering that there are many regional events and also print exchanges. I've taken part in organised APUG events in the UK, there are similar events in parts of Europe, Australia etc. There's been posts regarding Australian print exchanges.

The point of the original post that Chris made in this thread was about cultural diversity, most of us in Europe wouldn't see that as an issue, and we do tend to ravel inside Europe itself so a purely European Print Exchange would nbe healthy in bringing together a like minded group of photographers with a diverse mix of cultural backgrounds.

Ian
    I think the main issue with that is that there are only so many print exchanges one can be a part of, and if there's a euro specific print exchange, then the current BPX would probably suffer from a drop in European participation. Therefore lessening the full experience of cultural diversity we get currently.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am really interested in non english speaking european countries. My only foreign language knowledge is english and I am done with reading english websites. As a German camera and lens , french painting and sculpture , hungarian architecture , austrian arts etc. lover , I always felt I am short to these cultures. I will have better time spent in investing european people , not american 5 dollars thrift store nikon users , laughers and american head shooters and nude slut pictures.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look, I don't want to generalize. I am not by any stretch hostile about a seperate exchange. On the contrary I encourage it. The main BPX will still be international. A European exchange will only serve to encourage more particpation from our membership. My original con was from the POV that I love European, and other, imagery and heritage and hope that some of it continues still in this main exchange. There, I think I can safely say, is no animosity on either side of the pond whatsoever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I will have better time spent in investing european people , not american 5 dollars thrift store nikon users , laughers and american head shooters and nude slut pictures.
    Wow...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mustafa,
    I don't know if you really meant this or if you expressed yourself poorly because of English not being your native language, but I see no reason to call anyone "5 dollars thrift store nikon users , laughers and american head shooters and nude slut pictures".
    If your interest lies more with other European countries instead of elsewhere on the planet, good for you. I can understand that. But please stay friendly to/about other users. Threat them as you wanted to be treated yourself, or even better than that.
    Thank you.
    Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I am really interested in non english speaking european countries. My only foreign language knowledge is english and I am done with reading english websites. As a German camera and lens , french painting and sculpture , hungarian architecture , austrian arts etc. lover , I always felt I am short to these cultures. I will have better time spent in investing european people , not american 5 dollars thrift store nikon users , laughers and american head shooters and nude slut pictures.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello Ken,
    If I made this impression I apologize sincerely!!
    That wasn't the meaning of my post at all. I merely wanted to say there are more differences between the US and Europe than meets the eye. In fact, that's what makes this forum (and the BPX) so interesting to me.
    I DON'T have antagonist feelings toward Americans and don't want you to "back off" what so ever! Sorry if I made that impression.
    I just wanted to say that there is a difference between Europe (not bening one country in nature) and the US as a fact, not an opinion.
    And I don't want an exchange without CONUS members, in contrary. I'm only comtemplating about an extra EBPX to attract more APUG users from Europe to all the exchanges. Especially because there aren't that much European participants right now.
    But I didn't mean for anyone to back off and I don't want an exchange without you US folks at all. I just want an extra exchange besides the one we already have and enjoy so much. And yes, I have some reservations to a EBPX because I don't want it to pull people away from the worldwide BPX.

So, please Ken, don't give up on the BPX on behalf of my ranting. I'm still enjoying your print from BPX-18.
    I apologize for the inconvenience I caused you.
    Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Well then, perhaps I am the one who is misreading.

If those in Europe (and the UK, if they don't want to be thought of as part of Europe either) hold such antagonist feelings toward Americans that they are telling us to "back off" because we enjoy interacting with them via the BPX, and that they want their own print exchange without us in it because we're somehow misleading them in some way, then maybe this whole print exchange idea is not really the friendly international exercise that I thought it was...

I think maybe it might be time for me to take a break from it all.

Ken
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have just one question: What does BPX stand for?

I assume P is for print and X is for exchange (although it should be E).

So that just leaves the B as a mystery to me!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    B equals Blind. Meaning you do not know from whom you will receive a print. And the X is just cooler.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin