Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,464   Online: 1037
      
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 61 to 66 of 66
  1. #61
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,292
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    At no stage have I said that Europeans would prefer to split away from the main BPX's completely...

    A European BPX would help bring people together a and foster new friendships etc.
    No, that's not what you said. What you said was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Europe has a deep rich, extremely varied photographic culture. APUG isn't a US based website it's led by an ex-pat US guy settled in New Zealand. If we in Europe want our way of doing things then just back off and realise we don't always want to be US led, or rather misled.
    Emphasis is mine, but the words are yours. Just keeping the facts straight.

    Kind of a funny way to "help bring people together" and "foster new friendships", don't you think?

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  2. #62
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,270
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    No, that's not what you said. What you said was...
    Emphasis is mine, but the words are yours. Just keeping the facts straight.

    Kind of a funny way to "help bring people together" and "foster new friendships", don't you think?

    Ken
    Emphasis is yours, and I have no issues saying that we don't always want to always be US led, neither would you want to have an APUG dominated by Europeans or others.

    A European BPX would bring people together (in Europe) that would be positive for APUG as a whole. Diversity is good for APUG long term, that's why I think people from outside Europe should back off and let Europeans decide for themselves if they want their own BPX.

    Ian

  3. #63
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,331
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Emphasis is yours, and I have no issues saying that we don't always want to always be US led, neither would you want to have an APUG dominated by Europeans or others.

    A European BPX would bring people together (in Europe) that would be positive for APUG as a whole. Diversity is good for APUG long term, that's why I think people from outside Europe should back off and let Europeans decide for themselves if they want their own BPX.

    Ian
    I do agree that a European only BPX would in fact bring members together in the UK.

    However, I disagree with the fact that it would become an additional, I think that if you end up making a specialized European version, that many of the European members of the current BPX would and up deciding to choose between the two, rather than participate in both, and I think that's where the issue lies, that it would end up splitting up the current membership and participation. That's all I was saying, I suppose you could give it a try and see what happens. Want to run it's Ian?

    I think I'll start a New England only BPX hehe
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #64
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,292
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Emphasis is yours, and I have no issues saying that we don't always want to always be US led, neither would you want to have an APUG dominated by Europeans or others.
    Ian...

    Look at my name. What do you see? Where do you think my family might have originated from in the first place? (Hint: My grandmother spoke fluent Russian, Bohemian, German, and broken English. My father spoke beautifully fluent German, in addition to American English.)

    Today there were four of us in the office at work. A young lady from Russia, a very nice gentleman from Bangladesh, a fellow software engineer from China, and myself from (well, you're supposed to be figuring that out on your own). All four are either native born or naturalized American citizens.

    By your writings, you don't seem to evidence much of an understanding of Americans at all. With the exception of Native Americans (who got screwed in the deal, and for which I'm truly sorry), we're ALL from someplace else. Asking someone where they are from is a staple topic here in any conversation after meeting someone new.

    So tell me again, why on earth would I have a problem with a European-centric anything?

    I'm not like you. I wouldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    A European BPX would bring people together (in Europe) that would be positive for APUG as a whole. Diversity is good for APUG long term, that's why I think people from outside Europe should back off and let Europeans decide for themselves if they want their own BPX.
    Nobody is disagreeing. We keep telling you to do just that. Have you started it yet?



    Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 12-11-2013 at 09:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Upset with being mischaracterized, so added top section...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  5. #65
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    Alright, guys. This is enough. This is NOWHERE near the spirit in which this thread was intended. It has to stop now. This is pointless. So, let's drop it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

    "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Prague, e.g. Europe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    285
    Images
    43
    Agree with Chris.. Honestly I am rather sad about the discussions here. I thought of an ebpx as of a possibikity to get more enjoyment from doing what we (supposedly) all love doing, which is photography, but this is really way off.
    Long live the (international) BPX.

    Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk
    | website | ipernity thing |

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin