Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,253   Online: 740

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In BPX20 you can shoot & send up to July, 31st. We could add August (for the holidays).
    How about that? Six months seems like a very long period to me, especially if everyone waits for the last moment.
    What do other participants think?

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry about that, didn't realize I missed my deadline until seeing this thread just now. I'll make sure to get in the darkroom tomorrow night or this weekend. Been busy, traveling as well as had one show opening last Sunday, and another opening Friday! If anyone else is in upstate New York let me know and I can give you some more information if you're interested.

Oh well, glad to see I'm not the only one who is late. What would there be to photograph if all of life was spent in the darkroom?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc2edh View Post
    Oh well, glad to see I'm not the only one who is late. What would there be to photograph if all of life was spent in the darkroom?
    Trays?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What would there be to photograph if all of life was spent in the darkroom?
    Infrared??

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Trays?

Ken
    Hahaha, however it has already been done!

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...however it has already been done!
    I'm reminded of a wonderfully sublime commercial advertisement years ago for the Seattle International Film Festival.

The ad urged everyone to buy their tickets as soon as possible to see the debut of all of the new films. Then it urged everyone to show up to the theater early. And sit in the front row. So they can see the new films before anyone else...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I received my print today from Ken Nadvornick, a beautiful print of an old storefront entitled "Mac's New and Used Store," along with a three page, mostly single spaced letter explaining how he calculated the best time for the sun position, then went back ten months later to take advantage of it, plus all the technical details. Ken really worked for this one and it shows.

I've received a print from Ken before and man, every time I feel like I hired myself a kindergartner to pack the one I just sent! The print is beautifully mounted and overmatted, shipped with another piece of mount board and cut mat for protection, with edge cards held on with binder clips to protect the corners, bagged thoroughly, wrapped in bubble wrap, ensconced in a box then filled with packing peanuts. Opening it is like an adventure in nested Russian dolls. My wife, who worked in a gallery for a while and buys a fair amount of art, remarked on the previous one, "he really knows how to pack his art" and that she wished all the artists she buys from packed so well.

I just threw my unmounted print into an empty Ilford 11x14 paper box with a short letter, taped it shut, put the whole thing in a padded mailer and sent it off regular first class. Ken shipped it with tracking and insured!

Thanks Ken!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So happy that you like it, Roger. I do tend to put a lot of effort into these BPX exchanges. This photograph has always been one of my favorites. That was a fun morning back in 2005. Hard to believe so much time has gone by since then.

As I mentioned above, this round I was forced to use past negatives instead of new ones. A family loss and this season's never-ending rain and cold prevented me from getting the LF equipment out at all. So as it happens, this photograph is already posted in my gallery as a long ago submission for the Monthly Shooting Assignment Signage.

Click here to see it.

Also included in the comments are a pair of Google Street links just for fun. They show the wider context and color of the location around the building. More jarringly modern than one might expect.

It should be noted that the gallery image is almost, but not quite, identical to your print. It's actually a scan of an earlier print made on Zone VI Brilliant graded paper using a slightly different negative from the sequence made that morning.

In my opinion the version you received, Roger, is better. But the differences are so subtle I didn't think they would show in a rescan. So I didn't bother.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-03-2014 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have mixed feelings about extending the BPX time frames, on one hand it's good if you're busy (and obviously I'm late) on the other hand I feel like it's TOO much time... And people get stagnant... And there is ALWAYS something to photograph in all seasons... And, you don't HAVE to go outside... Challenge yourself to shoot something you wouldn't normally of there's bad weather, shoot inside, I find some of my best work is from subject matter I'm not familiar with. I dunno, I like it how it is... :/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I do realize that I have the option to only participate every other round. So if the schedule is once every four months, that would lengthen it to eight months per round for me...

Anyway, I was just asking if there was any interest. The schedule was only changed from 6 to 4 months beginning with this round.

Ken

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin