Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,328   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    So lots of help, aren't I Art? haha
    Jeanette, you're such a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by dschneller
    If there may be a postal burden for some participants they could possibly indicate that before the pairings are made.
    Hi Dave, I think that's an excellent idea. I hope that people would not be 'afraid' to PM me their constraints. It's completely understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by BWKate
    I'm with David on the sending and receiving prints from faraway places. It's part of the appeal.
    Kate, Robert and David (others),

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback. I too agree with this statement.

The reason I brought this 'regionalization' business up is that Dave Miller asked a related question about a UK Only Blind Print Exchange and quickly got particapants that never particpated before. So I think he's on to something.

I see that many of you don't like the theme idea. Whew! I don't either, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jlsmackenzie
    Those are just a few of my thoughts as a newbie!
    Newbie thoughts are most welcome. Sometimes it takes a new perspective on things to set'em straight again. I hope you'll particpate in the next round.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, comments and feedback. It's most appreciated. Please keep them coming.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get more particpants from Asia. I know you guys are out there. Please tell me - PM me or e-mail me if you want to be more private about it. You can send me an e-mail in your language - just make sure you say APUG in English somewhere. I can get it translated.

There's at least 4 or 5 members in Japan. A few folks in Singapore and Malaysia have introduced themselves. I know we have more. Is it cost? Time? Clarity or understanding? Whatever it is, I'd like to know so that I can address it appropriately. Thanks in advance.

Also, there are quite a few Eastern Europeans who are members as well. South Asians and Africans. Please tell me why you are not participating. In private if you want to. I'd really like to address how we can overcome whatever barriers are preventing you from participating. Thanks.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's no reason there can't be regional print exchanges like Dave Miller's as well as big international print exchanges like this one. The more the merrier!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    There's no reason there can't be regional print exchanges like Dave Miller's as well as big international print exchanges like this one. The more the merrier!
    I totally agree. Like I said, I think he's on to something good. Exchanges are a way to develop the APUG community. Hopefully folks will 'graduate' to the larger one, one day! Heck, these are so fun, I'd personally like to do them all.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have not participated yet but I plan to do so next time.

Why not let people exchange with as many others as desired versus exchanging with just one person? Some parts of the year I might want to exchange with 10 people and other times none for example.

I don't like themes. I like the notion that people could send me what they like to print regardless of what I like. I think the freer it is the better.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want to exchange with many people, join the Group Exchange, rather than the Blind Exchange. In the Group Exchange the organizer forms groups of about 4-6 people, and you print up enough for the whole group. I suppose you could join two groups if you wanted to print ten prints. The Alt-Process Exchange works this way too, with groups of 3-4.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    If you want to exchange with many people, join the Group Exchange, rather than the Blind Exchange. In the Group Exchange the organizer forms groups of about 4-6 people, and you print up enough for the whole group. I suppose you could join two groups if you wanted to print ten prints. The Alt-Process Exchange works this way too, with groups of 3-4.
    OK. Thanks. I never new what group exchange was. Guess I could have figured it out. I think I would like doing both.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I enjoy all the print exchanges, I love sending to people I have never met. I hope they enjoy it too. I long to hear from them that they at least received the print. I anxiously await the exchange prints meant for me and am so excited when one comes. I have experienced my first disappointment in not receiving prints yet for two exchanges but still have hope they'll come. I think that everyone who enters the exchanges expects to pay postage. If the print is not matted, it's not too expensive and most that I have gotten have not been mounted or matted and that's just fine with me. I really don't like the idea of themes, after all wasn't there a monthly theme shoot that went away for lack of interest? I always flounder around for a creative idea and if I can't think of one, I don't want to play. I appreciate so much those of you who have coordinated these exchanges. A great big Thank You.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    Why not let people exchange with as many others as desired versus exchanging with just one person? Some parts of the year I might want to exchange with 10 people and other times none for example.
    There is another exchange that can take place... you can post pics into the Exchange Gallery (although that only works for subscribers I guess) and make up additional one-on-one exchanges if you want. The Group/Blind exchange work for all us too lazy to go thru the gallery method!
    Last edited by Nige; 05-31-2006 at 04:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Art, a bit beyond what you asked for but... A few years back I attended a Leica seminar on Cape Cod. A three day contest had as it's subject "RED". Next morning I found myself with two dozen others shooting a red fishing boat. Not one of the photo's in the contest were anything like anyone else's.

One of my favorite photos last year was taken at the Asbury Park get together. I would like a local exchange from an APUG meet. It's just amazing how we see a subject differently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also done a couple of private exchanges with people from apug that I commented on their photo and we got to talking and we decided to exchange photos!

I have done an exchange with this really nice chap from Iceland and was that ever cool! I highly recommend it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin