Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 857

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Asking for some suggestions on improvements

So I'd like to hear from the particpants and non-particpants on how to improve the blind print exchange. Some ideas I have received:
    • Regionalize the exchange when pairing up the particpants to reduce the postage burden. This can be done easily as the pairing up excercise just turns into a number of 'daisy chains'. I do this already actually - the daisy chain, not the regionalization. For example, I had two chains in the last round - one for those attending the APUG Conference and one for those that didn't.
    • Themes. Have a specific theme or topic for the print to be exchanged. We can accomplish the theme via a poll, perhaps.
    • Stagger the exchanges - between the group and blind exchange. This is also easy to do and I understand due to the postage burden. Nige has already started Round 7 of the Postcard Exchange. All the other exchanges appear to be finishing off at the end of May.
    • Leave it alone.
    Any other thoughts. Your input is very much appreciated.

Also, I'd like to get an idea why there are few particpants from Asia. Please tell me via PM or post a message here. I'd like to understand why and do something to see more particpants from Asia. If it means regionalizing to reduce the postage cost, please tell me. It is very easy to do in the next round.

Thanks everyone, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the unpredictablility of this print exchange. I also have no problem with mailing a print anywhere...well, anywhere within the range of UPS, FedEx, Postal Service.

Themes are tough... could be good, could be hard. Most of us shoot what we shoot (we are stuck in a rut) haha

Staggering the exchanges has pluses and minuses as well... if the exchanges are at the same time (group & blind), you can print everything up at once. It's tougher when the postcard exchange falls during the same time, cause that's a pretty large printing commitment, and an entirely different format.

I'd like to see more participation from Asia, too and also from new members! This is a great exchange, and easy to do if you are just getting into doing an exchange.

So lots of help, aren't I Art? haha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there may be a postal burden for some participants they could possibly indicate that before the pairings are made. Otherwise I have no issues with sending a print anywhere.

I would stay away from themes as I like being surprised by the different variety of styles and subjects.

Dave
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The only problem that I have with sending prints outside the country is that I have to go to the post office to do it, due to customs forms. This means that I can only send on a Saturday between 8am and noon, and if I need to do something else then, my print has to sit for another week, or two, or three. Typicaly, this is not a big problem, so I don't really worry about it, but sometimes it makes me miss the deadlines. As to costs, the postcard exchange costs me a lot more than the print exchange does, and since some people are sending %80+ of their cards overseas, I'm not going to complain about it too much.

As far as staggering the exchanges, I could go either way on it. It does take me some time to make a print for the exchange, so having time to do the work without having to print postcards, alt process prints, etc. would help, but I still could go either way.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like sending and receiving prints to and from faraway places, so I'm less inclined toward regionalization.

Themes--well maybe that can be yet another kind of print exchange. I'm okay with the randomness of the Blind Exchange.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with David on the sending and receiving prints from faraway places. It's part of the appeal. No themes please. I think alot of people have their own "themes" going on already. Just my 2cents.

Yes, it's a bit of a financial burden to send out all the postcards but......it's so much fun. I think I'll let go of bugging people that don't send their postcards.(It will be hard but I will try!) If you can't send, then don't sign up!!!!!!! I'm like you Art, I expect people to honour their committments, but on the other hand I do understand when things happen and you can't participate.

Staggering the exchanges seems like a good idea.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with David, I like receiving prints from friends in faraway places - someday, I hope to get a real, genuine Ole print, since I may never visit that part of the world.

Themes -- don't work for me, since I will be sending color prints, and themes that work in B&W may not work at all in color. Additionally, I am best at shooting those things I have a passion for; old buildings and cars, don't do anything for me.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Note to everyone,

Do not send photos of buildings or cars to Robert if you get him in an exchange!!!!!

You'll have to tell us what you do like to receive photos of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWKate
    Do not send photos of buildings or cars to Robert if you get him in an exchange!!!!!
    LOL!

I think Robert likes recieveing them (my guess), but not shooting them! Though I saw a terrific pic of buildings and boats at the APUG Conference that was taken by Robert....

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am new to Apug and all these exchanges, but would like to start participating. My thoughts are :

Regionalize, for me I wouldn't mind sending my photos anywhere. I usually find it is not to expensive, as long as people don't mind waiting. (I usually send thing via the slowest method available, therfore cheapest) The guy at my post office is alway very helpful. Plus, I think that it would be cool to receive an image from somewhere else.

Themes, I am not a big fan of this. Mostly because I love to shoot what I love to shoot. But it could as be interesting, maybe get me to shoot something other than what I love to shoot and add some diversity and creativity to my work.

Stagger the exchanges, since I have not been apart of any of these exchanges I can not speak much on this. I am always in and out of the darkroom on a regular basis. So it is never a problem for me to go in for an hour or so to print up something for the exchange.

Those are just a few of my thoughts as a newbie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin