Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,268   Online: 804

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that's a good suggestion. Perhaps Jim might be comfortable letting the reins go to someone else for a little while, just to keep the momentum going(?)
    I'd like to participate, if the exchange were to continue going again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I really like the idea behind this exchange. I would also like to join up if someone gets it going again. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I too would like to join in on this one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this would be fun and would be willing to moderate if need be (though Kevin seems to have stepped forward).

Just a note about the print exchange groups:

For each of my groups (I have been in rounds 2 & 3) we had a total of 4 people which meant I only had to submit 3 prints total.

One idea I think we might want to implement is that everyone mail their print to the moderator along with an extra self addressed and postmarked envelope. This way the moderator would shuffle the prints around to a randomly drawn system (lots of free random number generators on the net), put the prints in the different envelope, and then drop them off at the post office. This would GUARANTEE that if you submitted a print that you would receive one back. This seems to be a problem with the group exchange. This would be more work for the moderator which is why I said I would be willing to do so. Because of the cost of shipping to and from the moderator, those outside of North America might not want to join in such an endeavor.

Another option, would be to just include $1.75 with your print and I could buy a huge box of 11x14 envelopes from Sams to use for the shipping so we wouldn't have to worry about the hassle of packing an extra envelope in. 1st class shipping in the US for one of the bubble-padded 11x14 envelopes with an 8x10-11x14 print and two sheets of matboard or cardboard backing is ~$1.60 and the rest would be used to offset the envelope cost.

This is just an idea as I have been a part of a number of exchanges and there are always a few who ruin it for the rest by never sending prints whether out of extenuating circumstances or not, it's always a let-down.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been reading these threads with interest and I'd like to join this one too. Heck, if I'm going in the dark again, I'm going all the way baby!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    ... Because of the cost of shipping to and from the moderator, those outside of North America might not want to join in such an endeavor.
    Cost of shipping notwithstanding, I'm in. As always.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think part of the allure of this type of exchange is its simplicity and not having to deal with mailing to a moderator etc (at least for me, having been the moderator for a group exchange on another forum). Maybe it just needs to be structured so that people should only sign up when they actually have a print to send out, that way people won't send one and not get one back. Example: post a notice at the beginning of January, ok people blind exchange happening, have your print ready by the third week. Beginning of the third week, anyone with a print ready posts, saying I'm ready and in, then the mod can jumble the names and PM the info, and please have everything mailed by the end of the month...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah... I gotta say that risk of getting 'stiffed' by someone not sending in their print not withstanding, I can't think of a mail-through-moderator scheme that doesn't suck a lot of the joy of simplicity out of this particular blind exchange.

An alternative to defining pairs did occur to me, however. Once the list of participants is defined, and everyone commits to making one /something/ (drug store print, contact sheet, contact print, proof, custom print) and sending it somewhere (possibly another country), then the moderator would randomize the list of people and send each of them a PM with the name/address of the NEXT person on the random list, with the last person on the list getting the name of the first person on the list. That way, no one except the moderator would know from whom they should receive a print -- only to whom they should send their print. Once the sending month + a week has passed, anyone who hasn't received a print will notify the moderator who will exempt those who committed to send a print but didn't from the next round or two of the blind exchange, during which time they would hopefully resolve any issues that prevented them from getting their prints out.

If I end up being moderator for this, I might cook up a few extra postcards from each round of the postcard exchange to send them to anyone who got stiffed in the blind exchange so at least those who didn't get a print would get *something*.

thoughts?

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem, it was just a thought to keep people from getting stiffed. If that's too much trouble, I'll volunteer to send to an extra print or two if someone doesn't receive one--Kevin you just let me know and I'll provide some extras.

I'm in, also.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I have not replied to this thread before now, but I encourage anyone who wants to collect and send out names go for it. I simply asked for people to submit addresses by PM and then tried to pair everyone up to a diferent partner, keeping in mind the costs of sending overseas.

Originally there was no obligation too participate every time. I would Email or Pm participants each time to find out if they were in that time around. Once I knew who wanted to exchange I would send each particpant a mailing address. When someone new wanted to join I would ask permission to send out his address.

In looking back it would be easier to just to post a list of names and addresses on a secure page on APUG and then just let everyone know who there exhange partner was every time. Sean offered to set up a page for me, but that was about the time personal matters started taking up all my time.

You really need to provide an option for people to skip exchanges. It makes it user friendly for everone. When two new people join you start them off together. If you have an odd number someone will always volunteer to send two prints to not leave anyone out.

For our European friends one way to keep shipping costs down is to encourage other European APUGers to join. The more participants on your side of the pond the fewer times in a year you would need to send overseas.

Maybe others have some ideas to help defray costs for members in South America, Africa, Asia/Far East.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin