Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,363   Online: 1122

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just mailed my print. I hope I'm not too late. The extra-long schedule of BPX wakes a procrastinator in me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, you aren't too late. Thanks for the update! We can mail them this month and I agree the time is almost too long but this is my first time trying to run it.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    My print is in the mail!
    Your print arrived in my mail!

A fleeting moment of intensity caught with an unexpectedly substantial piece of equipment. An RB67 on a monopod is not exactly the first choice for blending discreetly into the background. Especially when a slightly wide angle 90mm lens is mounted. Yet you used both to excellent effect!

Your subject gives no hint whatsoever that he even senses your presence. His piercing glare is perfectly caught and sharp, made more significant by the slow shutter speed blurring of the figures in motion behind him. The look is of someone not to be messed with, at least at that particular moment. Yet he could not have been unaware of what you were doing just a few feet away. Well done.

I like this photograph a lot. So did my wife. Would you have any objection if I wanted to mount it for display? I have a growing set of work from earlier BPEs and this one needs to join the others.

Thanks Mark!

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-07-2011 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I must get my act together and get into my darkroom. My negative is selected and is sitting there waiting for my attention. But time has been very tight. I'm working two different software dev jobs right now while also attending a separate nine-month certification course, so any free time is at a premium and I'm running a bit late Harry. I will get it done, though...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the glowing report Ken! Yes you are very welcome to display it.

One thing that I have found about photographing socially is that "hiding" isn't the magic. It is about breaking the ice and then getting in where you need to be for the shot you want.

This train is a tourist attraction, the ice was broken for the employees the very first day they worked at the train. The tourists with cameras though haven't broken their own ice, probably 15-20 of them were 10-40 feet back and shooting wide; the tourists are generally afraid to approach and enamored more by the whole experience than the details.

Shooting weddings is similar; break the ice early and get to the point where everybody ignores you so yo can do what you need to do.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just need to get off my own butt and mail mine. Hopefully the paper size won't mean a silly postage cost...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Got Eugene Anikin's "No Fishing".

Fun IR shot with about a zillion shades of white.

The combination of snow on the mountains, clouds, and IR turning the green stuff white makes for one very wintry impression.

great work Eugene.

thanks,

Mark
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry for being late on acknowledging the reception of a print. I've got a nice iceberg view, and realize I've just lost the name of the sender (which were only on the mailer...).

Anyway, thanks for this ! I like the way you captured the sea's movement, and also the rocks in the foreground which "echo" the berg.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Mark for your kind words. I'm glad you like the image. I was really worried you might have a
    hard time pulling that print from the postal tube, unfortunately that was my only option at the post office
    to mail the print of this size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Sorry for being late on acknowledging the reception of a print. I've got a nice iceberg view, and realize I've just lost the name of the sender (which were only on the mailer...).

Anyway, thanks for this ! I like the way you captured the sea's movement, and also the rocks in the foreground which "echo" the berg.
    I’m glad you got it. I thought that I had put a note with some information on it. The photo was taken in Twillingate, Newfoundland during the tail end of hurricane Irene.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin