Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,059   Online: 902

Page 58 of 115 FirstFirst ... 8485253545556575859606162636468108 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Manual transmission. Sounds like the syncros are going. Should be OK once I'm in fifth.

Thanks for the thoughts.

tim
    Have you checked the fluid level? I had that problem with my CJ7 years ago, turns out it was low on oil(30w not gear lube!) I replaced all my trans and dif. fluids with Royal Purple on my last Wrangler, best decision I ever made.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Have you checked the fluid level? I had that problem with my CJ7 years ago, turns out it was low on oil(30w not gear lube!) I replaced all my trans and dif. fluids with Royal Purple on my last Wrangler, best decision I ever made.
    Yes. Check that first. Beats knowing for sure it needs a rebuild because you didn't.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When you get home, put some Redline MTL in there and adjust your clutch. The Redline MTL will make the transmission shift a lot better, even if it has synchro issues. I've put it into Volvo transmissions that have over 200,000 miles and have been amazed at how smoothly the shifting action is once I do that. One transmission went from feeling like I was moving a stick through cement to feeling like I was using a hot knife to cut through butter. Anyway, been dealing with the same thing with my father's Volvo wagon, which I'm driving while mine is down for a head swap. Adjustment nut for the clutch cable seems to be a bit stripped, so it can engage at the top and sometimes at the bottom of the pedal travel.

The other thing you can do, if it gets to the point where it won't engage 1st when running, is to shut the truck off, engage 1st, then start it in gear. If it also becomes hard to upshift while driving, let off the gas, pull the shifter out of gear, then hold the shifter against the next gear's position. When the engine drops low enough in rpm, it'll pop right into gear. Essentially, drive it like a big rig, just without accelerating so slowly up to speed. This also works if you happen to injure your left leg/foot and can't comfortably operate the clutch. A couple months ago, my left knee was being very tempermental (I have gout). Was fun to try to get in and out of the car. I essentially only used the clutch to get going or to engage reverse.

Another tip, if you find that a manual transmission vehicle is hard to get into reverse, engage 1st, roll forward a few inches, then try again. Should avoid crunching into reverse by doing that.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand. Good to see that the cameras are on their way again.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then too, you could stuff the gear box full of chicken fat...
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Then too, you could stuff the gear box full of chicken fat...
    Oh boy, that can be taken more ways than one...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the advice. I put MTL in it a year or so ago. That's what is confusing. I only hope the rear seal or something isn't gone. Of course, being the Renaissance man that I am, I could just pull the tranny and rebuild it. But what a PITB.

Made it home. Just sticky going into 1st and second.

Pictures when I have them developed.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tim,

Cable clutch or hydraulic? That does sound like a clutch adjustment issue.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Tim,

Cable clutch or hydraulic? That does sound like a clutch adjustment issue.

-J

Hydraulic.

Might be but doesn't feel like it. I'll check it out tomorrow. Gots to do the engine oil anyway.

tim (the mechanic) in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mmm, I love getting Leicas in the mail...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Mmm, I love getting Leicas in the mail...
    Sweeeeeeet!!

PM sent to Nicholai to remind him that we are all still playing this silly game of ours.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin