Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,776   Online: 912

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could ggriffi or someone whose already had the camera post a link to a product description of the camera itself? I'd like to start thinking about what my shot will be, and want to see just what the limitations of this thing are. (flash? fixed or auto exposure? longest shutter speed? ISO? underwaterable?)

Thanks,
    -KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=kwmullet]Could ggriffi or someone whose already had the camera post a link to a product description of the camera itself? I'd like to start thinking about what my shot will be, and want to see just what the limitations of this thing are. (flash? fixed or auto exposure? longest shutter speed? ISO? underwaterable?)

I just received the camera today, so I can answer all your questions. It is a Kodak black and white disposable camera with built in flash that has a range of 2.5 to 12 feet. It has an Ektanar lens (I'm impressed!). It's all plastic so probably won't break too easily and oh yes it does have a shutter release button, which is the only control on this beast. No need to worry about f/stops, shutter speeds, focus, or much of anything else. I don't think that it can be used underwater as it says on the bottom: 'protect from heat, x-rays, and water.' It is a really basic point and shoot. Now I have to figure out how to imortalize myself.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Walter Lyon
    I really don't understand why we would want to put them anywhere else.
    I interpret the discusssions as being how do people get hard copies into their possession as opposed to how do we view them (I agree, in a gallery here). Organising and sending off multiple CD's or prints could be both a logistic nightmare and costly, and transferring small amounts of money across the world is not economical or even feasable in some cases.

So... I propose Nicole gets them processed and scanned at the same time (depending on quality... my experience with these cheap "CD at time of processing" wasn't good, but things may have changed. The resolution must be good enough to print a 6x4 at least). If she has film scanning abilities, just get the film 'processed only' (which is usually a couple of bucks) then she can scan them herself (the cheap but time consuming option). Then, someone (and I'll volunteer here) can host the printable files for everyone else to download whichever ones they want (assuming everyones fine with that, or individual files could be emailed to the picture-taker) and they send it to their photo-printer of choice. They can all be resized suitable for the screen and sent to Sean to place in a gallery (probably not fair on anyone to have to upload using their own quotas). How's that for a plan! Thoughts? Alternatively, if we deem it neccessary to keep this analogue, she could get the prints done at time of processing, and send your print back to you as a postcard ($1.10 AUD a card + processing costs though)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not really interested in hard copies, web postings are fine with me.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Managed to miss out on this (baggsies a place on the next round!) but I notice the camera is going seriously intercontinental. Is it not going to get blasted with high intensity X-rays on several occasions?

Anyone know a way around that? Would putting it in an x-ray blocking envelope work or will they then open it to see what it is and then blast it anyway once it's out of the bag (or even open it up!)?

Bob (really NOT trying to be a pain...).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am relieved to see that the camera made it safely on the first leg of the trip!!! Seriously though, the option that I think makes most sense is to let Nicole process the film as she sees fit. Whether that is process only, process with cd, however she sees fit. And since we have been given the oppurtunity to post them here I think that is best as well. If only because of the number of people who saw this thread to late to get in and have shown interest in what is going own so much so that there is talk of already starting another one. Lastly, something new about the prints perhaps when the images are posted perhaps we could figure a way to do a print exchange with each other, with the caveat the we ALL get a copy of our own print as well. Perhaps near the end I will set up a poll with the options that have been mentioned and we all vote on it.

As always just my opinions as I want what the group wants.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Managed to miss out on this (baggsies a place on the next round!) but I notice the camera is going seriously intercontinental. Is it not going to get blasted with high intensity X-rays on several occasions?

Anyone know a way around that? Would putting it in an x-ray blocking envelope work or will they then open it to see what it is and then blast it anyway once it's out of the bag (or even open it up!)?

Bob (really NOT trying to be a pain...).
    Bob, airport security usually say that films faster than 800 will get damaged. Anything slower should be okay, although personally I insist that they not scan my film (usually 100, 200, or 400). I am guessing the little beast will not have anything faster than 800.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay
    Bob, airport security usually say that films faster than 800 will get damaged. Anything slower should be okay, although personally I insist that they not scan my film (usually 100, 200, or 400). I am guessing the little beast will not have anything faster than 800.
    That's for checked and hand luggage - I believe freight gets zapped with much higher intensity rays. I may be wrong as I have no 1st hand experience but I have read threads on other forums to that effect.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.

If you put the camera in a x-ray blocking bag, they'll simply crank up the xray machine power until they can see through the bag

With the speed film contained in disposable cameras, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    I interpret the discusssions as being how do people get hard copies into their possession as opposed to how do we view them (I agree, in a gallery here). Organising and sending off multiple CD's or prints could be both a logistic nightmare and costly, and transferring small amounts of money across the world is not economical or even feasable in some cases.

So... I propose Nicole gets them processed and scanned at the same time (depending on quality... my experience with these cheap "CD at time of processing" wasn't good, but things may have changed. The resolution must be good enough to print a 6x4 at least). If she has film scanning abilities, just get the film 'processed only' (which is usually a couple of bucks) then she can scan them herself (the cheap but time consuming option). Then, someone (and I'll volunteer here) can host the printable files for everyone else to download whichever ones they want (assuming everyones fine with that, or individual files could be emailed to the picture-taker) and they send it to their photo-printer of choice. They can all be resized suitable for the screen and sent to Sean to place in a gallery (probably not fair on anyone to have to upload using their own quotas). How's that for a plan! Thoughts? Alternatively, if we deem it neccessary to keep this analogue, she could get the prints done at time of processing, and send your print back to you as a postcard ($1.10 AUD a card + processing costs though)
    That is very generous of you, Nige! Sounds like at least one option to consider!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin