Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,851   Online: 1064

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    [...]
    With the speed film contained in disposable cameras, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Graham.
    I'd guess that although the amount of radiation hitting the film on ONE pass through (freight customs?) might not be enough to fog it, it looks like lil camera will be passing international borders five times, so unless the radiation load for a package is much less than 20% of what it takes to fog it, I'll guess that some fogging will occur.

Now, maybe that's not such a bad thing. In the postcard exchange, the scars of the rough and tumble journey through the postal system are part of the appeal of the postcards. Few postcard exchange participants expect, and most don't want, pristine cards.

Hey -- maybe some of us can make little aluminum foil snowflakes and pack them with the camera so the pictures can get little designs projected onto them.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This link gives information about transporting film. But I don't know if it applies to freight transport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay
    This link gives information about transporting film. But I don't know if it applies to freight transport.
    The first line is a bit ominous: "WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film." This is why you should always take film in your hand luggage. I would expect at least the same level of X-ray intensity on international mail. I suspect that the actual treatment handed out to mailed items will depend on the regulations in force in that particular country...

One option may be to send via an international carrier such as FedEx. Hopefullt, they will give packages a standard treatment around the globe. From their site: "Edible Materials or Undeveloped Film: When shipping these commodities, you must prominently and legibly mark the package to identify the contents. Special identification labels are available from FedEx". This suggests film will be given special treatment.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, FedEx is a good idea. I will be shipping the camera to Canada: when I get it in my hands I'll inquire with FedEx about their policy/handling of unprocessed film. Others who will be sending the camera across international borders can try this too.

Regards,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who has the camera now? Jeannette? Diane?

Would appreciate if the person with the camera can post an update. Seems like I'll have to wait for a loooooong time till I get it in my hands....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bob, FedEx is a good idea. I will be shipping the camera to Canada: when I get it in my hands I'll inquire with FedEx about their policy/handling of unprocessed film. Others who will be sending the camera across international borders can try this too.

Regards,
    Sanjay
    I regulary send unprocessed film via the USPS or FedEx to the mainland for processing, as well as ordering my film from a mainland company - since I really don't have any other choice. I have never seen any issues associated with USPS, FedEx or UPS.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Count me in for the 2nd or 3rd round, whatever we're up to by now.

Seems impossible that I missed this thread as much time as I've been spending cruising the APUG site instead of working ...

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who has the camera now? Jeannette? Diane?

Would appreciate if the person with the camera can post an update. Seems like I'll have to wait for a loooooong time till I get it in my hands....
    I've got it! It's packaged & out the door tomorrow morning headed for Diane!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still a looooooooooong way to go yet!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Err. Where is the camera now - geographically spoken ?

M.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin