Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,906   Online: 1175

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Now wait a minute! I'm next in line and being in NYC I don't have many chickens running about to shoot. So I was thinking about homing in on a pigeon.
    All in for a vote... Are Pagan Squab recipes OK?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry about that George. I was just Carrier on with the pigeon jokes.

And my jokes are just as extinct.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Sorry about that George. I was just Carrier on with the pigeon jokes.

And my jokes are just as extinct.

tim in san jose
    Aaaaak! He ruined my yolk! He ruined my pigeon yolk!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alright, here's my pagan chicken recipe. Be advised that this is both from memory and was never really written down, so spice measurements are inexact. I apologize for this. When I shake in the spices, I shake in a healthy amount, 2-3 Tbsp probably. I usually go until it looks the color that a curry often is, that brownish-yellow. If you're going to overdo any of the spices, overdo the garam masala first, curry second, cumin third.

However, I must state that this is probably my best recipe. My ex used to rave about it and she was a great cook who thought I was all thumbs in the kitchen. People at her work would comment on how good it smelled and ask her for the recipe. When I bring in leftovers to work, I usually get comments about how good it is as well - it won a homemade-curry shootout at lunch one day.

Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
    1 oven stuffer (5 lbs ish?)
    4 medium tomatoes
    1 large onion
    shit ton of garlic
    peppers, if you so desire
    2 Tbsp ground cumin
    2 Tbsp curry powder
    2 Tbsp garam masala
    2 tsp tumeric powder
    1 tsp coriander seeds - I just shake a fair bit in
    10 or so cloves
    1 stick of cinnamon
    Oil - I use extra virgin olive oil

optional:
    1 can of tomato paste
    flour

1. Boil chicken whole in large stock pot. Boil it good. Boil it until the meat is falling off of the bone. At this point, remove chicken from pot, remove skin from chicken, and remove meat from chicken. Throw carcass away. Save 12-16oz of chicken water for later, store rest in freezer for later use.

If you don't feel like doing all this, buy your choice of meat (lamb, chicken, beef) and have a can of chicken stock ready. A pound or so of meat is about the right amount. A pound and a half is alright, two pounds might be pushing it. I don't really know. You can and should brown the meat before hand.

2. Clean out stock pot if it's dirty. Put on stove and put some oil in the bottom. Heat it. Put in chopped onion and a bit of chopped/crushed garlic (3-5 cloves?). Add in crushed cinnamon and cloves. Stir. Cook until onion starts to get soft.

3. Add in 4 chopped tomatoes. Cook a bit longer. The goal is ultimately for these babies to basically disintegrate. But this happens a later in the game.

4. Once the tomato/onion mixture is doing alright and it's cooked down enough for some liquid to appear, throw in meat, rest of garlic, cumin, curry powder, garam masala, and tumeric.

Add in some of the chicken broth too and tomato paste if you want. You all know what the consistency of curry should be like, so if you want it a little runnier, add a bit more in, if you want it thicker, add in less. You can always add this near the end if it's too thick. If it's too thin, add in some flour (Tbsp at a time - usually 2-3 is enough).

That being said, I usually put in the equivalent of a can of broth in when I add in the spices. I throw in a can of tomato paste too if I have it around. The last time I made this curry, I didn't use any chicken broth, just the tomato paste, and it still turned out pretty good. It's a forgiving recipe.

How long does one cook it? Here's the deal. I use a ton of garlic. I like garlic. I usually put in probably around 20-30 cloves of it. I chop up about 10, put some of that in the beginning, and the rest with the tomatoes. I then put in 10-15 whole cloves of garlic when the meat and spices go in. The curry is done when the whole cloves of garlic are soft enough to easily smush up against the side of the pot with a spoon.

If you don't like this much garlic and don't want whole cloves in there, then cook until the curry has a nice consistency and the meat is done. Tomatoes and onions should be cooked down so much that they are basically nonexistent.

You can always add in some plain yogurt and/or potatoes too. I've made it with tempeh as well instead of meat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OMG!

I could never come up with a recipe to match that - but I do have an idea for the dessert course.

"Obtain one bottle of Pepto Bismol, one box of Alka-Seltzer. Ingest entire contents of both while having a companion call your local hospital to instruct them to ready the stomach pump."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey, its not that hot... the chili recipe that I make IS hot.

It's actually very similar (different meat), minus the curry, cinnamon, clove, coriander, and tumeric. AND a ton of peppers. I usually do about 6 habaneros, 5-6 chilis, and a 3-4 big milder ones, like poblanos.

The curry is better though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We be trying it, probably after the holidays, Mr. Gray.

Take the curry and the tumeric out, put all the rest of those spices in the chile and you have Cincinnati Chile. Of course, those east coasters don't eat their Chile that hot, excepting one or two of you.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I don't have confirmation the next day that I ate chili, I didn't eat chili.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    If I don't have confirmation the next day that I ate chili, I didn't eat chili.
    More information than we needed to know Mr. Gray. Those of us who eat on the thermal edge already know, the rest need not.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, I figured

The thermal edge. Nice.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin