Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,431   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

World Pinhole Photo Day Print Exchange - FAQs and Sign Up Thread

Here's how it works ....

The basic process is:
    1. Sign up by posting a message in this thread that you are interested in participating. The sign up period will end on April 30, 2007.

2. On World Pinhole Photography Day - Sunday, April 29, 2007, take your pinhole camera and take several images. Choose one image to use for this print exchange.

3. Sometime between May 1 and 4, I will organize everyone into groups of 4 or 5 participants depending on how many people sign up. I will post the groups in another thread called "WPPD Print Exchange Groups and Status".

4. Send a Private Message (PM) to all the other members of your group your real name and postal address.

5. Make enough prints to send to only the other members of your group. This should be no more than 3 to 4 prints.

6. Mail your prints to the other members of your group. Post a message that you have sent your print in the "WPPD Print Exchange Groups and Status" thread. The deadline to make and mail your print will be June 30, 2007.

7. Enjoy the prints you receive, post a message thanking the other member for sending a print, provide feedback if you wish.

Only Two Basic Rules:
    1. You MUST use a real pinhole camera for this exchange (digital manipulations/plug-ins are not acceptable whatsoever)
    2. You MUST take the image on World Pinhole Photography Day - April 29, 2007
    Some Guidelines:
    - Make the best print you can with the best materials you can afford. It does not have to be museum quality, but there shouldn't be spilled coffee on it too!
    - Although you don't need to mount/mat your print, a lot of people do. It's up to you. I highly recommend it.
    - A decent 8x10 is the most common size, but really any size is acceptable - make an effort. A 'leftover' 4x6 from the photolab is not a good thing to send to others.
    - Write something about your print and include it.
    - Include basic information about the print:
    • Make and Model of Pinhole Camera
    • Exposure Settings
    • Materials used to make print
    • Process used to make print
    What Kinds of Prints Are Acceptable?
    - Hybrid prints are acceptable so long as the image was captured on FILM
    - Prints made from a photolab are acceptable, so long as they are not left over family pics, etc...
    - Prints made from LightJets or Lambdas are acceptable
    - Prints made from alternative/historical processes like platinum/palladium, Polaroid Transfer, etc... are acceptable

What about packaging?
    Here are some known methods that people have been sending their prints:
    1. Flat, sandwiched in between two stiff cardboards, in a flat cardboard mailer or a soft bubble wrap mailer <--very good for unmounted prints, OK for mounted prints
    2. Flat, loose with popcorn, bubble wrap, newspaper or other soft material in a cardboard box mailer <--good for mounted prints
    3. Rolled in a cardboard tube <--very not good for mounted prints
    4. Hand delivered <--now that's dedication!
    Postage?
    People should send their prints using the good old postal system of your country. No need to send it by courier or anything fancy like that. Note that this exchange will be international in nature, so expect to send prints internationally.

When sending prints internationally, do NOT declare the photograph more than $10.00 USD or equivalent for customs/duty purposes.

Communications
    It is important that participants post a message that they have sent/received their prints. It is also important for anyone that cannot honour their commitment to PM the organizer and the rest their group.

World Pinhole Photography Day?
    For more information on this day please go to http://www.pinholeday.org/ or contact Tom Miller, who is one of the coordinators of the day, here on APUG.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. I hope we can get a lot of people participating in this print exchange.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by Ole; 02-25-2007 at 12:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in.

-Anupam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sign me up for this, too, please.

K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sign me up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only Two Basic Rules:

1. You MUST use a real pinhole camera for this exchange (digital manipulations/plug-ins are not acceptable whatsoever)
    2. You MUST take the image on World Pinhole Photography Day - April 30, 2007

Hmmm ... what about a 35mm Nikon with a pinhole in the body cap? Is that acceptable? It is definitely not a digital manipulation/plug-in.

30 April is on a Sunday. I have to work. Many of the workshops are on 28 or 29 April. Can I shot the photograph of the 28th or 29th?

Informed Readers want to know.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please sign me up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    Only Two Basic Rules:

2. You MUST take the image on World Pinhole Photography Day - April 30, 2007

Hmmm ... what about a 35mm Nikon with a pinhole in the body cap? Is that acceptable? It is definitely not a digital manipulation/plug-in.

30 April is on a Sunday. I have to work. Many of the workshops are on 28 or 29 April. Can I shot the photograph of the 28th or 29th?

Informed Readers want to know.

Steve

Correction 30 April is on Monday. **************** You meant Sunday?

I am in.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oops!

1. OK World Pinhole Photography Day is on Sunday, April 29, 2007. Sean and/or one of the moderators will correct my error.

2. Yes you can use a pinhole cap on a film camera.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What the hey -- sign me up!

If lucky, I will have a pinhole body cap working on my SQ-A. If unlucky, I will use my previous 4x5 rig -- I would go contact print or hybrid for that as I currently have no operational 4x5 enlarger. Although April 29 is a ways off and I do have this old cold-light/Graflarger back I may be able to kludge on to the B&J ..... hmmm .... oh no -- another project! ....

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sign me up. I'll be using by 6x17 pinhole camera.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin