Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,655   Online: 719

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

swing lens and moving subjects

I have been thinking hard about getting an affordable panoramic camera. Looks like my only practical option is the Horizon S3.

My main concern is that I shoot a lot of seascapes which means there would be lots of movement in my subject. Consider a 1-second exposure for example, how would a moving wave look like throughout the frame of a swing lens? Will it look wonky like some kind of ghosting/overlapping artifact? Come to think of it, part of the long wave is farther away when the lens started swinging and part of the wave is much closer after the swing has completed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately I can't answer your question except that I advise you to rent one (try out) and see for yourself maybe the effect you'll get is so unique that you can use it to create your own style or to creat special pictures.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Horizon, but have not done what you are describing. However, I have to ask, why are you anticipating 1 second exposures?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Things might get shorter/longer if they move against/along the direction of the lens, but otherwise I would expect just normal motion blur. I did some 1 sec night pictures, and got some long car lights, etc... no magic there. You may want to see some Jiri Toman's work, like http://www.paladix.cz/clanky/jiri-to...efa-sudka.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In my opinion , its hard to know the answer without experience. Horizons are not cheap and have not ultra quality lens. When it comes to low quality lens and blur , your images will not be satisfying.
    But it depends how much you will be close to moving waves also , if you will take sunset pictures , it is not important but if you will study wave shapes on extreme sharp sand , these cameras are not capable.
    I dont know but zeiss folder to 6x9 format will satisfy your creation process with same money and lightweight , pocket camera without any blur.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Zeiss 6 x 9 is not a panorama camera in any way and the Zeiss Ikon Ikonta Tessars aren't the best Tessars. BTW Willy Ronis used a Horizon modified for close up work and created excellent work.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want to buy a Horizon , dont buy the latest one. They changed the lens and everyone is agree with the poor quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my opinion, Horizon is a fine camera. It is different in principle, it has its limits and so it takes time to get used to it. It is a wide angle, infinity focused swing lens camera. Not every composition makes sense with it. I usually stop down a lot to get more DOF. Whether it's fit for your purpose, who knows.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I have a Horizon, but have not done what you are describing. However, I have to ask, why are you anticipating 1 second exposures?

Actually I'm also looking at the new Holga panoramic cameras available in 120 and 135 but the fixed aperture and shutter speed tells me I could only shoot when it is very bright which is exactly the opposite of the kind of light I want if I want pleasing shots.

What I like about the S3 pro is the 1s shutter speed. At f11 and ISO 100 film, this exposure is perfect right after the sun is down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If you want to buy a Horizon , dont buy the latest one. They changed the lens and everyone is agree with the poor quality.
    I have an old HorizinT (with T at the end, total metal, no plastics). It does not have the long times - the lens swings only with one velocity, which gives 1/30 ... 1/250.
    But the lens of this old camera is quite good.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin