Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,756   Posts: 1,516,005   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

hasselblad xpan 45mm vignetting

I've been reading some reviews of the Xpan(I don't know that I'll ever be able to afford one but...)and saw something concerning vignetting on the film in panoramic mode using the 45mm lens.Does this always happen?Also for anyone that uses this camera,can a 6x7 enlarger handle the printing of one of the panoramic negatives without falloff at the edges,thanks for any replies and forgive my ignorance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure on an enlarger since I don't print stuff, but there's a bit of vignetting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6697928461_8dd497d738.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	47045

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6544846097_ced2ce640f.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	47046

Shooter
    35mm
    The special xpan filter takes care of this problem very nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed, I never shoot without it and obviously with the 30mm it is pretty much mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    The special xpan filter takes care of this problem very nicely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the vignetting on the 45mm. On the 30mm I definitely use the filter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think the 45mm vignettes that bad. Not even on slide film. My Zeiss 21/4.5 vignettes more.

You should be find on an 6x7 enlarger since the Xpan negs are 65mm wide.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I don't think the 45mm vignettes that bad. Not even on slide film. My Zeiss 21/4.5 vignettes more.

You should be find on an 6x7 enlarger since the Xpan negs are 65mm wide.
    This is certainly my experience. Honestly, I've never noticed any vignetting, and I've shot slide film with it, also.

I can also say these lenses are incredibly sharp. As for neg carriers, I've taken regular (metal) 35mm carriers, measured out the dimensions of the XPan neg, and used a plasma torch to cut out the new size precisely...it was then a simple matter of filing it smooth and using metal sandpaper to make it extra smooth.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can either make a neg carrier like Colin did or have SK Grimes make you one out of a spare 35 for around $75. I bought my xpan carrier for my Beseler 45 new years ago before the prices went up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't use an xpan, but 45mm on panorama mode is the equal of a pretty wide angle lens and with all very wide angle lenses you are going to get some vignetting -- it is the physics of the beast, light falls off the farther it has to travel (something about inverse proportion to the square of the distance, or something like that) and when you think about how far off to the side the center of the lens a wide angle lens has to throw the light, it gets dimmer out there, hence special filters to make the center darker so it all evens out.

Early super-wide lenses for Leica and Contax had the same problem. The current 21mm lenses for M Leicas still do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Araakii View Post
    Not sure on an enlarger since I don't print stuff, but there's a bit of vignetting

Mexico? Sure reminds me of the pyramids outside Mexico City. I can't remember the exact names, but the Pyramid of the Sun, Moon, etc... And the museum showing the obsidian knives used for sacrificial offerings(human offerings )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin