Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,529   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

RB67 Rotating Panoramic Camera?

So, I happened across one of those Lomo 360 spinner cameras. And so, I'm thinking, if you take an RB67, put a slit in the dark slide and put a gear on the take up spool, would you have a good chance at making a 360 degree spinning medium format panoramic camera, likely with good image quality and under $500? I'm thinking the hardest part is going to be breaking the back so the take up spool rotates freely, but it can't be that hard. The rest is pretty easy, two plates under the camera that it mounts to, one rod comming up the side of the RB67 which rotates the top of the take up spindle. Then just add a motor and some rotation.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    6+ lbs rotating quickly? Sounds like fun

Sent using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    dosen't need to be quickly if you make the slit small enough / stop down the lens
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only one way to find out!....

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djhopscotch View Post
    6+ lbs rotating quickly? Sounds like fun

Sent using Tapatalk
    Rotation speed and slit size would take the place of shutter speed in this case, meaning it is variable. I would think you would simply need to either counter balance the camera or change the mount to the cameras center of gravity. However, a counter balance is likely better as the distance from the rotation point to the end of the camera lens would determine the length of the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now I want to see this.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're basically just gonna make this like a Slit camera, right?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to have a better image than what a spinner can give you, take a look at this:

http://horizonperfekt.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Several years ago I met someone who attended one of the IAPP conventions. He said a guy there had an RB67 modded to shoot pans, just what you are thinking of. But I don't have any details at all, and I've never searched online so see if there is any posted information.

You might find this blog interesting: http://somakray.blogspot.com/2011/03...-camera-i.html
    The late Jim Lipari converted quite a few different 35mm cameras to rotating pan camera. You might search for information on his work for ideas.

To me, the best part of using an RB67 for a conversion is lots and lots of cheap used equipment to experiment with.

Len

Shooter
    35mm
    Instead of an RB you can use a cheap 6x6 body and use a 50mm normal lens from any 35mm camera. Which will cover the narrow
    Part of the film that'll be exposed thru the slit. See the example of jean faro's camera in my blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin