Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,314   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

I wanna start panoramic photography.

Hello,
    I have been thinking for the last two years about going film cameras. I Do landscape mainly, and I have been using DSLR cameras ( Canon). I have always wanted to do panoramic photography with a camera like Linhof or fuji, and I have been saving the money in the last two years and I will be able to get a camera within one year.
    I have always asked myself, Is it really worth what I am doing? I answered yes, since this is the thing I wanna do and I want to turn it in business.
    Anyway, since I have this plan in my mind, I want to familiarize myself with film photography. But I have zero knowledge about this area. So
    1-is there any source where I can learn more about film photography ?
    2- What is the range of shutter speed on those panoramic cameras like linhof technorama 617s iii?, and does it depend on the body or the lens?.
    3- How can I control the shutter speed, and aperture? Is the controlling done through the lens itself?
    4- When I develop a color film, can I scan the negative to my computer and get the picture and print it?,
    5-what is a type of good scanner and how much does it cost?
    6- I know when I buy a body like linhof or fuji I need basically a lens, center filter, and a case. What else?
    7- Whats a light meter, How can I use it, and Is it essential in this type of photography?.

Thank You
    Mazen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered a swing lens camera such as Widelux or Noblex?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Mazen.

The best way to learn would be to find someone near you with a Panoramic camera who can show you a camera in use - so it would help to say where you're located. I use a Gaoersi 6x17 camera with a 75mm lens and it's great format. You control the exposure with the shutter and aperture of the lens itself, you need a separate light meter.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-05-2012 at 04:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...is the landscape photography market vibrant enough to justify saving money for 3 years for a film camera to use only for landscapes? I thought people go into film for the love of film. I didn't think there was much money in it. My point being, are you going into it with the right intensions or should you look at panoramic options for your digital (ie. stitching frames in photoshop)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at scanners first. A good quality professional scanner to take medium format probably will cost as much as the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mazen View Post
    4- When I develop a color film, can I scan the negative to my computer and get the picture and print it?,
    5-what is a type of good scanner and how much does it cost?
    These really are questions for our sister site: DPUG. We do not normally discuss digital technical matters here. However, yes, you can scan color film. If you're going to do that and print digitally, why not just shoot digital in the first place?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You may want to start by trying out a roll film camera that can shoot 6x9 format and crop it. This will teach you how to use a meter properly, scanning film, and use a manual camera. There are pretty inexpensive cameras out there that could shoot 6x9 like a Mamiya 23 or an old folding camera. You could probably learn 80% of what you'd need to learn that way and you can always sell the camera at the end if you wanted to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there a community college near where you live, if so you can learn about film photograthy.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Mazen !

Ron

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to film! You will live it! Like Mark says, maybe get a cheap 6x9 folder and get you hands wet. I highly suggest a copy of the below, which can be found used for less than a cup of coffee....

Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual by Henry Horenstein and Carol Keller (May 30, 1983)
    Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin